Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My First Thirty Days
RE: My First Thirty Days
@bluehorseshoe - I ran across the study #labrat refers to a couple weeks ago, or one similar. I will try to locate it.

UPDATE:

most likely it was Figure 3 of this publication, and use of CPAP less than one hour a day is a non-scientific approximation to non-treated.
this discusses a case study of moderate to severe diagnosed OSA patients of which 40% survived after 84 months (7 years) [if they did not use the CPAP treatement]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2727690/
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given those stats in Melbourne in 1998.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2014, 11:04 AM)denton Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 08:00 AM)lab rat Wrote: And about 2 years later I went to a seminar run by the local Sleep Clinic where they told us the average life expectancy of somebody with Obstructive Sleep Apnea is 7 years if untreated. The build up of sleep and oxygen deprivation as well as stress on the heart and lungs to gasp for air and keep breathing leads to degeneration of both as well as a 100% chance of stroke and/or heart attack.

So yeah... lol

Thank you LabRat (and everyone) for your comments and helpful tips. Now if I can just fix the bridge of my nose.... lol.

I think I've probably gone ten years before getting treatment and I'm still here and except for the hypertension (which is now going down) I'm in pretty good shape. I've had two echocardiograms and three EKGs in the last year or so (cuz doctors get paid now by ordering tests.) Having said all that, I should have taken care of it a long time ago. But better late than never.

Thing is, the longer it goes untreated the more things start going wrong with your body. Some irreversible.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep practitioner told me, based on surveys of new patients, it takes an average of approximately 8 years after first symptoms (mostly snoring) before a person seeks medical help. The previously quoted study says most of the diagnosed patients that do not use CPAP regularly die within 7 yrs. Combining the two, a good estimate of how long the OSA-->damage-->death cycle takes is 15 yrs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2014, 11:28 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: My sleep practitioner told me, based on surveys of new patients, it takes an average of approximately 8 years after first symptoms (mostly snoring) before a person seeks medical help. The previously quoted study says most of the diagnosed patients that do not use CPAP regularly die within 7 yrs. Combining the two, a good estimate of how long the OSA-->damage-->death cycle takes is 15 yrs.

I am 56 and have had apnea my whole life - or at least since I can't prove that for lack of a study, some very compelling symptoms have existed my whole life. I finally got a sleep study last october and a cpap in november. How fast it kills you may have a considerable number of other variables Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
yep. this forum is chock full of 1%'ers. We are all fortunate to be alive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2014, 06:16 PM)denton Wrote: Thank you! I did download the sleepyhead software, and it doesn't read the data as far as I can tell. It's not a popular machine, it seems. But as I said, if I run up against the limits of what I can do, I'll sell it and get a better one.

Compared to living in NYC, a new APAP machine that Sleepyhead can read, is very inexpensive (generally ~$600-$700 online).

You'll probably be ahead of the game to just figure the cost of your first machine as a "test" (in reality, it was probably a lot less expensive than a sleep study).

Post Reply Post Reply
Another big difference in survival would be if the effects of the OSA were well-treated or not.

E.g., in my case, presuming the issue with AFIB and near heart failure was OSA related, I survived that [easily?] due to good treatment of THOSE issues.

A lot of these other issues, may or may not be caused by OSA, may or may not be exacerbated by OSA etc.

Also, what were the survival rates for a control group of similar age, etc. without OSA?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2014, 11:27 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: @bluehorseshoe - I ran across the study #labrat refers to a couple weeks ago, or one similar. I will try to locate it.

UPDATE:

most likely it was Figure 3 of this publication, and use of CPAP less than one hour a day is a non-scientific approximation to non-treated.
this discusses a case study of moderate to severe diagnosed OSA patients of which 40% survived after 84 months (7 years) [if they did not use the CPAP treatement]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2727690/

Thank you so much for the article sitation, I will read it over the weekend for comprehension. Like many of us here, I believe I have had some form of sleep apnea for many years and have had most of the risk factors too. Happy New Year to all. Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 09:59 AM)herbm Wrote: ... what were the survival rates for a control group of similar age, etc. without OSA?

The study does supply the results and compares against other pop groups. It is an awesome study for what it meant to accomplish. It does compare the OSA treated and untreated to non-OSA pop. It also describes some epidemiology and nice charts of progression.

Glad you got the treatment for those issues.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 424 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 343 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 906 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,096 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 503 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.