Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Multiple Sessions and blanks in session bar
Multiple Sessions and blanks in session bar
Hi,

First I want to say Thank you so much for this awesome software. It is so much fun to see what is going on with my sleep apnea. I have the Aircurve 10S which is set for CPAP. I was originally prescribed BiPAP, but did not work with my combo central and obstructive apnea.

I just realized that I have multiple session data on some nights. I initially did not pay much attention to this sessions graphic as I only saw this division on occasion. Now I am wondering if there is a problem with my machine. I have really broken sessions, blanks in the sessions bar, and sometimes gaps in pressure graph.

Why would my sleep split into sessions if I do not turn off the unit? I do not shut the machine of in the middle of the night, if I need to use the bathroom I detach from the hose and reattach when I return. This usually registers as a large leak, for about 1 minute in the leak graph on Sleepyhead or Oscar.

I have a number of days with different breaks in the sessions I will include a couple screenshot so you can see what I am referring too.

Thanks so much for input,

Cynthia

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Multiple Sessions and blanks in session bar
Do you have "SmartStart" set to On?  It is possible that the machine thinks it is disconnected and turns itself off, then back on again later.  As you say, a short break will usually register as a large leak.  But take a little too long and the machine will turn itself off and then back on when you reconnect.

Please see the link below for the best way to organize your charts so we can see the most relevant information.  The calendar is especially useless in examining the data and the pie chart not too useful.  It would be useful to see the list of sessions near the bottom of the left side of the screen and see if any were disabled.

It is usually most useful to look at recent days where your memory of what happened that night is better than something that happened a few months ago.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Smart start has always been off on my unit. Here is one of those charts as you have requested. I am not sure if you can tell any more at this point, since I don't remember the history of these sleep sessions. I started taking notice when a sleep session time from cpap machine was shorter than I new it was. Then I saw missing pressure data and looked back over my history and found several times with pressure gaps and multiple sessions and what appear to be missing sessions like this one in screenshot. I always wear the mask all night. Cheers, Cynthia

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 01:13 PM)pageski Wrote: Thank you, Smart start has always been off on my unit. Here is one of those charts as you have requested. I am not sure if you can tell any more at this point, since I don't remember the history of these sleep sessions. I started taking notice when a sleep session time from cpap machine was shorter than I new it was. Then I saw missing pressure data and looked back over my history and found several times with pressure gaps and multiple sessions and what appear to be missing sessions like this one in screenshot. I always wear the mask all night. Cheers, Cynthia

When I look at this chart, I see about a 1 hour gap between 5 am and 6 am.  And, in that gap, there is a 15 minute session that has been disabled so is not shown on the graphs.  The red bar in the session list indicates the session is disabled.  You can click on the red bar or on the session itself to re-enable it (or do the same to disable a session you want not to appear in your charts).
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply. I did not realize you can enable/disable session. Yes, this hour gap between about 5 and 6 is what I am concerned about. I don't understand it. I was asleep, there is this no pressure reading, yet there is a 15 minute session segment during this gap. Very confusing Smile What does this all mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 02:21 PM)pageski Wrote: Thanks for your reply. I did not realize you can enable/disable session. Yes, this hour gap between about 5 and 6 is what I am concerned about. I don't understand it. I was asleep, there is this no pressure reading, yet there is a 15 minute session segment during this gap. Very confusing Smile What does this all mean?

You could see what happens if you import your SD card into SleepyHead 1.0.0-beta-2.  If SH and OSCAR recognize a different number of sessions, that is a concern.  If you like working with difficult programs, you could also import your data into ResMed's own program, RESSCAN.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I did just start using Oscar, but noticed these patterns with SleepyHead also.

What is the purpose of the multiple sessions? Is that suppose to indicate the machine has been turned off and back on? How would the graph look if you took a nap at 3 to 4 PM, then went to bed 6 hours later? When there is more than one session per night they are sometimes different colors yellow then blue and sometimes blue, what does that indicate?

Finally do you think the SD card could be a problem or the machine be faulty? I suppose I would wake up if the machine turns off as I would have a hard time breathing.

Thanks for any insight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 04:54 PM)pageski Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. I did just start using Oscar, but noticed these patterns with SleepyHead also.

What is the purpose of the multiple sessions? Is that suppose to indicate the machine has been turned off and back on? How would the graph look if you took a nap at 3 to 4 PM, then went to bed 6 hours later? When there is more than one session per night they are sometimes different colors yellow then blue and sometimes blue, what does that indicate?

Finally do you think the SD card could be a problem or the machine be faulty? I suppose I would wake up if the machine turns off as I would have a hard time breathing.

Thanks for any insight!

A "session" is reported by your machine; OSCAR (or SH) just tells you what the machine said.  A session is a period of time during which your machine was running and trying to deliver the pressure it was set to.  I.e., it is the period of time between when machine was turned on and when it was turned off.

If you took a nap from 3-4 pm and then slept from 10 pm to 6 am with the machine running continuously during the nap and again at night, you would expect two sessions: a one-hour session beginning at 3 pm and an 8 hour session beginning at 10 pm.  That long block of sleep from 10 pm to 6 am would be reported by your machine as multiple sessions if for some reason the machine was turned off and then back on during that time.

If you have a spare SD card around, by all means try it.  But I doubt that is the reason for multiple sessions.  I can breathe ok with the machine off; I have gone an entire night all masked up and have forgotten to turn the machine on.  However, since you have SmartStart off, it should not be turning itself off and then back on.

By Blue and Yellow, are you referring to the color of the session bar pieces?  It's embarrassing, but I can't recall immediately what the color difference means.  I'm sure it will come back to me, but obviously isn't something I pay much attention to. 

If you move your mouse over the session bar, the segment your mouse is over will be "highlighted" by becoming much lighter.  If a segment has no color (aka is white), it means the segment is disabled (which is accomplished by clicking on the piece of the segment bar or on the selector bar in the list of sessions.  (If you disable a session by clicking on the list, rather than on the bar itself, the bar color doesn't change until you move the mouse over it, when it goes to no color.  That's a bug, it should obviously repaint with no color as soon as you disable the session.  I'll log that as a small bug.)
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for this comprehensive answer. So there are multiple reason why I would have no reading; if the machine was turned off, if there was an electrical outage, if the SD card or machine is faulty. I do not turn of the machine in the middle of the night, if there was an electrical outage my bedside clock would flash noon, so it must be the card or the machine.

I also use oxygen, I think I would know if the machine was off. I find it hard to breath when it is off, although I did fall asleep one time without the oxygen on and sleep all night.

What I find especially weird is the machine seemingly turning off and then on again. I fell I am no closer to the truth of what is going on but I sure do appreciate your answers.

What do you think happened in this last graph which has a gap from about 5 am to 6 am yest has a session of 15 minutes recorded?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 08:16 PM)pageski Wrote: Thank you for this comprehensive answer. So there are multiple reason why I would have no reading; if the machine was turned off, if there was an electrical outage, if the SD card or machine is faulty. I do not turn of the machine in the middle of the night, if there was an electrical outage my bedside clock would flash noon, so it must be the card or the machine.

I also use oxygen, I think I would know if the machine was off. I find it hard to breath when it is off, although I did fall asleep one time without the oxygen on and sleep all night.

What I find especially weird is the machine seemingly turning off and then on again. I fell I am no closer to the truth of what is going on but I sure do appreciate your answers.

What do you think happened in this last graph which has a gap from about 5 am to 6 am yest has a session of 15 minutes recorded?

In the last graph, the session is clearly marked as disabled.  I'm guessing you accidentally clicked on a session.  But that doesn't offer any explanation as to why OSCAR is reporting more sessions than you think are happening.

Besides the SD card or the machine, it could also be the software!  The most definitive test you could make would be to install ResScan and see what it says.  Or, you could send me a zip file of the SD card and I could look at it.  (I'll send you a PM about that.)

Regarding yellow vs blue session bars, memory has returned!  The session bars just alternate between yellow and blue for visual separation.  There is no other significance to the color.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Reports Omitted Some ResMed Sleep Sessions RTolley 2 242 03-17-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RTolley
Question Editing session start/end times within OSCAR jas102543 6 1,705 03-12-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: j12251225
  CMS50I can't upload multiple readings chris mdp 0 255 02-15-2024, 02:20 AM
Last Post: chris mdp
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 362 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Not all session data is imported clan 21 2,331 12-01-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Use OSCAR on multiple pc's Markf2 2 561 11-07-2023, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Issue: Oscar imported session partially alexroz 3 593 11-04-2023, 04:15 AM
Last Post: alexroz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.