Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
Hi. I just got a replacement mask from my DME. They told me that the next time I get an item from them (three months from now), I can either pick up the item from them or there will be a $10 shipping fee added. The shipping fee isn't reimbursable by insurance, of course.

The DME said that they will be charging all their customers this fee. I did a search for "shipping" on this forum and didn't find any posts. Have any of you had this happen with a DME?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
What DME do you use. I use Lincare and they have said nothing about such a fee.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
If your DME is being paid by US Medicare, the charge is unallowed.

" Delivery and service are an integral part of DME suppliers' costs of doing business. Such costs are ordinarily assumed to have been taken into account by suppliers (along with all other overhead expenses) in setting the prices they charge for covered items and services. As such, these costs have already been accounted for in the calculation of the fee schedules.

Therefore, separate delivery and service charges for DMEPOS items will not be allowed except in rare and unusual circumstances when the delivery is outside the normal range of a supplier's sphere of operation.

For example, a reasonable delivery charge might be allowed if a supplier had to deliver a DMEPOS item to a beneficiary who lived outside the supplier's usual customer area and who had no access to a supplier located nearer. The supplier should fully document these "unusual circumstances" on claims for delivery charges."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo, just wondering, where did that quote come from - is there an official government or Medicare link somewhere?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guid...y23_r2.pdf

Section 60 (pp 29-30)
B3-5105
Delivery and service are an integral part of oxygen and durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers' costs of doing business. Such costs are ordinarily assumed to have been taken into account by suppliers (along with all other overhead expenses) in setting the prices they charge for covered items and services. As such, these costs have already been accounted for in the calculation of the fee schedules. Also, most beneficiaries reside in the normal area of business activity of one or more DME supplier(s) and have reasonable access to them.

Therefore Therefore, DME carriers may not allow separate delivery and service charges for oxygen or DME except as specifically indicated in §§90 or in rare and unusual circumstances when the delivery is not typical of the particular supplier' s operation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
My DME has never charged me shipping, and don't mean to get off topic, but now they are refusing to order my P10 mask, or any ResMed products.  Then they proceeded to try to sell pawn off other masks they had in stock.  
I guess they can sell or not sell whatever brand they wish.  Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found it at Noridian's website. They act as a subcontractor for CMS processing in the western states.

Looks like Sleeprider went right to the horse's mouth. (Mongo like horses.)
@Sleeprider: You have a dash that breaks the link.

@OpalRose: They did the same when they went to competitive bids for diabetic test strips. Some brands of strips became unavailable my mail order because they could rake in greater profits by selling junk strips.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My current DME does not charge for delivery and the same is true for my previous ones. Actually, they do not seem to make any effort reduce shipping costs by using the most economical method or by combining shipments. But as OpalRose coimmented, they do seem to try to provide the cheapest supplies and equipment possible so their profit will be maximized, at the customer's expense. In the end everybody is getting ripped off because of the ridiculously high prices paid by Medicare and insurance companies for equipment and supplies. Almost any of this stuff can be bought by the individual for 50% of what a DME gets.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME billed $333 for my F20 mask but they were only paid $80 ($64 insurance and $16 copay) That doesn't seem ridiculously high as compared to the online price of $149. I agree that what they bill is ridiculous.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder it the DMEs can claim some kind of loss on taxes for the difference between wht they bill and what they are paid?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 633 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 476 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 403 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [CPAP] Starting Bleep (Dreamports) and need help! Kathy14225 11 1,767 10-30-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: GaspForAir

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.