Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Experience So Far (and thoughts on changes to therapy)
My Experience So Far (and thoughts on changes to therapy)
I've started a few threads, but in the interest of keeping things consolidated will just keep it all in one thread moving forward.

Prior threads:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-New-to-Apnea-Therapy
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-One-Week-Check-In
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Nasal-Pillows--19075

Here is where I am now. I'm committed to the P10 nasal pillows, which seem to be working okay. My AHI is staying below 3 for the most part, and I seem to have gotten the aerophagia mostly under control, though I have the occasional bad night here and there. I'm using a soft cervical collar now. So, I'm settling into therapy, but SleepyHead continues to show both OA and CA, with CA dominant. I had my first meeting with my doctor since beginning therapy earlier this week, and because of the CA issue and the fact that I'm not feeling any better whatsoever, he has referred me to an in-lab sleep study (my initial diagnosis was based on a home study). He thinks I may need to transition to an ASV because of the mixed apnea. I'm just curious on about what the knowledgeable folks here think based on my data. Below are the last 3 nights of SleepyHead data. As always, thanks to all for being so helpful.

9/19:
[Image: Xdw7cCZl.png] 

9/20:
[Image: Hockqupl.png]

9/21:
[Image: MlityPvl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Experience So Far (and thoughts on changes to therapy)
Well after a month your Doctor may be right. The problem maybe getting the insurance to pay for it. The numbers are under 5 and insurance will say that's good enough.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2017, 08:20 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Well after a month your Doctor may be right.  The problem maybe getting the insurance to pay for it. The numbers are under 5 and insurance will say that's good enough.

I assume the insurance issue is one of the reasons for the referral to an in-lab study, to confirm untreated AHI and the mixed nature of the apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are approved for ASV with an AHI under 5, you will be the first case I'm aware of. Please keep us informed. CA can be stubborn and in cases where it has a relatively low frequency, it can be as much from sleep disturbance and movement as a respiratory problem. It helps to look a bit closer at the event duration and even the flow chart detail to see if respiration tails off and back on which is more characteristic of CA, or if the transitions are more abrupt. The machines are less than perfect in their interpretation of apnea as compared to more sophisticated PSG. In your case the CA seems to correlate with some flow limits and leaks, so this might point to some lighter sleep, movement and other causes than a central respiratory failure. We can look at a closeup of the flow rate wave form if you want. For the most part your respiratory and pressure statistics look pretty good.

Your pressure is nearly optimized and varies a reasonably small amount at night, so the only thing I can think of to try is turn off EPR. It sometimes works, sometimes not. The CA events tend to go away in time although even after 10 years I have a few, generally less than 1 AHI, but if I do something like increase pressure support or have disrupted sleep that will increase events quite a bit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Esq.

FWIW: The spring 2017's PSG for me going to BiPAP had 345.0 sleep minutes with 124 CA 24 OA & 3 H. This helped trigger a new PSG for my ASV. It slipped my memory just now in what that ASV PSG recorded, but I had the numbers for an ASV. I'm not sure, but you're sounding to be below borderline IMO. But I could be wrong. Let me look what I posted in my Newbie thread and/or you can look it up as well. The PSG ought to be there. Nonetheless, wishing whatever is best for ya. BTW IF you do go ASV, my personal opinion is think on ResMed. I had the DreamStation BiPAP and whatever the older CPAP model was. They weren't comfortable for me, yeah it could be that incompatibility thing with the as-yet revealed mixed status, but I'm not so sure. IMO and YMMV and all that.

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2017, 08:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you are approved for ASV with an AHI under 5, you will be the first case I'm aware of.  Please keep us informed.  CA can be stubborn and in cases where it has a relatively low frequency, it can be as much from sleep disturbance and movement as a respiratory problem.  It helps to look a bit closer at the event duration and even the flow chart detail to see if respiration tails off and back on which is more characteristic of CA, or if the transitions are more abrupt.  The machines are less than perfect in their interpretation of apnea as compared to more sophisticated PSG.  In your case the CA seems to correlate with some flow limits and leaks, so this might point to some lighter sleep, movement and other causes than a central respiratory failure. We can look at a closeup of the flow rate wave form if you want.  For the most part your respiratory and pressure statistics look pretty good.

Your pressure is nearly optimized and varies a reasonably small amount at night, so the only thing I can think of to try is turn off EPR.  It sometimes works, sometimes not. The CA events tend to go away in time although even after 10 years I have a few, generally less than 1 AHI, but if I do something like increase pressure support or have disrupted sleep that will increase events quite a bit.

Sleeprider:  Your comment about probably not getting an ASV with an AHI less than 5 got me thinking.  AHI is based on the number of events per hour, correct?  But what about time with apnea, is that ever used as a sole (or compounding factor) for CPAP (or ASV), since you in theory, have a low number of events, but a high number of minutes per event.

For example:  I had 2 nights with an AHI of 3.76, which is very low for me, but on one night the number minutes spent in apnea was 5.5 minutes and 9.75 minutes on another night, almost double the amount of time not breathing.  I suspect one could argue for therapy based on that???
Post Reply Post Reply
Hojo, I think that it gets into oxygen desaturation and PSG determination of a central breathing problem. Medicare and insurance is only recently even recognizing complex sleep apnea. Each case that is documented adds to the knowledge and approval basis, and I think this forum contributes to that by identifying people with complex apnea issues that used to simply quit or go undiagnosed. Just look at these approval criteria for a device with backup rate (ASV) E0471, compared to bilevel E0470 or CPAP E00601. Note the criteria include that you must "fail" CPAP for 61 days before being considered for a more effective treatment. That's ridiculous. The HCPCS codes and approval criteria are easily researched online, and for most insurance coverages.

https://www.bcbsnc.com/assets/services/p...es_osa.pdf
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...F_RADs.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm not sure about the insurance issues, but my doctor seems to think an ASV may be in my future. One question - will insurance look at what treated AHI has been with the CPAP, or what untreated AHI is with the PSG?

My home study showed an AHI of 6, so mild, but oxygen desat of 81%, so boderline severe. I'm curious to see what the PSG shows on all of this. I'll also zoom in on the SleepyHead data around the time of some of the CA events and post those when I get some time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Esq, this thread b Amdx64 is a good read. He ended up with ASV, even though he optimized CPAP. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-centrals

The criteria for approval are not so much numeric (but can be), and tend to be based on diagnosis, doctor's statement of medical necessity, and inability to achieve satisfactory results with CPAP and Bilevel options. Your specific insurance probably has a published policy on approval that you can obtain on request.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI often looks the same. Right now, my AHI is well below 5, stays around 2-3. Some nights, I have more CA than OA and HI combined. Other nights, they are even. But it has always been this way for me.

Try turning off the EPR and see if that made a difference. I did a study of my sleep once where I turned off the EPR for 2 weeks then did 1 for 2 weeks, etc. I think I determined that an EPR of 1 or 2 did best for me.

I need to re-do that study again I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 211 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 66 1,043 1 hour ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 366 1 hour ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 71 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,340 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 596 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 492 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.