Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What kind of dreams do you have?
This poll is closed.
Not sleeping/Not dreaming.
0%
0 0%
Violent dreams/Scary dreams/“fight or flight”
15.00%
3 15.00%
Puzzle dreams/unsolvable problems/searching for a solution.
25.00%
5 25.00%
Non-event/random thoughts/pleasant dreams
40.00%
8 40.00%
Good sound sleep without remembering.
20.00%
4 20.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What kind of dreams do you have?
I have always been fascinated with dreams, what they mean and where they come from. After googling dreams for years, I think they relate to sleep quality. I have broken dreams into 5 groups according to sleep quality as I see it from bad to good.

a. Not sleeping / Not dreaming
You cannot dream if you do not sleep. 
b. Violent dreams / Scary dreams / “fight or flight”
You will try to wake up to avoid further involvement. 
c. Puzzle dreams / unsolvable problems / searching for a solution. 
You are presented with a challenge that you cannot solve. 
d. Non-event dreams / random thoughts / pleasant dreams / Boring dreams
The dream does not wake you but the sleep cycle does not complete. You remember the dream vividly. 
e. Good sound sleep and don’t remember dreaming.
You sleep through the night without waking up between sleep cycles. 

After 5 years of steady progress, I have gone through all 5 types. Most recently I have a mix between non-event and good sound sleep and finally feeling great. 

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What kind of dreams do you have?
Rcgop,
You do not mention lucid dreams - the type most easily remembered as they occur during the time spent between fully asleep and fully awake. These often involve trying to resolve real-world personal issues and puzzles and can be recurring and somewhat self-directed. As for more common dreams that occur during REM sleep I have difficulty remembering details unless they are highly unusual and lead you to awaken suddenly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2020, 03:55 PM)Grandpapa-G Wrote: Rcgop,
You do not mention lucid dreams - the type most easily remembered as they occur during the time spent between fully asleep and fully awake. These often involve trying to resolve real-world personal issues and puzzles and can be recurring and somewhat self-directed. As for more common dreams that occur during REM sleep I have difficulty remembering details unless they are highly unusual and lead you to awaken suddenly.

I did not include lucid dreams as it’s own category because I assumed them to be in the scary or puzzle category. And, yes, they are very disruptive to sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine fall into the "all of the above" category.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunate I don't fit in one category, as is typical for me. I have been given the lot for complex things. Complex apnea and etc. Right now, I don't fit in one, so I defer answering for now. Sleep is poor while I fight everybody on getting a new therapy device above ASV. Complex issues see listing for Dave.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
in the worst throes of apnea my dreams would be short, repetitive and always having some kind of boundaries. I wish I could explain that better; I think those dreams corresponded to apnea events. sometimes I dreamt about being able to breathe just enough to survive under water, also apnea related I think. I remember years ago waking a number of times with the thought that whatever I was dreaming, if I could only remember it, would make great fodder for a book or a movie. now I rarely remember dreams, not even sure I dream very much at all. if I think about it I think they tend to be like black and white still images, thoughts more than movies. I might think someone was in the dream but I don't often actually see and interact with them. I don't think I dream 'normally', maybe because my sleep is still too fragmented.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was at my low point, I would dream that I was desperate for sleep, but could not sleep. I guess you would call it a lucid dream.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 07:45 AM)RNeil Wrote: When I was at my low point, I would dream that I was desperate for sleep, but could not sleep. I guess you would call it a lucid dream.

This was what I was thinking for the puzzle dream. A problem that cannot be solved by continuing to sleep. Only waking and completely starting over.
Post Reply Post Reply
the puzzle sounds akin to the bounded repetitive dreams that I experienced before cpap. same theme or story over & over, maybe changing slightly, stopping but never ending or resolving. I came to understand them to correspond to apnea, i.e., I think they started when I stopped breathing & stopped when I started to breathe. that's one reason I felt they had boundaries of some kind, like a figurative box containing the repetitive theme or story. very hard to describe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had repetitive dreams in the past--and now that I think about it usually before I fell completely to sleep. They were often computer related--something needed to be done. Haven't had a scary dream in ages--usually pleasant story-type that can morph into a different subject. I seldom can remember what I was dreaming about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What kind of breathing is this? sprinter 3 412 01-05-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Luna 2 solfware. Heres where to go . (kind of like oscar watertrails 4 1,955 09-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: rubbercow
  Vivid Dreams is this normal? Apnope 8 785 05-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  Where did my dreams go ? DaveCar 7 786 09-10-2022, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  Understanding what kind of leak I have arunjb 15 1,671 08-05-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What kind of communication did you get fr doctor/DME starting CPAP? theredheadsaid 9 957 07-27-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.