Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: My Dell Insperon 1525 laptop died
I have not used Mint yet. I've been an Ubuntu user for years. I agree with your statement about it's desktop. It's just awful. I may partition the drive and install Mint to see how it does in streaming. Ubuntu doesn't have any issues with Netflix or Amazon prime. Though you do have to use different browsers for each and Netflix required a little tweaking. That info is readily available on the web.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-19-2015 06:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

If you go with a Windows laptop I would steer away from the Lenovos. I have a Lenovo Ideapad and that is not the greatest in the world, but it gets the job done. Wifi isn't the greatest. Our church uses a pair of HP laptop for our two sound teams and they run great. The one I use runs circles around my Lenovo and they are both i5 machines.

I have had good luck with Toshibas and lost my last one when it was knocked off a counter and hit a concrete floor.

If I had the bucks I would personally get a MacBook, but seeing as I had to buy two auto batteries yesterday, that is not an option. One battery was 5 years old and the other almost 4 - unheard of here in the deserts of AZ.

Homer
08-19-2015 06:32 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(08-19-2015 06:32 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  If you go with a Windows laptop I would steer away from the Lenovos. I have a Lenovo Ideapad and that is not the greatest in the world, but it gets the job done. Wifi isn't the greatest. Our church uses a pair of HP laptop for our two sound teams and they run great. The one I use runs circles around my Lenovo and they are both i5 machines.

I have had good luck with Toshibas and lost my last one when it was knocked off a counter and hit a concrete floor.

If I had the bucks I would personally get a MacBook, but seeing as I had to buy two auto batteries yesterday, that is not an option. One battery was 5 years old and the other almost 4 - unheard of here in the deserts of AZ.

Homer

Homer:

Moving to MAC here at home would be a first for me. I've used MAC at work. The MacBook is a bit pricey; but tempting. I see some Toshiba machines available with W7. Reviews are mixed. I've never liked Toshiba since they sold machinery to the old Soviet Union to manufacture "silent" submarine props -- or at least would have made them unrecognizable to our sonar operators.

Now, to Threadjack my own thread: [Image: threadjacked.gif]

Car batteries. Over the decades I have favored different brands. I was most recently a fan of Interstate batteries; but they have let me down. Last one died last spring; and I just called AAA and they came to me and installed a battery for $80... that's a real deal.

How much did your two batteries cost in AZ?

Mongo

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-20-2015 01:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Mongo,

Must have a small battery. My 06 Vue cost about $150 and the 08 cost $200 installed with electrical system checks. For some reason the 08 takes a much larger battery. These are 6 year batteries with a 3 year free replacement and are designed for AZ. I priced them a while back at my local repair shop and it was about 20 less for each. 20 for no aggravation is a small price to pay.

Oh, and on top of it, the electric system check on the 08 showed my alternator was going. So took it to my regular mechanic and he said - yep, it is going. Showed me the battery status and its already in the replace battery part (charge wise) and I only drove it 2 miles since the new battery was put in. While we were at it, we replaced the serpentine belt as it was starting to show some wear and it was a situation of it was just the cost of the part as they had to pull the belt to change the alternator.

Homer
08-21-2015 12:44 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(08-21-2015 12:44 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  Mongo,

Must have a small battery. My 06 Vue cost about $150 and the 08 cost $200 installed with electrical system checks. For some reason the 08 takes a much larger battery. These are 6 year batteries with a 3 year free replacement and are designed for AZ. I priced them a while back at my local repair shop and it was about 20 less for each. 20 for no aggravation is a small price to pay.

Oh, and on top of it, the electric system check on the 08 showed my alternator was going. So took it to my regular mechanic and he said - yep, it is going. Showed me the battery status and its already in the replace battery part (charge wise) and I only drove it 2 miles since the new battery was put in. While we were at it, we replaced the serpentine belt as it was starting to show some wear and it was a situation of it was just the cost of the part as they had to pull the belt to change the alternator.

Homer

My Merc Grand Marquis uses a group size 65 battery. I have paid $200+ for Interstate batteries. I've had the car 7 years and it's on its 3rd battery. I think the alternator is a 135 Amp unit.

I was astounded when AAA charged me only $80 for a battery; and it had a higher CCA rating.

Batteries and charging systems have grown as technology has been incorporated into cars.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-21-2015 01:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

(08-21-2015 01:28 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(08-21-2015 12:44 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  Mongo,

Homer

My Merc Grand Marquis uses a group size 65 battery. I have paid $200+ for Interstate batteries. I've had the car 7 years and it's on its 3rd battery. I think the alternator is a 135 Amp unit.

I was astounded when AAA charged me only $80 for a battery; and it had a higher CCA rating.

Batteries and charging systems have grown as technology has been incorporated into cars.

I remember checking a battery with the little tester that you would dip in the cell and see how many balls moved. A smaller version of the one used for checking antifreeze.
08-21-2015 01:56 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(08-21-2015 01:56 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  I remember checking a battery with the little tester that you would dip in the cell and see how many balls moved. A smaller version of the one used for checking antifreeze.
That's a hydrometer. It's measures specific gravity of liquids. For lead acid batteries, the specific battery is higher with a higher charge state. Hence, the hydrometer floats higher. I had one as a teen. Mine had a single float inside.

Remember when the tops of car batteries were sealed with tar? There was a cell tester that one could press the contact points through the tar and read the Voltage on each cell under load.

Remember when cars had generators? Usually 30 Amp, and needed a cutout relay, current regulator, and voltage regulator. And the field coils had to be magnetized when installed by connecting the field wire to battery.

08-21-2015 02:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My DLINK DGS-108 switch died last night justMongo 23 1,210 04-14-2016 01:08 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 1,905 04-25-2015 02:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas