Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Multiple sleep tests
RE: Multiple sleep tests
I have been using CPAP since Nov 2010, saw the doctor on occasion but now I,m not sure of any any benefit seeing the doctor again.
I,ll schedule an appointment with the sleep clinic, if thought something is wrong ... otherwise if not broken, don,t fix it

Post Reply Post Reply
I just had a follow up with the sleep lab after having started therapy end of November. Don't have to go back for a year and then just for an office visit. They did ask me to let them know if my weight shifts significantly up or down. Pressure needs change with significant weight changes. They mentioned giving me a home sleep study to check things out if weight changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 08:00 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 07:46 PM)me50 Wrote: are you having problems with your cpap therapy or having symptoms that would make your doc have concerns that something might be seriously wrong?

I don't think so, it's all new to me though. My AHI on my 1st sleep test was very high and he stop short in saying it's almost the worst he has seen (he just says it's as bad as it gets) as I stop breathing for a long time and just showed me paper with big red circles around the wav forms (like in sleepyhead) on it then took it back. Also my follow up appointment was moved up after the sleep test because of the results.

My stats seem ok, I range from 7 to 1.9 AHI each night with the majority being CA events.

The Cpap definitely helps, I don't wake up with a heavy head, headache and have more energy in the day. Maybe if my second sleep test goes well, I won't have to keep coming back.

I hope that if your doc thought something was wrong, he/she would have you in the office for an appointment.

I am sure you know that getting your AHI below 5 is the ideal goal. Maybe your doc is watching the CA events to see what happens because your machine won't treat a "true" case of CA. It isn't all that uncommon when starting CPAP therapy to have CAs. I just started on VPAP on the 16th and I have some CAs and I have been using CPAPs for about 3 years. Different machine, different pressure settings, just starting CPAP therapy and a number of other things can cause temporary CAs. My best advice to you is to relax, use your machine every time you sleep and try not to worry about things unless there is some really big changes that last over several days. there is an adjustment period and if you are just starting, that is probably what you are dealing with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 08:09 PM)me50 Wrote: I hope that if your doc thought something was wrong, he/she would have you in the office for an appointment.

I am sure you know that getting your AHI below 5 is the ideal goal. Maybe your doc is watching the CA events to see what happens because your machine won't treat a "true" case of CA. It isn't all that uncommon when starting CPAP therapy to have CAs. I just started on VPAP on the 16th and I have some CAs and I have been using CPAPs for about 3 years. Different machine, different pressure settings, just starting CPAP therapy and a number of other things can cause temporary CAs. My best advice to you is to relax, use your machine every time you sleep and try not to worry about things unless there is some really big changes that last over several days. there is an adjustment period and if you are just starting, that is probably what you are dealing with.

Thanks man. Now that I think about it. I still have issues sleeping on my back, the events go through the roof in SleepyHead and you can tell when I was on my back looking at the wav form in SH. I can feel myself stop breathing (even on Cpap), but I am a side sleeper anyways.

Anyways maybe I'll make a thread about it later. I don't want to derail this one with my tails of woe Smile Cheers.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try using a backpack loaded with 3 tubes of tennis balls and see if your AHI goes down. $20
It will drive you nuts for a few days but hang in there. Wink
Good luck!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2014, 05:31 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Try using a backpack loaded with 3 tubes of tennis balls and see if your AHI goes down. $20
It will drive you nuts for a few days but hang in there. Wink
Good luck!

I would gladly invest in tennis balls if I could fall asleep on my side. That is my problem. I like to sleep on my side but every time I try, I just lay there awake for hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a test in Jan 2014, and then another one last week. But since then I habe lost a whole lot of weight and quite smoking. Due to that I have got from moderate to mild sleep apnea and having the setting on my CPAP changed for me. For some one without probable cause, I do not know how often one should be tested. The best i can see is to judge if your sleep is getting better or worse. I am lucky, the test only costs me $40, and nothing to have the tech change my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
After the initial sleep study, it's pretty much up to your sleep doc as to how often you need a follow-up study. In the 20 years I've been receiving therapy, I've had two studies done. The second one was done when I changed sleep docs and no one could find the original sleep study results. I used to see the doc once every year; but now I only see him when I need a a script for a new machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 249 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 718 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad Big Regression - high resp rates prior to multiple wake ups a night FordGuy84 10 893 11-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: FordGuy84
  Multiple surgeries, consistent BiPAP user, still struggling with exhaustion erica721 5 749 11-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: erica721
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 998 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  has anyone else get heart arrythmia after apnea multiple events Jessher 2 411 10-15-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.