Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Chinstrap Odyssey - Part 2
My Chinstrap Odyssey - Part 2
Well it was a gallant effort. I successfully did without my chinstrap for what now, 3 days? Sort of?

Yeah the leak numbers came up, but until last night everything seemed to still be within the range of "I can fix this." But at 3:00 this morning I did get up, take a short break, and put on my chinstrap.

What was happening is that during the early part of the night I would awaken knowing my mouth was coming open, and I was breathing through it. I had lost my air block. So back to the chinstrap. In looking at the results this morning, the earlier results were really not all that terrible, certainly not as bad as I thought they would be, but the results following, when I had my chinstrap on, were remarkably better.

So there's that.

I'll no doubt give it another try in a few months, but in the meantime here's what I have concluded.

1. I value my therapy so much that I will do what ever I need to do to maximize it's effectiveness and the quality of my sleep time. So I will wear the chinstrap.

2. I like my cute little machine and mask a lot. I do not like my chinstrap all that much. That will not change, but I will learn to respect it for the job it does helping me to maximize my therapy.

3. For me, "less is more." The more minimalistic my therapy can be the happier I am going to be. For that reason I do not and will not use the chinstraps that try to suck up my whole head. They do not get to do that. I will use the more simple, one strap method, and make it work. Actually, Trish's chinstrap she fashioned from an old P10 head gear looks perfect to me. I will probably ask Mrs. R_G to do that to one of my old straps.

4. For the same reason that I will not allow a chinstrap to suck up my brains, I will not migrate to any other mask under the theory that if I would just insert enough of my body into it I would not care if my mouth stayed closed or not. I love my cute little P10 mask. It does a great job for me. Yes, I know others think there is nothing better than the diving bell they wear for a mask and that's fine. Everyone is different. Except me of course. I'm not different I'm the same.

In sum: Thank you chinstrap for helping me to achieve my goals. I promise to not let the puppies play with you anymore.

...at least I did get a new SDCard out of the deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Chinstrap Odyssey - Part 2
(04-27-2015, 04:10 PM)retired_guy Wrote: ...at least I did get a new SDCard out of the deal.

I hope you got yourself a cute little flash-air card...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope. I had one of those but I gave it away. I need the exercise I get walking from bedside to the computer and back. Well, now it's "and back." Now that the puppies have developed an affinity for eating my SDCard if it's sitting on my desk.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi retired_guy,
I hope the P10 headgear minimalist chinstrap works for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey retired_guy,
I was reading a post about a neck pillow. I think the thread was called: chin strap vs. neck pillow.
Have you or anyone else here tried this instead of a chin strap? I find it interesting because I sometimes find myself holding my fist under my chin to hold it up. I start out sleeping like that, but of course I move a lot. A neck pillow would do the same thing. Maby you can get Mrs. R G to make you a Donut Neck Pillow.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a good plan!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,904 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 404 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 881 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 399 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  Need help with part identity F&P Icon Novo Vsidles 2 363 05-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Vsidles
  AirCurve 10 - Where does leftover part go? markc1117 4 708 11-19-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: markc1117

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.