Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Leak Issue!
My Leak Issue!
Hi. Most of my nites have been totally fine, events-wise and virtually no leaks at all. But last nite and two other nites in recent weeks the same exact thing occurs: From the first moment I put on the mask there's terrible leaking. After I make a number of adjustments I can't stop the leaking. So, I'm so tired and P*ssed off that I just say "screw it!!" and sleep the whole nite without cpap.
The mask is fine and the right size so I don't get it.
Anyone else have this issue and just do without for the nite?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Leak Issue!
Not really. Most of use find the problem and fix it.
How old is the mask cushion? Perhaps it's lost it's flex.
headgear -- worn out? too loose?
Mask worked for you for a while; but perhaps it's not the best choice for you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2016, 09:02 PM)harmon k Wrote: Hi. Most of my nites have been totally fine, events-wise and virtually no leaks at all. But last nite and two other nites in recent weeks the same exact thing occurs: From the first moment I put on the mask there's terrible leaking. After I make a number of adjustments I can't stop the leaking. So, I'm so tired and P*ssed off that I just say "screw it!!" and sleep the whole nite without cpap.
Are you over tired when you go to bed? And are you trying to fit the mask while sitting up in bed?

You might try fitting the head gear and straps well before bedtime so that you can just strap the mask on when you go to bed.

Quote:The mask is fine and the right size so I don't get it.
How old is the cushion? How old is the headgear? And when was the last time you did a full refitting of the mask adjusting all the straps on the headgear to make sure they haven't gotten stretched out.

Quote:Anyone else have this issue and just do without for the nite?
I've only slept without my mask 3 times since starting CPAP 6 years ago, and none of them were because I got mad at mask leaks. Every time I did have to sleep without my mask on, I woke up feeling pretty much in the same kind of pain that I had before starting CPAP.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope, never had that issue.
The two times I slept without was because the electric went out, and I can tell you I felt pretty bad by morning. I would never just choose to sleep without!

Have you tried liners with your mask? I heard some here say it not only protects their skin but helps with the leaks.

How often do you clean your mask? Facial oils can accumulate and the mask may not seal properly.
Make sure your face is clean before putting your mask on.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.
Last night was a different annoying issue: mask fit fine then while sleeping I had an itch on my nose area. lifted the mask to scratch, then put mask area back on. Result: leaking! Problem was, I'm basically asleep at that point and cannot readjust. Oh, well hee hee

BTW, I clean mask daily. But I'll take the advice of fitting the mask well before I'm ready for bed at which point I'm real tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have the Amara View, which is a pistol sometimes to get right. The advice to fit it ahead of time is sound. When I use that mask, I usually disconnect it from the hose and look in the bathroom mirror to make sure it's right. A liner works well for those, I use Pad-a-cheek, and although the leakage is stopped, it is reduced and diffused to where it doesn't bother my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 0 14 45 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 56 4 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 52 10 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 79 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,312 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 76 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 617 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.