Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My CPAP Woes
My CPAP Woes
So I've had my ResMed AirSense10 (with the nasal pillows) since July 2017 and at first it worked well, I was getting weeks of 7hrs+ per night sleep etc.

Lately I've been fighting with the damn thing. I'll try and best explain the experience I have and hopefully it might shed some light on the whole thing.

My APAP range is 5-10 with it averaging about 9.5 per night.

Some nights it's fine. Fall asleep and sleep soundly for 6-7 hrs no problems. But more than often I find that I'm having to consciously breath in and out which takes away from me trying to fall asleep. I get fed up after 10-15mins of fighting it and take it off then I fall asleep within 3 minutes. But, I am assuming my Apenas happen.

When I get up in the middle the night on a "good" night. When I turn off the machine, i can feel the pressure difference in the nasal pillows. On a "bad" night there is no nasal pressure difference.

I don't know why some days I don't fight it when falling asleep and other nights it's a struggle. None of the settings have changed. I've played with changing the inital pressure from 5 to a 6 and even down to 4 just to see if it's the initial pressure, but none of that has made a difference.

Last time I mentioned it to my RT, she just told me to try and push through it until I fall asleep. Well, why struggle to fall asleep for 30-40mins when I can fall asleep almost instantly if I take it off?

I know this can work as it worked fine when I first got it and I still get the occasional night wher i have no issues. It's just that the bad nights happen more than the good nights :\
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My CPAP Woes
Hi onyxdragun - Welcome

I see you have your CPAP set to a starting pressure of 5cm.   If I understand you post correctly, you are experiencing air starvation.  Most users feel starved for air at that pressure.  You might consider upping it to about 7 to 8 cm and hopefully this will eliminate your problem.

A few more posts and you will be able to post a SleepyHead chart.  In the meantime, please review the links in my signature for formatting SleepyHead to achieve the best display of your data.

I hope you find some relief.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for replying! I'll tinker with the settings tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the links to format the data. Sleephead seems.. busy! lol Love that I can pull the data off the card though.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no longer a minimum post requirement for attaching images with your Sleepyhead data. There is a lot to consider including EPR to help with comfort and results. If you post a chart it won’t take long to get some good suggestions to improve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All good advice.

Along with raising the minimum pressure a bit, you may want to try using one size larger nasal pillow, as many of us have found this to help with that air starved feeling. The pillow should not be inserted too far into the nostril, but just sit under and inserted slightly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Recently Diagnosed - Mask Woes DiscipleGeek 3 428 07-26-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New APAP Purchase Woes jgunders 3 723 09-14-2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: withtao
  ResMed AirSense10 Woes onyxdragun 1 1,099 02-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Blocked Hose / Dreamwear FFM woes wishicansleep 3 1,309 09-03-2018, 05:43 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  central apnea woes fiur 6 1,670 02-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Money Respironics 460 Humidifer Woes oldandtired 9 2,086 08-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Insurance woes: Who has my "compliance" and "post pap" documentation? luminous 8 3,178 08-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.