Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moving on from CPAP
Moving on from CPAP
I've been using CPAP therapy for about 17 months. My machines have been the ResMed AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 ASV.

I've tried 7 different masks and currently am using the ResMed AirFit F30.

Although I had some initial success after moving to the AirCurve 10 ASV, I find I am sleeping poorly and feel it during the day. The OSCAR results show that when the mask is in use my AHI is less than one, I just cannot tolerate the mask or system. I either take the mask off after a few hours of sleep or wake up after 5 or 6 hours and that's it for the night.

When I stopped using CPAP in January I instantly started feeling better, but in looking at my initial SNAP overnight oxygen study, I think I probably need to continue some form of therapy.

Has anyone stopped using CPAP in favor of mandibular advancement or Inspire? How did that work out for you?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moving on from CPAP
I've not had any other treatment. I will say I've looked into alternate treatments with an ENT as I was about to try BPAP. He told me PAP type would be best results. That was before my central apnea was revealed and then COPD as well. I've moved on from my ASV because of COPD and getting a NIV soon.

I won't attempt to talk you out of your plan, but there's been some here that's gone those other routes with mixed results. Some it's working and others it's failed. Those where it works it seems they had low apnea to combat. Those who have moderate apnea and worse those alternatives tend to disappoint.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Searching the Main forum, using the term, "mandibular", it returned over 300 posts on the subject.  Using the term, "Inspire" returned 240 posts.  From my (feeble) memory, it seems that the MADs created their own problems with jaw and teeth alignment.  The Inspire device just delays the use of a CPAP, at best.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/search....order=desc

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/search....d=0&page=4
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then what's a poor boy to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just trying to help here, I had a similar experience early on in apnea therapy that when I had plain Bilevel I was better for not using the PAP because my therapy needs were above BPAP. Mine was due to the wrong machine. Maybe your issue is similar in the sense that you are on the wrong PAP machine. I had talked to an ENT in 2015 when I was trying to avoid PAP because the first encounter with CPAP was terrible. The ENT said nothing but the right PAP machine could help me. Again maybe your best bet is to find the right PAP machine, get it, and use it. And if you need to process with insurance, you need to have a doctor that is actually working to help you get that right therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gasp, we should have figured it out by now, but what are we treating? Why does oxygen drop? Is this an obstructive problem or central or both? I remember seeing some of your past threads, but don't recall the details. I'm sure an appropriate therapy exists that can be tailored to be less disruptive. INSPIRE and MAD have specific mechanisms of apnea that they target, and usually with about 50% efficacy. The point of sleep disordered breathing therapy is to obviously address apnea and hypopnea that may be unhealthy, but it has to resolve the sleep disorder part of the equation, or it fails.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for working with me on this! I don't know how you guys can find the hours to do this. I started using CPAP again last night, and although I got about 8 hours in with one trip to the bathroom during the night, I still don't feel so good today. Maybe it's all the days off (since January 19, 2020). I get about zero help from my CPAP doctor. I went to using an ASV machine on the suggestions from this board. The OSCAR readings have been terrific since then. See last night's report:

But many nights I can't tolerate it and take it off. Usually it's because it disrupts my sleep, uncomfortable, that sort of thing.

I'm going to ask my PCP (not CPAP doc) for a nighttime oximetry study which has never been done to see if it really improves my O2 saturation from previous studies before starting CPAP.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it'll help if you're running ASV Auto Mode with an EPAP range. It appeared to be in ASV mode. Instead of what appeared as EPAP 6 it could be EPAP Min 6 and EPAP Max somewhere about 12.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Has anyone stopped using CPAP in favor of mandibular advancement or Inspire? How did that work out for you?

After full mask problems when I was first diagnosed in 2000, I was moved from CPAP to a Thornton Adjustable Positioner for about eight years. It was adequate for that period of my life but eventually my apnea progressed beyond what the TAP device could address.  In retrospect I wish I could have had nasal surgery back then instead so that I could used nasal pillows (as I do now) and spared myself the dental under-bite that persists unto this day. (I feel fortunate that I was not among those who ended up with serious mandibular complications such as TMJ.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe I am already in auto ASV.

Here are shots of the clinical menu from the Air Curve 10:

These are the settings I believe you and Sleeprider suggested back in 5/6/2020.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 601 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 410 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 442 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou
  [Treatment] Koala1 - Moving to Resmed, aerophagia, please help with optimization koala1 101 7,204 05-27-2023, 03:52 AM
Last Post: koala1
  Moving from BiPAP to CPAP during Travel NotSleeplessInSeattle 3 985 12-10-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Moving Data Card to New Machine Abletree 2 772 04-20-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Mask moving jaw back anomaly32 10 1,940 12-14-2021, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.