Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Dreamstation tried to drown me!
My Dreamstation tried to drown me!
Has anyone had this happen? Last night my machine woke me with some really strange gurgley noises.  I thought maybe the mask was leaking, so I tried to adjust it (keep in mind I was a little out of it from pretty hard sleeping). I couldn't really stop the sound, but I had to pee anyhow, so I just pulled the tube from the mask and when I did water shot out of the tube. And I mean it soaked me and my bed and pillow. Not just a light mist. I turned it off, went and dumped the humidifier and went back to sleep. Wth??? I've had a small amount of water in the tube or mask when I wake, but never anything like this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Dreamstation tried to drown me!
G'day Harlon.

Two ideas immediately spring to mind:

1. You over-filled the humidifier and water was forced from the tank into the hose (this has happened - only once - to my S9)

2. You got a really bad case of rainout.

Rainout is controlled with the temperature and humidity settings. I use the heated hose with temp between 27 and 30 and everything else on auto and have never had a rainout problem. The humidity here varies considerably but the machine always takes care of it. Were you in an unusually humid environment, or was it abnormally warm or cool?

By the way - are you running a Dreamstation (per the topic) or an S9 (per your profile)?
Post Reply Post Reply
It was definitely not #1, as the tank was actually very low. So I guess I need to look at #2. And I am now using the Dreamstation. I need to update my profile. 

I recently raised my humidifier level from 4 to 5 (due to dealing with a little cold) and changed from Adaptive to Flex (just to try it out). Could either of those changes have caused this?
Post Reply Post Reply
Harlon, the other night I experienced something similar. As I started using the device, I was met with intense gurgling and uneven airflow. In my case, I had somehow spilled water from the humidifier into the hose. I always have the hose higher than the machine, so it didn't reach me, and was resolved by lifting the hose and draining water back to the humidifier. I was staying at the cottage, so not my usual setup. A lot of water in the hose is more likely a spill or upset than condensation, but I guess it can happen to any of us.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Harlon, I had the same experience on my Dreamstation when I experimented and switched the humidity from adaptive to fixed.  I was using the maximum humidity setting and my tube was full of water after a few hours.  I put the setting back to adaptive and haven't had a problem since.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since my 1 rainout eposide on flex, I now keep my humidifier on adaptive, and just adjust the other thing (heat?). That has made it so I don't get rainout.

It's quite an experience, and not one I'd like to repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I set it back to adaptive with no issues. I guess that's what I get for experimenting! Thanks, for the feedback, guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, and the next time you are dreaming about shaking the cat while you are snorkeling, you'll know what to check first.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,300 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  [Equipment] Humidifier &/or hose not working... I’m gonna drown! Kakesim 2 1,203 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Kakesim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.