Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My 1st time here
My 1st time here
Hi there,
Just joined your site. This is actually my first time with anything to do with sleep apnea forums or posting.
My husband has told me that my snoring is pretty bad and seems to be getting worse.
I also suffer from dry mouth but that is a result of cancer 2 years ago, unfortunately a permanent condition of dry mouth. I have also looked into that today to try and improve on that and found a product of xylimelts I hope to try shortly to help remedy this severe dry mouth I have by morning.
I sleep with my mouth open, so still hoping xylimelts will work.
I get a lot of broken sleep because of the dry mouth and have water by my bed and get up to the toilet at least twice a night.
Because I sleep with my mouth open, is there any way I can remedy this, snoring or minimize it ?
People are mentioning masks and such and I just have no idea.
Help would be much appreciated, this is all new to me.
I need to get a full nights sleep for once and not wake with my mouth dry as a bone and with headaches.
Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My 1st time here
G'day Robynjf - welcome to Apnea Board.

Snoring is often a sign of obstructive sleep apnea, which happens when your airway collapses and breathing is obstructed. Your soft palate and tongue slip down and back, closing off the airway - snoring occurs as the air coming in via your nose and mouth makes that mass vibrate. If the airway gets completely blocked, the snoring will stop - followed a few moments later by a gasping for breath.

Frequent urination during the night is also a sign of sleep apnea. But in your case, it may just be because you are drinking excessive amounts to overcome the dry mouth. I'm not familiar with Xyliments, but there is a range of products (mouthwash, toothpaste, gels) by Biotene, which are also said to be very good for overcoming dry mouth.

As to whether you may have apnea, this needs to be diagnosed with a sleep study. This normally requires an overnight in a clinic, where they wire you up and monitor your breathing (and a whole lot of other stuff) while you sleep. Depending on your health cover you might be able to get a study done with no out-of-pocket expense. I know that Snore Australia bulk bill, but they are mainly Qld based. From their website, they have a clinic in Liverpool - which may or may not be convenient for you. Do a web search or talk to your GP about finding a bulk-billing clinic.

If you do have apnea, the gold standard treatment is CPAP - continuous positive airway pressure. A small machine, not much bigger than a clock radio, will gently blow air through a hose and mask to pressurise your airway to stop it collapsing. It can take a bit of getting used to, but can be very effective.

Hope this helps

Post Reply Post Reply
Ooohh thank you so much. Liverpool is very convenient for me. I see my cancer Dr next month and he is at liverpool hospital. I will look I to this. Was told to get it checked through a sleep clinic. My friend recently had one done and is using some sort of mask.
Biotin does not work for me and no I don't drink excessive amounts of water during the night, just about 2 or 3 sips. I had no idea that going to the toilet during the night was a connection with sleep apnea.
Thank you so much for this info
Xylimelts I just discovered about this product today through my cancer site asking about copy g with dry mouth during the night.
It seems a very very popular product.
Its tablets when popped in mouth it becomes like an adhesive to the side of mouth and stays puts giving extra 'saliva' for up to 6 hours. Seems the people using it swear by it. Dental hygienists even said it also helps combat bacteria. So if anybody suffers dry mouth, this is supposed to be an excellent product and can be bought in Australia although an American product.
I will most certainly look into this.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Robyn. I hope that you can find some answers to your dry mouth. If your snoring is progressing then its a good chance that it is related to sleep apnea. I'd suggest a consultation with your Physician and maybe a referral to a sleep clinic for a sleep test. If you are indeed in need of a CPAP because of sleep apnea, then perhaps a full face mask will help in the dry mouth situation as well as help in the sleep apnea therapy.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Robynjf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might talk to your doc about getting a sleep study,
Good luck to you, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Low blood oxygen levels caused by apnea might explain the morning headaches.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should get that sleep study appointment as soon as possible and don't put it off... You are mentioning several classic signs of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (snoring, morning headache, nocturia, lack of refreshing sleep) and once you are being treated for it you will feel so much better!!! Good luck with getting that done quickly Smile

and
Welcome
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you every odd for your replies. As for the headaches, I'm pretty sure that is not related to my snoring. Since my reduction in saliva due to cancer 2 years ago, the headaches started. That would be the result of the excessive dry mouth I get, getting dehydrated.
I need to address it all and try this Xylimelts to increase my saliva during the night. Need to get a full nights sleep.
Thank you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I'm normally the wild one willing to step out on a limb, as it goes for the xylimelts I'd consult with my physician before attempting to use them to obtain their perspective.

I personally would be gun shy of putting something solid into my mouth, hoping it would affix itself to the roof of my mouth, cheek, tounge, or whatever oral tissue is available then going to sleep.

All I can can see is the object at some point in time dislodging and becoming a choking hazard. I wouldn't have any reservation using it while awake, but while I'm asleep.... I don't think so... just my thoughts.
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2016, 04:42 AM)icyura10 Wrote: I personally would be gun shy of putting something solid into my mouth, hoping it would affix itself to the roof of my mouth, cheek, tounge, or whatever oral tissue is available then going to sleep.

Well, I've been using a similar product (OraMoist) for over a year and believe me, failing to stick to the roof of my mouth is *not* a problem. The main problem is that if my finger is a bit moist when I stick it in my mouth the dang thing will stick to the finger!

Whatever they use to get it to stick to moist surfaces it is really darned good at it. If I have a bad night and wake early it's still stuck there and it's quite a job to peel if off though eventually it dissolves.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 203 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.