Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My 12 year old daughter just started cpap now I can't work SH
My 12 year old daughter just started cpap now I can't work SH
Hello, last night was my daughters 3rd night on cpap! She's been really struggling and has some health issues so I'm hoping this helps her feel better and be able to function at school.   

The first two nights on cpap didn't go well. She was uncomfortable and kept waking up. There were lots of mask leaks (and crying). I put her data in Sleepyhead and I spent the entire day yesterday learning how to read the graphs. The first two nights data isn't representative of her typical night sleep. There were so many "sessions" and it was difficult to figure out. 

Last night she did really well!! She said it was a little hard to fall asleep and she woke up once because the inside of her mask was wet. This morning it was wet too. I was excited to check sleepyhead but now I can't import the data anymore. I'm not good with computers and I'm wondering if someone can help. MyAir doesn't give pressure information and that's what I'm really interested in. It seems like she spent a lot of her first two nights at her higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My 12 year old daughter just started cpap now I can't work Sleepyhead
You may have to try a new registration in sleepyhead and see if it will recognize you/her.  Or, did you possibly write protect the SD card and not undo that function before you restored it into the machine's slot?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is hard enough for adults and maybe more so for a child.

The first thing is to find a mask that fits her well and doesn’t leak. Does your daughter mouth breath? If not, you could try switching to a nasal or nasal pillow mask.

If there’s moisture in the mask, try turning down the humidity level. Also use a heated hose which prevents moisture in the hose.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you can’t import data anymore. Do you mean to SleepyHead? Can you explain?
Make sure the SD card in placed back in the Cpap while she is sleeping.

To get more precise advise, follow the links below in my signature line to take a Screenshot of the Daily page. Pay attention to the layout of the graphs. Then use the attachment feature to post her data here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The other possibility of why the mask is wet is if she drools in her sleep at all. I went so far as to turn off the humidifier on my machine trying to figure out the water in my mask, only to finally realize it was drool. It doesn't happen every night for me, but it has so far been a 3-4 nights a week thing for me (disclaimer, I've been using a cpap machine for barely 2 weeks, I'm still VERY new to this!). Doing a search on here I found that some folks recommended the Remzzz mask liners for such problems. After finding the Remzzz site I discovered that they're willing to mail you a trial pack of the liners for free, so I have trial pack on order. They haven't arrived yet, but I'm anxious to try them as water in the mask is highly annoying and definitely a factor for why I keep waking up in the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just went to the main page to set up a new registration and it says it's shutdown! Is this why I'm having trouble? I did the same thing as I did the previous 2 days with the sd card and sleepyhead. Yesterday after looking at sleepyhead I took it out of my laptop, unlocked it, and put it back in the cpap. Then this morning I took it out, locked it, then put it in my laptop. I go up to File, click on Import Data. Then a box pops up and says Would you like to import from this location? and I click Yes, then when I go to the daily graph for last night it's not there. The previous two days are there still. 

I'm hoping this mask works. The first night she tried an airfit nasal mask but she kept opening her mouth. The 2nd night she tried the simplus full face but I think the straps weren't adjusted properly. Last night we adjusted the straps and I don't think it was leaking. 

We do have the heated hose and have the humidity set on auto. And yes, it could be drool. Thank you for telling me about the liners, I will look into those.
Post Reply Post Reply
LucysMom, if you get the Sleepyhead import worked out, we can help you to interpret the graphs. The instructions for getting a good screenshot is the Organizing Your Sleepyhead Chart link in my signature. You can attach the charts you have by taking a screenshot (F12). The screenshot is stored in the Sleepyhead/Screenshots folder in My Documents. Try to not make any changes until she adapts to the therapy, however you should look at whether the machine has been setup with Exhale Pressure Relief (EPR), as this can make using the machine much more comfortable.

The most important part of this process for your daughter is to make it comfortable and encouraging. You can buy a really soft fleece hose cover on Amazon. It is very inexpensive, makes the tube look less medical and is comfortable on the skin. It also helps avoid condensation (rain-out) which is likely the source of wetness in the mask. Snugglehose and Tender Tubing are a couple styles to look at.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got sleepyhead to work! I deleted her profile and started a new one and it read last nights data. Should I zoom in on a certain area or is what I've attached ok?

I read about EPR yesterday and set it at 2. Would the goal be for me to have that off once she's comfortable? I thought I read that it could make the treatment not as effective. I will also buy a hose cover thank you. Do you think I should turn the humidity off of auto and turn it down? She said when she pulled the mask away from her face it sprayed water on her.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Let's take a close-up view of the flow rate at 5:10 so we can see what is going on there and why pressure is increasing so rapidly. A zoomed view should be about 2-minutes long so the wave-form is visible. The AHI is pretty decent here at 1.4 and the pattern for the obstructive apnea is that it occurs randomly, mostly when the machine is at or near the minimum pressure. This suggests that the minimum pressure of 6.0 might eventually need to be raised slightly. The periods where the machine is near maximum pressure, I suspect is due to flow limitation, and that is what we're going to look at more closely. This appears to be standard Autoset mode at 6 to 10 pressure with EPR at 2. Ramp is being used with a pressure of 4 for about 20 minutes. You should ask your daughter if she feels like she is not getting enough air when she starts, and consider turning off ramp if she affirms that. You can see the flow rate has more amplitude during the ramp period, and that may suggest she is struggling to get enough air at that low pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a fellow mom to a CPAPer, your daughter is doing great! It took my son 2 months to work up to keeping his mask on all night, I'm blown away that your daughter got there on night 3!

A few things that helped my son with leaks:
1. Be sure the headgear isn't to tight. The fact that mask should rest gently against the face was the was counterintuitive for my son, when he first started out he would cinch down his headgear every time he felt a leak which would result in more leaks.
2. If your daughter moves around a lot in her sleep you may want to look into purchasing a CPAP hose holder. I picked one up off Amazon for about $9. My son's hose would often get wrapped up around his neck or arms, the hose holder resolved that issue.
3. If your daughter is a side sleeper a CPAP pillow may help. Every time my son would roll onto his side his mask would squish up against the pillow and leak. There are many different kinds of pillows out there, my son likes a memory foam pillow with cutouts on each side.
4. Keep trying different types of masks until you find one that works for your daughter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a close up at 5:10. Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,471 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.