Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Comparison of DreamStation Auto vs ResMed AirSense10 Autoset
My Comparison of DreamStation Auto vs ResMed AirSense10 Autoset

1. ResMed has a well constructed, compartmentalized case suitable for travel. DreamSense has a flimsy case and sells a travel case separately.
  2. ResMed's humidifier tank comes apart for easy cleaning. When assembled and full of water it's easy to carry and insert into the AirSense 10 without spilling. The DreamStation's tank design makes it impossible to get all the water out, no matter what position it's in. Unlike the ResMed the DreamStation tank is top rack dishwasher safe, but when I removed mine it contained cloudy liquid that had gotten trapped. I felt I had to re-sanitize it. ResMed has an optional dishwasher safe version of their tank which also comes apart and truly would feel clean after dishwashing.
  3. I have found it easier to remove the mask tubing from the ResMed tubing than the DreamStation tubing. Your results may vary.
  4. ResMed's LCD screen shows everything clearly in a smaller size than the DreamStation. The DreamStation's back-light is brighter than ResMed's which can disturb a partner sleeping in the same room, however this may be an advantage to someone who is visually impaired.
  5. ResMed's tubing connects to the back of the device with an elbow swivel coupler allowing the tubing to run parallel or perpendicular to the device, and any angle in between. DreamStation's tubing attaches at the top of the humidifier cover (when a humidifier is used), and while it will swivel, it will always exit the machine at a 45 degree angle. In the absence of the humidifier the tubing attaches at the back of the machine sticking straight out parallel to the table.
  6. The DreamStation has a separate humidifier unit, whereas the AirSense 10 has it built-in. You need an adapter to use it without the humidifier, and if the humidifier malfunctions you need a whole new CPAP. You also need an adapter if you want to use A So Clean 2.
  7. Both units are extremely quiet. If one is better than the other, I was unable to tell the difference.
  8. The ResMed unit was less confusing for me to operate. The DreamStation has a couple more professional settings.
  9. ResMed's mask type matches mask descriptions (nasal pillow, nasal mask, full face mask, etc.) DreamStation uses 1, 2, 3, & 4 which is not compatible with all masks. (I'm not sure if it's only good for their brand.)
  10. DreamStation has a ramp button on top of the unit next to the start/stop button. ResMed doesn't have this button. When starting the DreamStation it is easy to hit the ramp button by mistake which will turn the feature on if enabled in the professional settings. ResMed activates this feature in the user settings so you can't accidentally turn it on or off.
  11. The dial for navigating and changing options on the ResMed AutoSet 10 is lit IMHO with a very dim light making it easy to find in the dark, but dim enough so as not to disturb sleep. DreamStation's doesn't light up.
  12. My RT claims that the DreamStation provides more data than the AutoSet 10. The data that's available is to some extent a function of the software used to view it. I don't know what software my RT is using, although she did indicate that it's custom. I'm using a non-commercial software, SH, and get more information than I know what to do with, keeping in mind that I'm not professionally trained. I did show the software to my sleep doctor who said the SH software gave reports comparable to the commercial software in their office. This information isn't intended to be a review of SH, it's for the purpose of evaluating whether or not the DreamStation actually does provide more information. As of this writing the developers of SH were working on a version that will work with the DreamStation. Since it isn't available yet I'm unable to make a comparison of my own, and there may be information that the DreamStation makes available, but SH doesn't take advantage of; so again, to some extent it's a function of the software and how much you, your RT, and your doctor think is enough.
  13. The DreamStation has the ability to record data using an SD card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. It also has software available for smartphones running Apple or Android OS. Because the Bluetooth module is removable it MAY be an additional cost. The AutoSet 10 isn't able to communicate by WiFi, but it comes with the SD card and Bluetooth is built-in. To the best of my knowledge there is no software available for a smartphone.
  14. Last, and probably least important, is the design of the unit itself. The DreamStation is larger than the AutoSet 10, and the display and knob are on the short end; whereas on the AutoSet 10 the display and knob are on the long end. Depending on your layout this can be a factor. The DreamStation is a hospital white which leave me with a very medical feeling about it. The ResMed comes in all black with a brown tubing which IMHO blends in with surroundings better. Also of note is that ResMed has a version just For Her which has algorithms designed specifically to the way a woman breathes. It also has a fancier, more feminine cabinet. I must add that my RT and doctor are of the opinion that there is no difference in the comfort or therapy that it provides to a woman vs their black AutoSet 10. I have used both and can honestly say that I didn't notice a difference.

In summation, there are those who think the DreamStation is a better machine. In my opinion I would rather have the ResMed AutoSet 10. No machine is any good if you don't use it, and to me the DreamStation is less convenient on my bedside table, more difficult to clean, and I don't like the (lack of) style. I also would need to purchase a travel case as their's leaves a lot to be desired.

I also want to point out that I'm a patient, and it's only because my insurance company insists that I rent the machine for a period of time that I have been able to try three different ones. Renting is a good option if it's available to you. Then you can decide for yourself what machine will produce the best results for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Comparison of DreamStation Auto vs ResMed AirSense10 Autoset
(03-04-2016, 05:51 PM)Tinkerbell Wrote: [*]The DreamStation has the ability to record data using an SD card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. It also has software available for smartphones running Apple or Android OS. Because the Bluetooth module is removable it MAY be an additional cost. The AutoSet 10 isn't able to communicate by WiFi, but it comes with the SD card and Bluetooth is built-in. To the best of my knowledge there is no software available for a smartphone.

That's a nice side by side comparison. My only comment is respecting the wifi capability of the A10. Many of us use a wifi sd card in place of the Resmed supplied sd card which allows us to transfer data over wifi to our computers for viewing in ResScan or sleepyhead. If that interests you refer to the discussions on same in the software support forum.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 06:10 PM)sonicboom Wrote:
Quote:[*]The DreamStation has the ability to record data using an SD card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. It also has software available for smartphones running Apple or Android OS. Because the Bluetooth module is removable it MAY be an additional cost. The AutoSet 10 isn't able to communicate by WiFi, but it comes with the SD card and Bluetooth is built-in. To the best of my knowledge there is no software available for a smartphone.
That's a nice side by side comparison. My only comment is respecting the wifi capability of the A10. Many of us use a wifi sd card in place of the Resmed supplied sd card which allows us to transfer data over wifi to our computers for viewing in ResScan or sleepyhead. If that interests you refer to the discussions on same in the software support forum.

You make a good point Sonicboom. I should have also mentioned that an SD card with WiFi built-in is available for about $15, so the lack of WiFi built-in to the ResMed really isn't an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AutoSet 10 isn't able to communicate by WiFi, but it comes with the SD card and Bluetooth is built-in. To the best of my knowledge there is no software available for a smartphone.

I believe the above statement as I have bolded is incorrect. The A10 has a cellular modem.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You're right. Good catch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tinkerbell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you got to try a few different machines to really see which one you are going to like.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Great comparison of these two machines. Thanks, I have been trying to work out which of these two machines I was going to purchase. I can't wait to order my Resmed Airsense 10 now Thanks

(03-04-2016, 05:51 PM)Tinkerbell Wrote:
  1. ResMed has a well constructed, compartmentalized case suitable for travel. DreamSense has a flimsy case and sells a travel case separately.
  2. ResMed's humidifier tank comes apart for easy cleaning. When assembled and full of water it's easy to carry and insert into the AirSense 10 without spilling. The DreamStation's tank design makes it impossible to get all the water out, no matter what position it's in. Unlike the ResMed the DreamStation tank is top rack dishwasher safe, but when I removed mine it contained cloudy liquid that had gotten trapped. I felt I had to re-sanitize it. ResMed has an optional dishwasher safe version of their tank which also comes apart and truly would feel clean after dishwashing.
  3. I have found it easier to remove the mask tubing from the ResMed tubing than the DreamStation tubing. Your results may vary.
  4. ResMed's LCD screen shows everything clearly in a smaller size than the DreamStation. The DreamStation's back-light is brighter than ResMed's which can disturb a partner sleeping in the same room, however this may be an advantage to someone who is visually impaired.
  5. ResMed's tubing connects to the back of the device with an elbow swivel coupler allowing the tubing to run parallel or perpendicular to the device, and any angle in between. DreamStation's tubing attaches at the top of the humidifier cover (when a humidifier is used), and while it will swivel, it will always exit the machine at a 45 degree angle. In the absence of the humidifier the tubing attaches at the back of the machine sticking straight out parallel to the table.
  6. The DreamStation has a separate humidifier unit, whereas the AirSense 10 has it built-in. You need an adapter to use it without the humidifier, and if the humidifier malfunctions you need a whole new CPAP. You also need an adapter if you want to use A So Clean 2.
  7. Both units are extremely quiet. If one is better than the other, I was unable to tell the difference.
  8. The ResMed unit was less confusing for me to operate. The DreamStation has a couple more professional settings.
  9. ResMed's mask type matches mask descriptions (nasal pillow, nasal mask, full face mask, etc.) DreamStation uses 1, 2, 3, & 4 which is not compatible with all masks. (I'm not sure if it's only good for their brand.)
  10. DreamStation has a ramp button on top of the unit next to the start/stop button. ResMed doesn't have this button. When starting the DreamStation it is easy to hit the ramp button by mistake which will turn the feature on if enabled in the professional settings. ResMed activates this feature in the user settings so you can't accidentally turn it on or off.
  11. The dial for navigating and changing options on the ResMed AutoSet 10 is lit IMHO with a very dim light making it easy to find in the dark, but dim enough so as not to disturb sleep. DreamStation's doesn't light up.
  12. My RT claims that the DreamStation provides more data than the AutoSet 10. The data that's available is to some extent a function of the software used to view it. I don't know what software my RT is using, although she did indicate that it's custom. I'm using a non-commercial software, SH, and get more information than I know what to do with, keeping in mind that I'm not professionally trained. I did show the software to my sleep doctor who said the SH software gave reports comparable to the commercial software in their office. This information isn't intended to be a review of SH, it's for the purpose of evaluating whether or not the DreamStation actually does provide more information. As of this writing the developers of SH were working on a version that will work with the DreamStation. Since it isn't available yet I'm unable to make a comparison of my own, and there may be information that the DreamStation makes available, but SH doesn't take advantage of; so again, to some extent it's a function of the software and how much you, your RT, and your doctor think is enough.
  13. The DreamStation has the ability to record data using an SD card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. It also has software available for smartphones running Apple or Android OS. Because the Bluetooth module is removable it MAY be an additional cost. The AutoSet 10 isn't able to communicate by WiFi, but it comes with the SD card and Bluetooth is built-in. To the best of my knowledge there is no software available for a smartphone.
  14. Last, and probably least important, is the design of the unit itself. The DreamStation is larger than the AutoSet 10, and the display and knob are on the short end; whereas on the AutoSet 10 the display and knob are on the long end. Depending on your layout this can be a factor. The DreamStation is a hospital white which leave me with a very medical feeling about it. The ResMed comes in all black with a brown tubing which IMHO blends in with surroundings better. Also of note is that ResMed has a version just For Her which has algorithms designed specifically to the way a woman breathes. It also has a fancier, more feminine cabinet. I must add that my RT and doctor are of the opinion that there is no difference in the comfort or therapy that it provides to a woman vs their black AutoSet 10. I have used both and can honestly say that I didn't notice a difference.

In summation, there are those who think the DreamStation is a better machine. In my opinion I would rather have the ResMed AutoSet 10. No machine is any good if you don't use it, and to me the DreamStation is less convenient on my bedside table, more difficult to clean, and I don't like the (lack of) style. I also would need to purchase a travel case as their's leaves a lot to be desired.

I also want to point out that I'm a patient, and it's only because my insurance company insists that I rent the machine for a period of time that I have been able to try three different ones. Renting is a good option if it's available to you. Then you can decide for yourself what machine will produce the best results for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 05:51 PM)Tinkerbell Wrote: [*]My RT claims that the DreamStation provides more data than the AutoSet 10. The data that's available is to some extent a function of the software used to view it. I don't know what software my RT is using, although she did indicate that it's custom. I'm using a non-commercial software, SH, and get more information than I know what to do with, keeping in mind that I'm not professionally trained. I did show the software to my sleep doctor who said the SH software gave reports comparable to the commercial software in their office. This information isn't intended to be a review of SH, it's for the purpose of evaluating whether or not the DreamStation actually does provide more information. As of this writing the developers of SH were working on a version that will work with the DreamStation. Since it isn't available yet I'm unable to make a comparison of my own, and there may be information that the DreamStation makes available, but SH doesn't take advantage of; so again, to some extent it's a function of the software and how much you, your RT, and your doctor think is enough.

I've been working for the last couple weeks gathering dreamstation data for sleepyhead development, and I can't see any justification whatsoever to support your RT's claim. the official software (encore pro) provides way less info than the official resmed software (resscan) and comparing the two machines output in sleepyhead, I'd say it's slightly less. (I'd say that resmed provides better snore and flow limitation reporting.

The sleepyhead version in development currently provides *more* reporting information than the official respironics software displays. (quite a bit more).

it would be interesting to find out what your RT bases that theory on.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the most part, both machines do the same thing so personal preference may be the major factor. That said, having used the Resmed S9 for three years and moving to a Dreamstation, There are a few objective considerations before jumping into an S10.

1. The tank. On the Dreamstation I can easily remove, fill and replace the tank in the dark. It's impossible to overfill. I use tap water however, manufacturers recommend distilled water. Cleaning is no big deal. If I was putting water in the machine that was so bad that it causes cleaning issues in the tank, I certainly would not want to inhale that water. Fill and rinse is a daily chore, so the water doesn't sit for a long time. Finally, the tank and seals are scheduled replacement items from insurance.

2, As far as the mask and tubing being easier, They are interchangeable. I have a Resmed Airfit F10 mask on my Resperonics Dreamstation. Previously I used a Resmed Quatro FX for three years. If the Dreamstation is used without hydration, it's the same hose as I used on the Resperonics. I don't see how one could be easier than the other. The Airfit F10 does have a click disconnect which is very easy.

3, As far as one LCD better than the other, On the Dreamstation the LCD is only used for setup. Everything else is done on your iPad or computer and updates effortlessly with bluetooth. The software gives comprehensive data and aftermarket software will be better.

4, Using the Dreamstation does not require an adapter. The same hose used on the Rsmed S9 connects directly to the Dreamstation. The Dreamstation does have a heated hose to be used with the humidifier. Maybe it's the S10 that needs an adapter?

5, Confusing software, I found both straight forward.

6, The ramp button. I use autostart on the Dreamstation with no ramp. Pop the mask on and off we go. No buttons required. Nice feature.

7, Communicating and recording. I think both have similar options. Dream station has snap in modules for wifi or cellular. Bluetooth is built in.

8, Aesthetics, Also subjective opinion but one looks like a clock radio and the other links like a clean piece of medical equipment.

9, Traveling, As a professional pilot both the S9 and the Dreamstation travel very well. I brought them with out the humidifier (for smaller size) and fit the unit perfectly in a small camera bag. With the mask and hose in a separate ziplock, I put this in a separate carry on. If challenged over the second carry on I was happy to inform that the Americans With Disabilities Act ensures that I could keep medical equipment with me.

10, Cleaning. The Dreamstation and the Resmed S9 are about the same. Both are easy and never a problem.

(03-04-2016, 05:51 PM)Tinkerbell Wrote:

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2016, 10:33 AM)Zeeez Wrote: For the most part, both machines do the same thing so personal preference may be the major factor. That said, having used the Resmed S9 for three years and moving to a Dreamstation, There are a few objective considerations before jumping into an S10.
Oh-jeez Zees, you have posted to the wrong thread. There is another thread comparing the DreamStation to the ResMed S9! This review is for the newer AirSense 10, Smile which is a totally new design, and change in how it functions. The S9 is very similar to the DreamStation, and to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as an S10!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 5 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 74 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 169 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 487 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.