Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My First Night Data With The Resmed S9 Auto Set
My First Night Data With The Resmed S9 Auto Set
After staying with my Fisher & Paykel Icon Premo for almost a yr and feeling crappy all the way through. My Sleep doctor did prescribed me another Sleep test to see if I needed an Auto Pap (Something that I kept asking for Since getting a bit educated & joining this Board).
My Last few days were so bad that I decided not to wait till the test(It is booked for July 9th) I did make the decision of Spending the money and purchased Resmed S9 Autoset & Resmed F10 Mask.

LAst night was my first one I had just 3 recorded events recorded over 8 hrs of APAping (I believe that I did sleep for at least 5 of those Hrs). AHI was .38. The Night before I had 32 events with the Icon Premo.

Still did not feel all that great through the day but really was not expecting to magically get better Overnight but keeping fingers crossed that hopefully with a few good nights with no or next to none events I might start feeling better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My First Night Data With The Resmed S9 Auto Set
Wow, that's awesome! I guess you have two options. Call the doc and see if he wants to cancel the sleep study.

Or ... Don't say anything, go through the sleep study, and get yourself a second Autoset to have as a back up.

Obviously, the cost will be one of the deciding factors for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job Realtor, way to take things in your own hands! From experience that is a good combo and it appears to be working for you. And now you can see what's happening (very little just how you want it). You may have some catching up to do but you are on your way. I hope you feel it sooner than later.
Good Luck,
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look great! Odds are good that even the 2 CA's you experienced will go away tonight or tomorrow. Good job! Are your mask leak rates good as well? I suspect they are, but since you're using a ffm, keep an eye on them.

Great results for a first night use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Realtor 1,
Great job taking your healthcare into your own hands.
Looks like you are off to a great start, keep it up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Way to go, Realtor 1. Keep us posted on how you feel tomorrow morning… and after a week… and into the future. You are so smart to become a (very) active participant in your own health care.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2014, 09:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Or ... Don't say anything, go through the sleep study, and get yourself a second Autoset to have as a back up.

Not sure how Canada does it, but in the U.S., insurance wouldn't pay for an Auto CPAP only a year after a person got a regular CPAP (same billing code).

Now, if you tell your doctor you aren't tolerating CPAP (which is true) and you want them to titrate you for BIPAP and the sleep study shows you do better on BIPAP, insurance would pay for a new S-9 VPAP Auto, which can essentially be used as an Auto CPAP if you want (or even better an auto BIPAP).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad that you are happy with the results of your first night with the S9 AutoSet.

But I also have to comment on this:
(06-19-2014, 09:45 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: LAst night was my first one I had just 3 recorded events recorded over 8 hrs of APAping (I believe that I did sleep for at least 5 of those Hrs).
Getting only 5 hours of sleep during an 8-hour "time in bed (sleep window)" is enough to leave anybody exhausted.

How much actual sleep were you getting with the Premo on a regular basis? And how much time were you spending in bed trying to sleep but not sleeping?

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 07:59 AM)jaycee Wrote: Not sure how Canada does it, but in the U.S., insurance wouldn't pay for an Auto CPAP only a year after a person got a regular CPAP (same billing code).

Now, if you tell your doctor you aren't tolerating CPAP (which is true) and you want them to titrate you for BIPAP and the sleep study shows you do better on BIPAP, insurance would pay for a new S-9 VPAP Auto, which can essentially be used as an Auto CPAP if you want (or even better an auto BIPAP).

Even if the doctor justifies the switch from the CPAP to the APAP for medical reasons? For example, the AHI is above 5 with the CPAP, and there's clinical evidence that in this particular case for these particular reasons there's every expectation that switching to a APAP will lower the AHI.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 09:41 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Even if the doctor justifies the switch from the CPAP to the APAP for medical reasons? For example, the AHI is above 5 with the CPAP, and there's clinical evidence that in this particular case for these particular reasons there's every expectation that switching to a APAP will lower the AHI.

The problem is the billing code. From the insurance companies point of view there is no difference between a CPAP and an APAP.

Now, an individual may call their insurance company and get an approval, but this doesn't always hold water. I've seen numerous instances when a person calls their insurance, the insurance person says "sure, if the doctor orders it we will cover", the DME gives the patient the machine, the insurance denies coverage and then the patient gets a bill from the DME. The patient is then all angry at the DME for sending them a bill but it is their insurance that denies.

The insurance industry isn't motivated to create a seperate billing code for APAP's because they already get away with paying less for them than what they really should (DME's just eat the cost of APAP's).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,326 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 241 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 475 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 390 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.