Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My First CPAP Report
RE: My First CPAP Report
Thinking of starting with a low pressure, you might consider setting the Ramp Start pressure to 6 cmH2O and setting the Ramp Time to Auto.

Many people feel air-starved at 4 cmH2O, and the EPR will not take full effect until the ramp has reached 7 cmH2O, so setting a long ramp time is not recommended. Setting the ramp time to Auto holds the pressure at your starting pressure until the machine detects a breathing pattern it associates with sleep onset, and then ramps up over a short period of time to your minimum therapy pressure.

The Clinicians' Manual says "detects sleep onset"... but we know the machine can't really tell if you are asleep.

I found 6 cmH2O to be the lowest pressure I was happy with, although now after many years I start at 10 cmH2O with no ramp at all. If I wanted to track sleep onset, I would start at 7 cmH2O and Auto time.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the clarification Stacey. Have a wonderful weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks pholynyk for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with both Stacey and Phil. You have the option to use ramp on Auto, however I think a minimum pressure of 4.0 is extremely low and is ineffective at treating obstruction. My suggested minimum of 8.0 with EPR 3 is for your therapy settings, and is based on pressures you already experience. We can pull down the maximum pressure, but you will not likely ever encounter it if we treat your flow limitations. The objective is to treat your obstructive events, including flow limitation. If aerophagia is an issue, then we will compromise between pressure and comfort. This is my first awareness of that possibly being an issue. Give the settings I suggested a try and use some ramp. My revised recommendations are:
Mode: Autoset soft
Minimum Pressure 7.0
Maximum Pressure 14.0
EPR On Full Time
EPR Setting 3
Ramp: Auto
Ramp Pressure 5.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SleepRider, will do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 216 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 264 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 213 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,684 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 518 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] My first report here Frankiboy 20 1,483 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 529 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.