Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: Multiple sleep tests
I have been using CPAP since Nov 2010, saw the doctor on occasion but now I,m not sure of any any benefit seeing the doctor again.
I,ll schedule an appointment with the sleep clinic, if thought something is wrong ... otherwise if not broken, don,t fix it
01-31-2014 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

I just had a follow up with the sleep lab after having started therapy end of November. Don't have to go back for a year and then just for an office visit. They did ask me to let them know if my weight shifts significantly up or down. Pressure needs change with significant weight changes. They mentioned giving me a home sleep study to check things out if weight changes.
01-31-2014 08:06 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-31-2014 08:00 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:  
(01-31-2014 07:46 PM)me50 Wrote:  are you having problems with your cpap therapy or having symptoms that would make your doc have concerns that something might be seriously wrong?

I don't think so, it's all new to me though. My AHI on my 1st sleep test was very high and he stop short in saying it's almost the worst he has seen (he just says it's as bad as it gets) as I stop breathing for a long time and just showed me paper with big red circles around the wav forms (like in sleepyhead) on it then took it back. Also my follow up appointment was moved up after the sleep test because of the results.

My stats seem ok, I range from 7 to 1.9 AHI each night with the majority being CA events.

The Cpap definitely helps, I don't wake up with a heavy head, headache and have more energy in the day. Maybe if my second sleep test goes well, I won't have to keep coming back.

I hope that if your doc thought something was wrong, he/she would have you in the office for an appointment.

I am sure you know that getting your AHI below 5 is the ideal goal. Maybe your doc is watching the CA events to see what happens because your machine won't treat a "true" case of CA. It isn't all that uncommon when starting CPAP therapy to have CAs. I just started on VPAP on the 16th and I have some CAs and I have been using CPAPs for about 3 years. Different machine, different pressure settings, just starting CPAP therapy and a number of other things can cause temporary CAs. My best advice to you is to relax, use your machine every time you sleep and try not to worry about things unless there is some really big changes that last over several days. there is an adjustment period and if you are just starting, that is probably what you are dealing with.
01-31-2014 08:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: s9 elite
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(01-31-2014 08:09 PM)me50 Wrote:  I hope that if your doc thought something was wrong, he/she would have you in the office for an appointment.

I am sure you know that getting your AHI below 5 is the ideal goal. Maybe your doc is watching the CA events to see what happens because your machine won't treat a "true" case of CA. It isn't all that uncommon when starting CPAP therapy to have CAs. I just started on VPAP on the 16th and I have some CAs and I have been using CPAPs for about 3 years. Different machine, different pressure settings, just starting CPAP therapy and a number of other things can cause temporary CAs. My best advice to you is to relax, use your machine every time you sleep and try not to worry about things unless there is some really big changes that last over several days. there is an adjustment period and if you are just starting, that is probably what you are dealing with.

Thanks man. Now that I think about it. I still have issues sleeping on my back, the events go through the roof in SleepyHead and you can tell when I was on my back looking at the wav form in SH. I can feel myself stop breathing (even on Cpap), but I am a side sleeper anyways.

Anyways maybe I'll make a thread about it later. I don't want to derail this one with my tails of woe Smile Cheers.
01-31-2014 08:27 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Try using a backpack loaded with 3 tubes of tennis balls and see if your AHI goes down. $20
It will drive you nuts for a few days but hang in there. Wink
Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
02-01-2014 05:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(02-01-2014 05:31 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  Try using a backpack loaded with 3 tubes of tennis balls and see if your AHI goes down. $20
It will drive you nuts for a few days but hang in there. Wink
Good luck!

I would gladly invest in tennis balls if I could fall asleep on my side. That is my problem. I like to sleep on my side but every time I try, I just lay there awake for hours.
02-01-2014 05:38 PM
amwpanda Offline

New Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machin
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro™ FX
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series
CPAP Pressure: 6-12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I had a test in Jan 2014, and then another one last week. But since then I habe lost a whole lot of weight and quite smoking. Due to that I have got from moderate to mild sleep apnea and having the setting on my CPAP changed for me. For some one without probable cause, I do not know how often one should be tested. The best i can see is to judge if your sleep is getting better or worse. I am lucky, the test only costs me $40, and nothing to have the tech change my machine.
09-10-2015 06:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

After the initial sleep study, it's pretty much up to your sleep doc as to how often you need a follow-up study. In the 20 years I've been receiving therapy, I've had two studies done. The second one was done when I changed sleep docs and no one could find the original sleep study results. I used to see the doc once every year; but now I only see him when I need a a script for a new machine.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-10-2015 11:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long until changes in blood tests or medications? NorthernGuy 11 770 09-04-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  waking up multiple time rhodesengr 8 1,018 03-03-2016 03:44 PM
Last Post: robertbuckley
  Sleep Tests in NYC? Yawn Boone 3 678 10-11-2015 08:11 AM
Last Post: robertbuckley
Ohmy Pulmonary Fitness Tests kingskid 6 1,873 05-09-2015 08:11 PM
Last Post: kingskid
  [Diagnosis] MSLT(multiple sleep latency test) then & now woozie38 1 790 02-03-2015 08:03 PM
Last Post: woozie38
  What tests can my PCP run before sleep doc appointment? nila 21 3,934 06-25-2013 06:17 PM
Last Post: RonWessels
  [News] More sleep labs, more unneeded tests ApneaNews 3 1,652 01-08-2013 08:56 PM
Last Post: Shastzi