Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas?
RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas?
Sleeprider, most of what you asked is in my profile on the left.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, i didnt realize i was zoomed on a short timeframe. Try this
Post Reply Post Reply
hi REMfan62,

I'm in the same boat as you. I've also been on the CPAP for 3 weeks. Though there are noticeable improvements, they are not as exhilarating as the one after the first titration. I still experience bouts of sleepiness during the day, which I fix with coffee and the occasional power nap. I've reduced caffeine intake to 2-3 cups a day. Dancing

In 2 weeks, I will be discussing my progress with the sleep doctor. Maybe after that, I can modify pressure settings such as the ramp minimum. I feel a bit starved with 4cmH20 at the ramp start - though I'm getting used to it anyway. Earlier, the sleep lab recommended a setting of 6cm as ideal since it did not cause central apneas. Nevertheless, the sleep doc prescribed 4-10cm for me - telling me not to worry about central apneas that could occur, as they did during the titration @ pressures above 6 and below 10. My AHI averages 2.7 which sounds good according to SleepyHead. Overall, my figures are improving. How I feel though is something else. Maybe my body will take some more time to fully recover, after having been sleep-deprived for years. Unsure

It's encouraging that other members report that the wait could take up to a few months. So there's hope of better things to come.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 09:54 PM)REMfan62 Wrote: Sleeprider, most of what you asked is in my profile on the left.

REMfan62,
I believe Sleeprider is asking the specific model of your machine.
If you turn it over, (remove humidifier first), you will find a model number.
Look for either PR S1 460 or 560 series.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 09:54 PM)REMfan62 Wrote: Sleeprider, most of what you asked is in my profile on the left.

Your profile only says Remstar 60 Series. There are numerous devices that match that description. The latest screen shot (well done!) clarifies you have the Auto 560. I'll stand by my previous post that while you're doing well with CPAP, if you wanted to experiment with APAP mode, then a minimum pressure of 11 and maximum of 16 would be a good bracket to try. I also think 5.0 minimum for 20 minutes is not a good ramp setting for you. I'd start at a higher pressure for shorter time if you're comfortable with that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RemFan. Your AHI is pretty low. So you can't get a better feeling in the morning by tweaking your pressure to lower the AHI score further. Something else is at work here. It could either be Flow Limitations or it could be your body is adjusting to the new normal.

To evaluate FLs, you can put the 560 machine in APAP mode and keep max and min pressure to 14 (your current pressure). Then, you will see Flow Limitations in your sleepyhead report as well. View it for a few days and see if it is high. If not, then you are good on that front too.

Most likely, your body is adjusting to the cpap machine. Your average minute ventilation is 10Lpm and Resp rate is 17. These are pretty high. Over time, these things adjust to normal. It may take a few weeks or months for that, so hang in there.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 08:33 PM)REMfan62 Wrote: I've only been on CPAP about 3 weeks, and while I generally have more energy, I don't feel nearly as good as I thought I might after my first night on CPAP during the study. Perhaps my machine isn't functioning right in some way. I've read alot about the sleepyhead data, but there is so much, I don't even know where to look first.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Here is some recent data.

You might try switching your machine to auto and give it some head-room, and see if it fixed anything. It looks like you're set @ 14cm fixed pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Other than your first 20 minutes, I think your graph looks pretty darn good!
Myself, I am not a fan of ramp, but some people need it, especially at the beginning getting used to the machine. Maybe in a few weeks when you feel more comfortable, try setting it to APAP and opening up the pressures like suggested above.

Congratulations! Your AHI is at a level many other wish they could achieve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 10:02 AM)AshSF Wrote: RemFan. Your AHI is pretty low. So you can't get a better feeling in the morning by tweaking your pressure to lower the AHI score further. Something else is at work here. It could either be Flow Limitations or it could be your body is adjusting to the new normal.

To evaluate FLs, you can put the 560 machine in APAP mode and keep max and min pressure to 14 (your current pressure). Then, you will see Flow Limitations in your sleepyhead report as well. View it for a few days and see if it is high. If not, then you are good on that front too.

Most likely, your body is adjusting to the cpap machine. Your average minute ventilation is 10Lpm and Resp rate is 17. These are pretty high. Over time, these things adjust to normal. It may take a few weeks or months for that, so hang in there.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

What is the importance of flow limitations and how to interpret flow limitation data in Sleepyhead?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 08:33 PM)REMfan62 Wrote: I've only been on CPAP about 3 weeks, and while I generally have more energy, I don't feel nearly as good as I thought I might after my first night on CPAP during the study. Perhaps my machine isn't functioning right in some way. I've read alot about the sleepyhead data, but there is so much, I don't even know where to look first.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Here is some recent data.

1. You have more energy
  2. Your treated numbers look fantastic!
  3. You have only been treated for 3 weeks....

I know it's hard, but be patient. For me the first couple weeks I would wake more alert and with less pain, but began craving sleep a little later in the day each day, and when I say crave, I mean I wanted to sleep so badly I could hardly keep my eyes open... Every fiber wanted to crawl back into that lovely sleep! I'm at 6 months now and am just starting to feel like I have more energy, so you already have me beat. Smile My treated AHI looks fantastic too... but feeling better is gradual. I just hope it takes less time than it took me to get so out of whack from lack of sleep... because if not, I will die before it happens Bigwink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 7 202 6 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 182 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 475 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 190 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 984 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 405 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 217 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.