Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My IPAP is 16 is that unhealthy what is normal
Question 
My IPAP is 16 is that unhealthy what is normal
I have 16/12 for my settings. After reading many posts on this forum my pressures seem high compared to a lot of the posts I am reading? Does this indicate I have a lung problem or other health issue related to my breathing?

Thanks for any information

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My IPAP is 66 is that unhealthy what is normal
No! Pressures are different for everyone. Things that can affect it are weight, age, Throat diameter etc. I was using 22cm to 25cm when I started. I lost some weight and now use 12cm to 15cm. So don't get caught up on what other peoples pressure are. Your pressure is normal for you.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't necessary indicate anything. Some people have very severe obstructive apnea (OSA) and are easily treated with low CPAP pressures. Conversely, some people have what is considered minor OSA, and require much higher pressures to treat it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I was concerned that the higher pressure might indicate a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could, so it's not a bad question to ask at all, but there are a lot of variables to consider. I wouldn't worry about it honestly. If you were symptomatic during the day and struggled with breathing, then that would be a reason to make a doctor appointment to try and find out what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I do think the 66cm suggested in the title might cause some serious discomfort Dielaughing, the16/12 is just fine.. heh. Actually it pretty much matches my needed range (my auto will even go up to 20 for some events, and I never notice).  Given the nature of these machines, they will never achieve a harmful pressure.. so sleep easy. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a typo and put 66 in the title how can I change it to 16?
Thanks madcat and matt for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you have exceeded the edit time limit.  I will put in a change request for you.

BTW: To me, your pressures look average,  Everyone is different in this area . . .just like the mask that works for you. I tend to look at pressures as tertiary to good sleep and low AHI's.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 01:13 PM)gwc2795 Wrote: I made a typo and put 66 in the title how can I change it to 16?

Ask one of the forum moderators. Find them on the Main Page, in the small print between the two banners that identify the section (eg., this section is Apnea Board Forum, and: Moderated By: [b]DeepBreathing, OpalRose, PaulaO2, Sleepster, SuperSleeper[/b]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 01:13 PM)gwc2795 Wrote: I made a typo and put 66 in the title how can I change it to 16?

Sorry about that. I knew it was a typo, just had to have a bit of fun.  Dancing.  (Though a 66cm would likely be damaging and painful). 

I will say that when you get used to it, you don't even feel the pressure. I have woken up before, and not feeling it, accidentally turned my machine off (the sudden suffocating told me I was indeed wrong.. lol). It may seem high at first, but your body for sure safely adapts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 421 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,106 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 254 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,695 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.