Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My DME inferred Apnea Board Forum as basement scammers and OSCAR as corrupt
My DME inferred Apnea Board Forum as basement scammers and OSCAR as corrupt
I went to my new DME to pick up a new Resmed Aircurve. When I got there, it was a Resmed Airsense not the Aircurve. She said that I can't get an Aircurve because my numbers don't warrant it. We discussed it and I told her that when I last used a Airsense I had some very strange and disturbing data(flow limits, respiratory rate and tidal volume) and I was very concerned about using it(see links below). I brought up my data as seen in OSCAR and I discussed the Apnea Board Forum. She plainly said that the data must be corrupted (you can't trust OSCAR) and be careful of the sites you go to because they can be basement scammers and aren't educated like she is. I told her that I am very confident of the program and the Forum, also the OSCAR data agrees with the Resscan data. She was perturb that I had resscan software.

I asked her if she was aware of the OSCAR and the Forum and said replied "no". I suggested that maybe should should look into it. I have complete confidence in them and they have helped thousands of people world wide.

Then I was shocked  that the Airsense has no provision for a data card and all I'm able to see is my compliance. Again I discussed Oscar and the Forum and because of the data people are able to fine tune their treatment. She repeated that the new Airsense is not data card compatible.

I ended up not accepting the machine. My main question for the Forum is, are the new Resmed machines not data card compatible or am I being lied to? I never looked at the machine to check. If true, it is is a total shame. There is no way I could get the results that I have without access to MY DATA! 

My data with Airsense.
[Image: CJnFm9H.png]
My data with Aircurve
[Image: 7iusHXr.png]

I am looking forward to any comments.
car54
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My DME inferred Apnea Board Forum as basement scammers and OSCAR as corrupt
There are some cheap, low-end, Resmed Airsense devices (CPAP and Elite models, I believe) that are not data aware.

So my questions are, a) why did you go in with the expectation of a bilevel (do you have a prescription for one?), and b) why does it appear not only that the DME tried to push a CPAP machine, but that it was apparently a cheap model?

Sounds like maybe this DME was trying to take advantage of you?

If you have a prescription for a bilevel, I would accept nothing other than an Aircurve VAuto.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slowriter,
  Supposedly it was an Airsense 10 auto which I believe is data card compatible but I have heard that newer models may not be. I thought Resmed stop selling the brick models(not data card compatible). Maybe that is what the DME was doing.

As to why I was expecting an Aircurve, below is a link that will explain it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...curve-auto
Post Reply Post Reply
AirSense 10 37015, 37203, 37201 don't provide full data, as far as I'm aware, all other AirSense 10 models record full data.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid213347

"Because my numbers don't warrant it" = What does that mean? She pulled up your AHI and saw it was under five or something?  Too-funny
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've cancelled my relationship with a DME for less ;-)

Like I said, you need to put your foot down: you're approved for a VAuto, so they need to get you one.

If they give you a hard time, maybe consider another DME?
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
All Resmed Autoset 10’s we have seen to date are SD card compatible. For the last year or so DME’s have been supplying them without SD cards as the provider version of myair called airview gives all the information a DME needs to prove compliancy so they get paid by the insurance company. And they make a couple of extra dollars not supplying a SD card.

A DME must provide what is on your prescription. Do you have it in hand or was it sent electronically by your DR ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Joey, 

You are correct about being under 5.

My doctor is aware of me looking at the data and I have even shown him printouts from Oscar. He prescribed an Aircurve and twice this DME said I can't get it because of my results but I was under the assumption that it was corrected.

I was willing to try the Airsense thinking that if I got the same results as before I could go to the doctor and argue my case. Part of the problem may be because of medicare. Then when I found out about the data I refused to accept it.

I will be making some calls to my doctor and other DME,s tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
jaswilliams,

The prescription was sent electronically and when I called the DME to schedule an appointment they told me it was for an Aircurve. When I got there they said because of my results Medicare won't let me have the Aircurve, all I can get is an Airsense.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found my DME through the Medicare website provider list, checking reviews, and calling them.

There might be some truth to needing more than a prescription for some machines.

For an ASV through Medicare, I was told I needed to not only supply the prescription and sleep study, but also a letter (doctor’s notes) with justification for my ASV machine as a medical necessity.

However, the main difference between your DME and mine is that my DME actually was working to get me the ASV.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2020, 04:28 PM)car54 Wrote: jaswilliams,

The prescription was sent electronically and when I called the DME to schedule an appointment they told me it was for an Aircurve. When I got there they said because of my results Medicare won't let me have the Aircurve, all I can get is an Airsense.

Get your dr to prescribe the Aircurve VAuto by name and write dispense as prescribed then the DME has to follow the dr’s prescription if it’s a medical necessity.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,315 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 480 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can respiratory effort be inferred from OSCAR data? alienfrontier 1 229 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.