Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Journey from BiPAP Auto to Aircurve 10 Vauto
RE: My Journey from BiPAP Auto to Aircurve 10 Vauto
Well, that was interesting!  Tonight I did sleep with the O2 ported directly into the mask at 5L.  The Leak graph was off the chart and whenever I looked during the night the O2 was above 95 but looking at the chart there were MORE and longer periods where O2 was less than 88%.  It appears to me it is shallow breathing doing it??  Here are the charts.  I see the Dr. on Monday.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
During a large leak, the machine does not detect breathing flow rate as accurately and it usually appears like shallow breathing. We have seen that leaks are bad for your SpO2. This is for two reasons; first when a leak occurs there is more flow in the circuit as the CPAP tries to maintain pressure with more flow and this dilutes the oxygen. Secondly, pressure is not maintained which affects your airway. For some reason, it appears during this large leak, your respiration rate increases, resulting in lower volume.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the mask and how I set it up with O2.   I think the large leaks were there because 5L o2 was coming into Pillows and the pressure in the pillows was being forced out the port in the pillows.  Am I wrong with that assumption?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your baseline leak rate with this addition of O2 is about 10 L/min. Resmed nets out the expected leak so it's hard to get a real good idea. I think we should increase the leak scale to about 70. I think it is fair to change the large leak flag from the default 24 L/min to 35 L/min to account for the addition of O2. That setting in OSCAR is in File/Preference/CPAP on the right side.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I could not find where to change the dotted line as you wanted.  "change the large leak flag from the default 24 L/min to 35 L/min to account for the addition of O2. That setting in OSCAR is in File/Preference/CPAP on the right side."  I can't find any settings on the right side...
Post Reply Post Reply
I just thought about something.  I did not cut off the oxygen port from the machine to the tubing where the O2 was connected.  That would probably be the cause of the increased leakage.  Stupid, I know but I was just thinking about getting the O2 hooked up and did not make the hose directly connected to the cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess you are talking about the other oxygen connection elsewhere. This is either an attachment near the mask or on the hose near the machine. Whichever is correct, either swap in a non-oxygen bleed hose or remove the extra port near the mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can probably find carburetor vacuum caps at an auto parts store to cap off any oxygen port not in use. The Mack’s Silicon Putty would also work or just remove the bleed adapter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I would say the experiment was a success.  Now I need to find a way to keep the O2 level up like this full time.  The mask that I cut up is not going to keep working so I need to find a way to achieve the same results...
Post Reply Post Reply
Much better and great information for your doctor to consider. Do you think it might be possible to drill a hole into the swivel coupling on top, then thread the O2 tube down through the mask to the nasal cushion? The O2 tube would have to be sealed where it penetrates.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,355 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 852 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 554 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 205 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.