Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: My Christmas Present
Yep, they will, but who knows what - different countries, different products and protocols. I asked my cousin, who is a gas passer (and now head of his department in a new hospital and heading ever upward - chief of medicine, perhaps? He's a smart fella) and who did a season at Johns Hopkins, what he thought they might us stateside for this op, but he said it really was up to the gas passer and to the hospital's rules. In the Us, apparently, these vary from hospital to hospital far more than here. However, there are standard types for each type of op, and those don't vary so much, just the individual product does.

A good gas passer is vital to successful surgery, even more so when he knows by near instinct how to read the surgeon's rhythms, but I have always felt that there is no such thing as an unimportant person there, which is why I was always very picky about my scrub nurses and the prep staff. Everyone is a vital link in the chain for a good outcome. Sometimes that can make me come off like a martinet when giving out staff assignments, but it does make a diff, and I have seen how a good team makes really "beautiful music" in the OR and a bad mix can make things go south rapidly.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 01:23 PM by DocWils.)
12-17-2014 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I meant no disrespect for the others involved. Just that the gas passer has the patient's life in his hands.
I had a spinal block for my 1999 inguinal hernia surgery. That did not work so well. So, they dialed up whatever was in the line in my arm; and put me under.

I think GI doctor chose Propofol for my colonoscopy in 2010 because I have an anxiety disorder. Not knowing me well, they might have thought I would panic and try to get off the table. (I wouldn't.) When a friend had his colonoscopy, he was awake -- but asking so many questions they dialed up (probably a benzodiazpine like Midazolam) to shut him up!

I know a very good lap surgeon who does bariatic surgery. He often has to remove the gall bladder in bariatric patients. I think he's the fellow for the job. He's done 1000's of procedures -- so, I figure he knows the cystic duct from the common bile duct.

I'll see if they want me to bring my CPAP machine to the hospital. I think this will be more like an outpatient procedure, so, likely I'll go home quickly. I know the hospital has RTs and big PAP machines that are on rolling carts.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-17-2014 03:10 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Check - each hospital has their own policy and there are state policies on hospital stays after certain surgeries, even the though the trend is get 'em in and turf 'em out. also, check if your hospital charges for use of their CPAP stock - if so, bring your own, just give it a thorough cleaning after - no telling what sort of bugs it may pick up while in there....
12-17-2014 06:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poll: 2015 White Christmas? PollCat 30 1,844 01-10-2016 03:58 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Christmas Cut-outs surferdude2 3 528 12-05-2015 09:32 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  Math and Christmas justMongo 15 2,160 01-03-2015 11:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year zonk 5 2,766 12-24-2014 08:13 AM