Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My First Night With a CPAP!!
My First Night With a CPAP!!
Last night was my first night with my CPAP! It wasn't quite what I expected but I'm optimistic about the upcoming nights.

First off, I slept way more then I should have, which is a common problem for me, especially since I didn't have an alarm set. (I slept about 10h).

So, about my actual night with my CPAP.....

First, the mask was less obstructive then I though it would be in bed. The heated tubing that I upgraded too seems a lot more flexible then the standard tube (which I still have as a back up) so as I tossed around I didn't feel overly tethered to the machine. (I think the pivoting adapter to the mask helps a lot too).

Secondly, I could barely hear the machine, which is great. I know at the clinic/store it sounded quite, but a dark bedroom and a clinic are too very different places for judging sound Tongue. When I disconnected the mask it makes a whooshing sound for a couple seconds, but apparently my partner never heard it throughout the night, which is great!

I noticed that I did wake up a few times feeling a little out of breath, I think I just have to work a little more on the exhaling, since with the pressure I'll need to apply slightly more pressure to get the air out of my lungs instead. I may try turning off the ramp tonight and see if that makes a difference.

The next thing (which I thought I would be more disappointed about) is that I did not make it the whole night with the mask. HOWEVER! I am so happy that I have the machine I do as it displays how many hours and minutes I had it on for. I woke up and I wasn't super tired and assumed I slept awhile. I took the mask off and looked at the display and realized it had been just under two hours. That feedback is what made me put my mask back on. If I didn't know, I might have assumed I slept longer and not put it back on. (This happened two other times). I took the mask off just for a few minute break and then back on. Overall, I had just under 4 hours of therapy time.

I thought at first I would be disappointed that I only had 4 hours, but with the immediate therapy reports (and the ability to go onto ResMed and check two weeks of data), I am simply making it a goal to increase my therapy time each night. I know eventually I will get to where I need to be!

Overall, I'm happy. I felt a little more restful after those 4 hours, but oddly when I slept another 4ish without, it almost undid that restful feeling. I'm excited to try again tonight, and hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to keep it on all night!!

Sorry about the novel Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My First Night With a CPAP!!
Feel free to write all that you want Smile It's nice for other people just starting out, and gives us more of a feel for how you are doing.

Just be aware that your goal is to get to 100% compliance as quickly as possible as it is only then that you will start to see the full benefits and your body can start healing. By taking the mask on and off, you are sending your brain mixed signals about what 'normal' is supposed to feel like - does this make sense?

If you can, try wearing the mask while awake - watching TV, reading, etc - it may help you to get used to it. One of the 'things' to watch for is large leaks (I don't know if your machine offers a 'smiley face' / 'frowny face' like the S9s did) If you have too much leakage it can affect your machine's ability to correct any issues.

A great beginning Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job on your first night Amie. Yes, one of the interesting things that can occur when you first start CPAP is you may wake up after only a couple of hours and feel like you slept half the night or better. That's because in those couple of hours your body got more rest than it has been used to getting all night. So it makes for a happy body. Happy bodies are good bodies. Gradually you will find you wake up less and less as your body gets used to it's new way of living.

As to going without the mask for 4 hours and feeling like it was sort of a setback? That's because it is. Become one with your machine. When you're in bed, the mask is on. Well, most of the time anyhow. But especially when you're asleep.

Again, good job on getting started. Your going to love your new way of sleep-life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, my machine offers a smiley face, and my online report gave me a perfect score for mask fitting, so no leaks. I find this mask can move quite a bit, but the design prevents it from leaking.

And at times I had to take it off to catch my breath, because I couldn't with the mask on. Unfortunately, when I took the mask off at the end I mean't to get up, but fell back asleep by mistake Sad. Tonight I will set my alarm so that doesn't happen.

My online report also stated that my not breathing episodes per hour was 6.5 or so. (The sleep clinic said 21). While I know it's not the same as the sleep clinic, I still think it's a great indication that the CPAP machine is working. Smile

Oh, and the mask itself is not uncomfortable, most of the time its not that noticeable, which I was surprised, and it doesn't restrict my breathing, it was 100% the feeling of being out of breath that made me take it off. In fact, I only disconnected the hose, didn't actually take the mask off (except to go to the washroom once when the cats woke me up for breakfast! haha).

But yeah, a usual night sleep is 7 hours (I could sleep longer but I try hard not to over sleep), so I don't have far to go. My guess, in a couple nights I'll be golden!!! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good for your first night, your story sounds a lot like my experience about the only thing different is I fought hard and kept the mask on, trust me there will be up's and downs but keep with it!, It does get easier.
Now for your exhale troubles, I experienced the same problem you explained, what I did with that was changed the EPR setting on the clinical side of the machine (Hold the home button and push the big dial button at the same time aprox. 3 sec you see the screen change) look for the EPR setting , you have 3 options auto 1 ,2 or 3, mine was set on 2 right in the middle I changed it to 3 which will make the pressure drop 3 points on exhale instead of 2 (easier) , It really helped me a lot it took me about a 1 week before I found out how to do this, I wish I found out sooner because that help.
If your afraid to change it you can have your DME do it remotely , and also set up you myAir account you see simple charts on your progress then you can take it a step further and down load Sleepyhead software to your PC and you can down load your SD card and have more detail charts on your progress.
This board will be an excellent resource for you!
Welcome and Happy Sleeping Smile
Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is like the s9, you push the off button quickly, before removing mask, it will not make that sound; tap it again when you want to start it up, again. If it turns on about the time you put the mask on, automatically, you might have to make a setting change. Not going to get into that with you; I don't do tech. Too many folks here to steer you on that, if desired. I found it was easier to fit the mask on, knowing that sucker wasn't gonna turn on in a flash, and leak like crazy before it was just like I wanted. Am glad you faired well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 01:19 PM)saltydawg2 Wrote: If it is like the s9, you push the off button quickly, before removing mask, it will not make that sound; tap it again when you want to start it up, again. If it turns on about the time you put the mask on, automatically, you might have to make a setting change. Not going to get into that with you; I don't do tech. Too many folks here to steer you on that, if desired. I found it was easier to fit the mask on, knowing that sucker wasn't gonna turn on in a flash, and leak like crazy before it was just like I wanted. Am glad you faired well.

thanks Smile. And my machine has an auto setting and a manual. The noise doesn't bother me, I actually thought it would have been louder Tongue. The hose clips on real easy and the pressure doesn't start until I take a few good breaths, which is nice. But thanks, if i find the noise starts to wake my partner up, I'll do the manual stop Tongue. But I guess the manual stop is also a good option if I need to talk, never thought about that Tongue

And the manual stop would be a better option for when I need to catch my breath for a second, instead of disconnecting the mask Tongue

Thankfully I found this forum to get some suggestions and bounce ideas off of :p
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Amie87,
Sounds like you are off to a fairly good start.
Just keep trying real hard to wear the mask all night, I know it takes some getting used to but before too long, this will be no problem for you.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you really have it set on a constant pressure of 7? Maybe you feel out of breath because the pressure needs to be more.... you could try a range like 7-15, and you may end up with a better treatment Smile also, the EPR is helpful. I have left mine at the default of 2, which seems good for me until the pressures get toward the higher end of my range, and then sometimes I wake feeling like I can't exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 02:55 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Do you really have it set on a constant pressure of 7? Maybe you feel out of breath because the pressure needs to be more.... you could try a range like 7-15, and you may end up with a better treatment Smile also, the EPR is helpful. I have left mine at the default of 2, which seems good for me until the pressures get toward the higher end of my range, and then sometimes I wake feeling like I can't exhale.

my prescription is for 6-9cm. It's set at 4 and ramps up to 7. When it's on 4 I feel fine, but at 7 is when it seems to be tricky. I go in a month for another sleep study to adjust the pressure. (I can also call and have them change the pressure as long as it's in the range of 6-9.). I don't want to go outside this range since I'm just starting therapy and also, this data is going to be sent back to my sleep doctor to help with finding the best pressure and what not.

There is also a diffuser pad over the exhale holes to prevent a burst of air on exhale (more so for the comfort of bed partners Tongue) But I may also try removing that and see if exhaling is easier Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 5 47 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 128 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 234 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,218 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 978 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 423 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 372 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.