Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My F30i full face has finally arrived. Have you owned a F30i before?
RE: My F30i full face has finally arrived. Have you owned a F30i before?
Good point. I am not sure how these full face pillows will work with facial hair (like a full goatee) because I'm thinking that unless it can cover the goatee and the silicone seals against the skin, they are bound to leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, good to know because I like growing a beard in the winters as it keeps my face a little warmer outside:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
S Manz...mask still seems a tad leaky?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, ther are a tad leaky, unless you are prepared to really tighten them up, but then it will be too tight for comfort (for me, anyway).
Some people don't care and are not nearly as fussy as I am with Masks and they can wear anything at any tightness and they will be very happy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like a leak rate of Max 45.6 is compromising the ASV therapy. High leaks and ASV therapy goes off the rails. Your AHI of 5.00 signals the same. Then another take is the ASV therapy settings look handcuffed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great observation. ASV and leaks don't go too well together....My average AHI has been below 2 but last night the new mask and leaks didn't do my AHI too much justice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on trying the mask! Stick with it. Also next time try to get the leak rate graph in the screenshot; the overview number isn't so useful because you ran the thing for a long time with the mask off (a giant leak). I'll attach the leak rates of my last two nights; first night the mask slipped off around 2:30 for awhile. Second night was much better, I tightened the straps. Still getting used to it too; when I lie on my side the pillow seems to push the mask off my nose a bit, trying to get used to a position that works better.

Quote:the machine somehow turned itself on after I had shut it down and taken the mask off

Mine did that too! I have my Resmed 10 set to full auto mode; it turns on when it detects me breathing, turns off when I take the mask off. I usually manually press the off button. Anyway twice now when I've taken the mask off and pressed the button to turn it off, the machine shuts off. Then comes on again in a minute or so! I wonder if the air flow from the cooldown is doing something odd in the mask that tricks the machine into thinking you're wearing it again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I think I know why the machine turns itself on.
Apparently while the machine is on but not in therapy, it still sends short bursts of air out the tube and looks for feedback via increase in pressure and flow of each burst.
If you were to "bend" one or both legs of the frame while the mask is off, you will find the machine will turn itself on.
In other words when it is in "Smart Start" mode, it constantly looks for feedback so it can turn itself on.
When you take it off overnight to go get a drink or visit the bathroom and leave your mask on the side table or your bed with the frame in a bent position, it will turn itself on:-)
Mystery solved...and yes, it was bothering me
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, yes, your leak rate is a bit on the UP side.

Try to include the Leak Rate graph rather than the Mask pressure if you can.

I find with the F30i I need to have the nose piece "cradle" my nose. Like the N30i does. Think of cupping your hands under your nostrils.

This means setting the mask a bit higher than you would think.

You can run the Mask test on the machine if you like, needs to be done supine. I like to do this: before hooking up the hose, I take a deep breath in, block the top hole where the connector goes with the palm of my hand and blow hard> this will show the area of potential leaks and where you need to pay more attention. supine of course.

I am impressed that these leak rates don't wake you, it's the mouth leaks that keep me awake.

It also helps if I pucker the lips into the mouth piece.

As others have said the F30 and F30i need to be symmetrically placed, and can be quite fussy.

I still have some leaks when I side sleep: usually the latter part of the night, deeper REM that's when I side sleep for some reason.

(eye masks are a good idea if you can find one that that fits with the F30i and covers the bridge of the nose. Most sleep masks I have tried don't seal around the nose too well. In desperation I previously used swim goggles with previous masks, but that is way too much stuff on my head. With the F30i I don't need any of that anymore).

Keep at it, it takes a while for new shoes to fit well, same with FFMs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2021, 12:34 AM)S. Manz Wrote: If you were to "bend" one or both legs of the frame while the mask is off, you will find the machine will turn itself on.

Yeah I think you're right! It definitely seems related to the airflow in the soft tubes in the headgear. If I'm careful not to bend those it seems not to turn the machine on again. The other option would be just to disconnect the mask from the hose at the elbow.

My third night with the F30i and slept just great, AHI under 1.0 (which is unusually good for me). SpO2 rates look great too. I haven't pulled the leak data into OSCAR to look in detail but the whole system is working well for me. I'm not convinced it's really better enough than the F20 to be a major change but I like it. Not having a tube come out of my face makes me feel a little more like a normal human being. Need to get a hose cover though; the tubing is far enough up the bed it's rubbing against the headboard and making noise. Funny little things you discover.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 189 Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  [Equipment] Resmed F30i Mask ditron1 3 130 04-23-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 48 3,371 04-19-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 342 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 183 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 156 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Cool [Pressure] Finally a Resmed user!!! Need Help!!! :) mrsleepyhead2001 2 185 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.