Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Mask (mis)adventures to date
My Mask (mis)adventures to date
I started six weeks ago with a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset CPAP, plus a Airfit F20 Full Face Mask

I was surprised and pleased how easily I adapted to sleeping with the CPAP.
At first my AHI figures were poor, but advice from the forum resulted in big improvements.

The really good news was that using the CPAP and mask caused my seriously blocked nose and sinuses to clear!

However, the big problem was serious mask leaks. Until I could resolve that, I couldn't further fine-tune the settings.

The Airfit F20 FFM was comfortable, but had annoying leaks around my eyes no matter how I adjusted the straps.
This resulted in dry and irritated eyes each morning.
I eventually cured the eye leaks by placing a strip of foam tape over the bridge of my nose to block the gap.

The other problem was "farting noises" from the sides whenever the pressure increased.
And I noticed that the leaks were always much worse in the early morning.

Next I bought a ResMed AirTouch F20 Foam Cushion to replace the normal F20 mask.

This was wonderfully comfortable, and at first didn't leak. However by morning it was leaking worse that ever from the sides.
I suspect that this is caused by the foam material becoming saturated with moisture and losing its resiliance.

However a further problem took me longer to understand.
Eventually I discovered that if I gently press on the sides of my nose I can cause my nose to block.
I realised that the mask was pushing on the sides of my nose and partially blocking the passage.

I've ordered a set of "Stop Snoring Cones" to hold my nosril open, hoping that it will cure that particular problem

Next I swapped to a ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask.
This was fairly comfortable, and I quickly adapted to keeping my mouth closed.
The problem it that the nose tubes are easily displaced and it then leaks badly.

Next I tried a ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask

This has a pair of holes in the bubble strip which provide a path for air into the nostrils.
The problem is that the holes are small and can easily become misaligned.

The huge problem however is that there is a narrow strip between the nose holes which presses against the septum, which for me becomes incredibly painful as time passes.
I was able to tolerate all of the masks I tried, but not the F30.
Although I tried many times, I was never able to get to sleep with the F30.
The experience with the F30 distressed me so much that it's changed my whole attitude to CPAP.
I now know how a bull feels when the farmer tugs on the rope tied to his nose ring.
I suppose that others find the F30 acceptable, but  absolutely hate it!

So last of all I bought a Bleep DreamWay, plus box of DreamPorts.
The Bleep consists of a pair of small nozzles with adhesive strips which you stick on your nose.

I had high hopes for the Bleep. It seemed a perfect answer to my leak problems.
Unfortunately the first night was a disaster. Although the hose is very light, it still is weighty enough to drag around the Bleep ports. This eventually causes the adhesive strip to come away from the sides of the nose (where the strips are very thin).
I patched up the leaks with strips of 3M foam tape, but when I checked my results in the morning, the leaks were the worst I had every seen.

I tried using a soft collar to help stop mouth leaks, but it didn't help.
I haven't tried mouth taping yet, perhaps that is next.

Plus clipping the header tubes onto the Bleep ports when they are installed is quite difficult.
I think that folks with arthritis would find it impossible.

Incidentally I did try a Soft Collar with each of the masks, but never saw any conclusive change in my AHI figures. Plus I find the collar very uncomfortable.

So that is the state of my progress so far. Sadly, not good at all.

I would welcome suggestions as to what to try next.

Thanks ..............Zim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Mask (mis)adventures to date
That is the hardest part is getting the right mask. Hope you are not over tighting it. There are places you can get mask replacement until you find exactly what fits you. For a small extra fee.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the bleep make sure you clean your nose well with an astringent and clean shaven round the nasal area if you have a moustache you may need to clip the hair around the bottom of the nose. If you still have issues there is a barrier lotion you can use to stop facial oils affecting the glue
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary1of2,
Thanks, yes I do understand that "less is more" when it comes to tightening the straps.

and Jaswilliams,
Yes, I did use an alcohol based wipe to remove any oils, etc.
And I think I'll talk to the people who lets us try out masks next.

Last night I went back to the FFM with humidity turned off (and no water).
First session was brilliant (no leaks!), but second session had crazy pressure changes.
Much snoring and flow limits.

Thanks ... Zim
Post Reply Post Reply
I started SA therapy with an AirFit F20. It worked well from the start. Once the AirFit F30 came out, I had to try it. I've been using it now for a couple of months, and I'm liking it. 

I see myself switching back & forth every now & then. Between the two, I'll be good to go.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
> I haven't tried mouth taping yet, perhaps that is next.

Please don't, it can be dangerous! Maybe a chin strap instead?
Post Reply Post Reply
Beamrider,

> Please don't, it can be dangerous! Maybe a chin strap instead?

Yeah I Understand. Doesn't sound to great to me either.

Perhaps just once to clarify if the problem is mouth leaks.

thanks ... Zim
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 01:44 AM)gzimmer Wrote: Perhaps just once to clarify if the problem is mouth leaks.

Of course you have to do what you feel right, but if you have either a proper chin strap or a makeshift one (you can do it with a couple rubber bands) I think it would be a safer and equally effective option to check if mouth leaking is the issue. You sound (and read) like you've tried everything, maybe worth trying this one too before the mouth taping option?

Good luck either way, and hope your problem is solved soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
You will find a soft cervical collar will frequently work better than the traditional chin strap.

On taping, the purpose is to stop air from leaking, not to keep the mouth shut. And always do so in a manner that you can open your mouth and with a tab for easy removal.

FYI, there are doctors the say taping is good.

Without question it is controversial
Post Reply Post Reply
I made some progress at last!

I went back to the AirTouch F20 Foam Cushion mask and did much experimenting with the straps.

Eventually I realised that the bottom straps are at a poor angle. They pull the mask sideways which does nothing to hold it against my face. What is needed is for the straps to pull inwards and down.

So I added a piece of elastic which goes from the bottom straps and under my chin.
This holds in the sides (which cures the farting noises) and also holds the mask down (which cures the eye leaks).

(The chin strap also keeps my mouth closed, although that is redundant with a full face mask)

I also switched off the Humidity (and no water in tank) which cures the problem of the foam becoming saturated by morning.
No problems so far with dry throat, etc.

Results last night were excellent (AHI 1.62) with absolutely no leaks.

Will run with this for a few nights, then start further fine-tuning my machine settings.

Will probably revert to the plain F20 mask, as the foam is rapidly deteriorating (although the dryness might help).

..........Zim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,199 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirTouch F20 mask date code? Labromaniac 4 425 02-14-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Airsense 10 Autoset- I messed up the date OldFatMan 3 394 12-26-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Help interpreting Oscar date from first night Keicereal 2 350 12-04-2023, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Keicereal
  [Equipment] Time/Date Setting MoneyPit1946 9 659 10-07-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.