Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Journey from BiPAP Auto to Aircurve 10 Vauto
My Journey from BiPAP Auto to Aircurve 10 Vauto
My AHI was the best ever but the leak rate was strange and I had 3 lines on the pressure I don't under stand.  Can anyone shed some light on the data from OSCAR?  What do I need to try to "change"?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbe First time using APAP mode
If you look at your detailed data on the left, you will see 3 listings, Pressure, EPAP Set, and IPAP Set. These seem to correspond to the pressure graph.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbe First time using BiPAP Auto mode
Stacey, I updated your thread title to show this is a BiPAP Auto not APAP.

I had not seen the pressure line on my graphs before in Sleepyhead OSCAR or Encore when I used a Respironics System One auto BiPAP, but in the latest version of OSCAR it is clearly there. I'm unsure of the source of that data and will ask the the Oscar Developer "Sawinglogz" where that come from.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your night looks great overall, with just one interval of about 20 minutes large leak -- since you're not seeing tons of large leaks throughout the night, I don't see a big problem. Leaks like this sometimes happen to me when I wedge my face into the pillow a funny way, until I move again. If, on the other hand, we saw lots of large leaking throughout the night with really high IPAP pressures, I'd be more concerned.

On the PRS1 BiPAP machines, the pressure measurement channel appears to be the 2-minute average pressure applied to the mask, which puts it somewhere between the commanded EPAP and IPAP pressure (the EPAP Set and IPAP Set channels). Since inspiratory time (Ti) is generally shorter than expiratory time (Te), the average is usually closer to EPAP than IPAP.

In terms of practical use, it's probably only useful as an indication of your Ti/Te ratio.

(Annoyingly, on non-BiPAP machines the pressure channel appears to more closely track the effective EPAP due to Flex pressure reduction. OSCAR now correctly distinguishes between these two uses. Also, the "leak rate" on your machine is calculated by OSCAR from the "total leak rate" that's reported by the machine itself. I haven't reviewed that calculation's accuracy. Only the PRS1 ASV and ventilators report both total leak and unintentional leak. The "large leak" flag is reported by the machine, though, so that should be accurate.)

So things are looking pretty good to me. How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wake up several times each night and feel it all day. I am doing better but not good yet. I ordered a double mouth guard and hope that will help with waking up so much. I have tried full face makes but could not sleep with them so I went back to a nose type mask.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You could consider mouth tape and/or chin straps if they become needed to help with keeping the mouth closed. I don't know much about the tape aspect, and I've yet to use a chin strap. I am considering Supplier #37 for their version of the strap in the future to try again nasal and pillows.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Worse night I have had in a month.  2 questions, what is a clear airway (looked in wiki - nothing) 2. I was having a lot of pressure leaks from my mouth, does this chart show mouth breathing also?
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey, increase the PS min to 4.0. You are having a lot of flow limitation, and leaks are pretty bad about the same time as events. If you are able to post images zoomed to about a 2-minute duration, I'd like to see around 00:40 and 04:30 to get a sense of what is going on. The objective is to get in close enough to clearly see the shape of the flow rate wave-form.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope this is what you need to see..
Post Reply Post Reply
I can see the flow limitation, and it would be even more dramatic a bit closer, thus the request for a 2-minute segment. We usually try to treat that with more pressure support. Your current settings are PS min 3.5 and PS max 5.0. In both these images PS is at 3.5 and it's not enough, so we're going to increase PS min until we can impact the flow limits. Notice how you are getting short-changed on PS with the Philips BiPAP. Pressure is at 11.9 and IPAP at 14.5 which is a difference of only 2.6 PS. This may be a function of BiFlex but it leaves you with a lot of FL which grows into hypopnea and RERA. The concern is that we don't trigger more CA events. We may be able to reduce EPAP min to lower overall pressure, but the priority right now is to increase PS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 930 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,502 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.