Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Dads Oximetry Report
My Dads Oximetry Report
My dad as part of a workup for COPD did an overnight O2. He is 82 years old, he snores and has never used XPAP or had a sleep study. He has a consult on July 12th, what questions should I ask? Do you think they will want a full sleep study? He has very good health insurance.

http://imgur.com/a/VQlzA

http://imgur.com/a/UNv10

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Dads Oximetry Report
report shows a sleep study is warranted.

question i'd ask is:

At 82, does your dad want to treat sleep apnea? If not, why go for the testing. If so, off to sleep lab.

If I make it to 82, I'm telling everyone to leave me alone...
Post Reply Post Reply
I will discuss this with him prior the appointment but my guess is he will want to try it if it will improve his quality of life.

Thank you,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Begin treatment of sleep apnea at 82? Why not unless there are other factors that make it inadvisable? Next month I will be 84 and wouldn't consider not treating my sleep apnea. There are some ailments that I may not want to start treating at that age but I don't think sleep apnea would be one of them. If he starts treatment and, for some reason, does not tolerate it well then he could consider dropping it. Quality of life is an important consideration at any age.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2017, 03:38 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Begin treatment of sleep apnea at 82? Why not unless there are other factors that make it inadvisable? Next month I will be 84 and wouldn't consider not treating my sleep apnea. There are some ailments that I may not want to start treating at that age but I don't think sleep apnea would be one of them. If he starts treatment and, for some reason, does not tolerate it well then he could consider dropping it. Quality of life is an important consideration at any age.

Stan

Thank you for your input you old fart. Smile I think my dad may feel the same way. How long have you been using CPAP?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2017, 03:54 PM)DavePaulson Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 03:38 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Begin treatment of sleep apnea at 82? Why not unless there are other factors that make it inadvisable? Next month I will be 84 and wouldn't consider not treating my sleep apnea. There are some ailments that I may not want to start treating at that age but I don't think sleep apnea would be one of them. If he starts treatment and, for some reason, does not tolerate it well then he could consider dropping it. Quality of life is an important consideration at any age.

Stan

Thank you for your input you old fart. Smile I think my dad may feel the same way. How long have you been using CPAP?

Dave

Hi Dave, no need to mark out, it goes with the territory and I love being an old fart, I started CPAP in early 2001 when I was 67. I wish you and your dad the best in this journey. I will try to follow this if you keep us posted.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Stan, I've been using CPAP for so long that I don't remember all of the difficulties people have with it starting out. Reading this forum is a good reminder. I'm really glad you responded being of similar age as my dad. I will keep you updated. I hope to be included on the consult by phone on July 12th, as it is a 5 hour drive for me.

Thank you again,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: A sleep study has been recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
at the moment I have my 95 year old dad on 10cm cpap for CHF lung edema. he would use it at a ratio of a week a month. If he needs cpap and is willing to go through the adjustment..why not?

I would do the sleep study. Depending on the cause, he may get away with just an o2 supplement, which is an easier, livable treatment.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2017, 04:49 PM)DavePaulson Wrote: Thank you, Stan, I've been using CPAP for so long that I don't remember all of the difficulties people have with it starting out. Reading this forum is a good reminder. I'm really glad you responded being of similar age as my dad. I will keep you updated. I hope to be included on the consult by phone on July 12th, as it is a 5 hour drive for me.

Thank you again,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

I was just wondering how your dad is doing. Did he have the sleep test? Any treatment under way yet?

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 732 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 437 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.