Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nose breather in training
nose breather in training
I've had the cpap machine for over a year now. I started with nasal masks but quickly found I was a mouth breather .. chin straps/tape didn't solve the problem so I ended up with face masks. Any leaks from the facemask causes me to be restless and it tickles/itches until I wake up.. So every so often I try the nasal masks again to see if I'm now 'trained' . Usually I fail .. but a week ago I tried again and for 4 days now, I've been using nasal mask/chin strap/collar with no large leaks or even medium size leaks.  Strange that I don't feel any leaks yet ResMed reports leaks in the 4-7 range.

I first tried nasal pillows.. medium size first, large size second.. both cause irritation. Next I tried the mask with memory foam .. it seems to be OK and is comfortable. Again, I can't feel any leaks.. but again ResMed reports leaks in the 4-7 range.

Question 1: any other nasal masks/brands I should try before settling for the memory foam mask?

Question 2: should I just be satisfied with the leak rate or should I continue to try to reduce it?

thanks/charlie
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nose breather in training
Hey Charlie, leaks are an ongoing problem for many of us. I for one can never achieve zero leaks but I think I can manage them pretty good. I found out my leaks usually occur when I’m changing position due to my mask bumping the pillow. That prompted me to try sleeping on the edge of my
pillow since I’m a side sleeper and try hanging my nasal mask over the end.

I tried those cpap pillows with the cutouts and they were a no go. The one pillow I like now is the one with foam chunks you can add or remove. For me it was just figuring out what was causing the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper as well... and I have a cpap type pillow .. it doesn't work and is uncomfortable for me.

I'm pretty sure I cause the leaks by moving around in my sleep .. don't know how to solve that problem .  :-(
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
Any leaks that don't wake you up and are under 24 l/min are nothing to worry about. Don't give them a thought. Congratulations on a problem well solved!
Post Reply Post Reply
There are 3 types of leaks, mask, mouth, and lip leaks. Masks leaks can only be solved with the right mask of course. But, for me, the only way I controlled mouth leaks was by using the “correct size” cervical collar. Mouth leaks come from the jaw dropping. I use a 3 1/2 inch collar which keeps my jaw closed. Lip leaks come from pressure forcing air past your lips. I refuse to tape to control lip leaks. Over time and upgrading to the Resmed AS11 (soft mode) my leaks went down. Now zeros are not uncommon. 

Bottom line. Keep trying different equipment to include pillows. Get comfortable and have patience.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
excellent advice!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 650 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 467 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.