Moving from full fask to nasal only mask?
Luvmyzzz Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp
Humidifier: Built In
CPAP Pressure: 9-13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: First diagnosed with essential hypertension @ age 25 (precursor to CHF)

Sex: Female

RE: Moving from full fask to nasal only mask?
(04-07-2016 06:50 AM)dawoodsman Wrote:  Any experience with this? From my experience it appears that most are directed to start with a full face mask. I know several long time users that swear by their nasal only masks and continually tell me that's the solution to my problems with not sleeping more than a few hours with a full face before waking up.

I understand there is some thought that mouth breathers need a full face, but two of the guys insist they are and that the nasal mask fixed their issues as well.

I liked the amara view but can't live with the air flow issue it has. The mask I have now seems to be one of the better full face designs. To my knowledge there is nothing else even close to as small inobtrusive as the amara view--thus I'm wondering about trying a nasal only. Doc says it's worth a try.

Hi Dawoodsman! Coffee Go with your Doc's suggestions, you won't know until you try, everyone has their own likes/dislikes. My personal choice ended up as a
nasal mask, you'll know when you find what works 4 you, because you'll have a GOOD nights sleep! That's the goal right? Hope you find what you like, & sweet dreams to you! Sleep-well

I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
04-08-2016 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
dawoodsman Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed airsense 10 autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: WillletuknowifIeverfindonethatworks!
Humidifier: Resmed--attached
CPAP Pressure: 5-16
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Moving from full fask to nasal only mask?
I don't normally breathe through my mouth during the day, but I know at times I do at night. Plus I have a history of allergies and some asthma which I am thinking has some bearing on the conscious and unconscious problems I seem to be having adapting to masks. Having something that restricts or alters my breathing clamped onto my face is bound to create a reaction given my history. Thinking the least obtrusive mask possible is the likely path to getting used to it the fastest. Several weeks in now and I've just had 3 days with 5 hours or so of sleep with the thing--none with 6 or more, and many with just 2-3 before waking. I'm not worried about it in the long run, just looking to get there with whatever works best.
04-10-2016 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 15 383 10-21-2016 08:52 AM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask? Spy Car 40 1,683 10-15-2016 06:11 AM
Last Post: rwelliot
  AHI 15.91 on first full night of CPAP wayne99 11 528 10-04-2016 09:23 AM
Last Post: wayne99
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 7 321 10-02-2016 08:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepypokey
  Full Mask improvement (progress) jxyzobrien 3 204 09-29-2016 01:18 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  full face mask emu bob 2 192 09-15-2016 03:19 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
Question Nasal Pillows and Mask Leak resaebiunne 19 920 09-12-2016 11:41 AM
Last Post: vcottom