Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moving from full fask to nasal only mask?
Moving from full fask to nasal only mask?
Any experience with this? From my experience it appears that most are directed to start with a full face mask. I know several long time users that swear by their nasal only masks and continually tell me that's the solution to my problems with not sleeping more than a few hours with a full face before waking up.

I understand there is some thought that mouth breathers need a full face, but two of the guys insist they are and that the nasal mask fixed their issues as well.

I liked the amara view but can't live with the air flow issue it has. The mask I have now seems to be one of the better full face designs. To my knowledge there is nothing else even close to as small inobtrusive as the amara view--thus I'm wondering about trying a nasal only. Doc says it's worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moving from full fask to nasal only mask?
I'm a newbie to all of this having been using for just a couple of months now. I too started with the Amara View and just started last Saturday using the Dreamwear. I used it for three days before coming down with a cold. I've been back on the FFM thru last night because of the crud. I too was kinda concerned about mouth breathing but after using the Dreamwear for those few night, luckily for me, that doesn't seem to be a problem. I really like the Dreamwear due to the comfortable design. Ready for this cold to go away so I can get back to using it. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dawoodsman. I don't know if a nasal mask is right for you, but if you decide to try one, I like the Respironics Wisp. The air vents to the side, the hose is routed over the head, and after I got the headgear adjusted the way I like it, I now just slip it on and off without undoing the side connections.

I tried a Respironics Pico nasal mask briefly when I first started CPAP a few months ago, but it vented straight towards my eyes and mouth. I had other problems with it too, but the venting was the worst one.

I am getting ready to try some sort of nasal pillow next, though. That's partly because I live in an area where it's warm and humid during the summer and I'm aiming for minimal plastic on my face. I also am not entirely happy with my ability to shift to side sleeping with the Wisp. The frame goes across my temples and tends to be a little uncomfortable when I'm sleeping on my side. I haven't tried using liners between the frame and my face.

Is your APAP pressure range really 5-14? If it is, I can't help but wonder if your machine is moving quickly from low to high pressure. I would think that could maybe cause you to wake up. Just a thought. Don't know if it's the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tired the P10 pillows last night, I also use the Amara view mask and I wasn't able to do the pillows. My mouth kept wanting to open up. How do you train your body to not want to breathe through your mouth when the air is going up your nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 09:10 AM)giagray Wrote: I tired the P10 pillows last night, I also use the Amara view mask and I wasn't able to do the pillows. My mouth kept wanting to open up. How do you train your body to not want to breathe through your mouth when the air is going up your nose?

You can use a chin strap to help keep your mouth closed. You can buy one or make one, they are pretty simple, even simple elastic head bands might/ could work.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 09:10 AM)giagray Wrote: I tired the P10 pillows last night, I also use the Amara view mask and I wasn't able to do the pillows. My mouth kept wanting to open up. How do you train your body to not want to breathe through your mouth when the air is going up your nose?

Besides a chin strap, try the tongue seal technique:

Place your tongue to roof of your mouth, with the tip of tongue behind front teeth.
Then gently suck your tongue upwards. Your tongue falls into a natural position that will seal the back of your throat and stop any air from leaking out of your mouth.

This takes some practice and patience, but has been mastered by many of us. After awhile, you no longer need a chin strap. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a chin strap with my Nuance Pro. The chin strap doesn't always keep me from opening my mouth, but it does help keep my leaks well below large leak level.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
DMEs like to start people off with a full face mask because they feel it solves THEIR problems, not the client.

If you do not open your mouth during sleep, then try nasal pillows vs nasal masks. The pillows are lighter weight and leak issues are almost non-existent. Even if you do open your mouth, there are several really good chin straps to help with that. Sometimes you only need to use one for a short time and it trains your mouth to keep it closed.

I use the Nuance (non-Pro) for when I have a cold or it is allergy time. I do not breathe with my mouth open but I lip leak. A chin strap mostly helps with that but I quickly tire of wearing all the stuff on my face. I mostly wear a Simplus FFM which I love muchly.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've gone full circle from nasal, to pillows, to FF, then back to nasal. I kinda liked the nasal at first, but I had too many mouth leaks. I tried a chin strap with a pillow mask, but I found that I couldn't tolerate the pillows against my nostrils, nor could I tolerate the strap holding my jaw closed. I then tried a FF mask but I couldn't get used to the air blowing straight against my lips or the bulk of the mask. If my mouth opened during the night, the resulting dryness was awful. I could hardly swallow and couldn't make saliva. Then I went back to the nasal mask after I started using the tongue positioning method to seal off my mouth (thanks forum). Now my tongue positions itself automatically and stays there. It took a while, but now my therapy is stable and working as it should. I rarely have an AHI over 3, never over 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 06:50 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: Any experience with this? From my experience it appears that most are directed to start with a full face mask. I know several long time users that swear by their nasal only masks and continually tell me that's the solution to my problems with not sleeping more than a few hours with a full face before waking up.

I understand there is some thought that mouth breathers need a full face, but two of the guys insist they are and that the nasal mask fixed their issues as well.

I liked the amara view but can't live with the air flow issue it has. The mask I have now seems to be one of the better full face designs. To my knowledge there is nothing else even close to as small inobtrusive as the amara view--thus I'm wondering about trying a nasal only. Doc says it's worth a try.

dawoodsman,

I am curious, do you breath through your mouth during the day? Because if you don't, then you are not a mouth breather and perhaps are doing it out of habit at night. The suggestions for correcting that in this thread are excellent.

If you do breath through your mouth during the day, you might want to see an ENT to be evaluated for nasal obstruction issues. The ENT should do a nasoendoscopy to evaluate potential problem areas.

If this is the case, I would still try a nasal mask as I don't think you have anything to lose. But keep this in mind.

As an FYI, I erroneously thought I was a mouth breather and went through what I call full face mask h-ll. Finally, settling on the elan cloth nasal mask listed in my profile was the right choice for me. It is the only mask I can tolerate but my experience is definitely not typical so keep that in mind.

Best of luck to you.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,584 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.