Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My New ASV Journey
My New ASV Journey
Hello Apnea Board Forum,

My name is Robert and I go by ShiftWorker because i work third shift, my hours are from midnight to 08:30 five nights a week.

I started out in 2011 with a standard cpap, but could not tolerate the 20 cm/h20 that I was set at, back and fourth with new in lab studies but never enough sleep to get properly titrated I gave up. Last November I was in AFib, had to spend six night in the hospital, to get my meds adjusted. I was told by several of the good doctors taking care of me that non pap compliance was a likely contributor to the AFib, decided then that I needed to push my PCP for more help. I was actually surprised when he showed up at my bed and asked how he could help me help myself, I was able to get a referred to the sleep clinic then. That is when this journey actually started.

I have been on this new journey with the new machine for three nights, First night only used it for just about 2 hours, getting used to the mask and hose. The second night slept with it for just over three hours, told myself that I would need to wake for a pit stop in a couple of hours so did not put it on at the beginning of bedtime, so only slept for three hours with my machine running, I woke up for my day feeling like a new man, not groggy tired and in a general stupor until i get showered and start moving about. This let me know I was indeed on the right track.

On to last night, I put on my mask turned on the machine and got ready to sleep and feel great upon waking, to my surprise I felt like normal, in a stupor and tired. I soon realizes that the hose was not attached to the mask, I am not sure what or when this happened, will need to investigate further after I get home in the morning. 

I have not posted any sleepyhead data because I have just started and have not slept much with the machine to collect data. I will give myself time to be able to get through a couple of full nights with my machine on.

I look forward to getting some help with any adjustments I may need to make in the near future, and will hopefully not need to go to another overnight ASV titration that my sleep doc. says I need as my last one I did not sleep long enough to get good results and will probably need to raise my minimum EPAP pressure. 

Not only do I have complex sleep apnea but also insomnia, have trouble falling asleep. Probably due to not breathing as a go to sleep and waking in a panic, my brain tells my body not to go to sleep, hopefully treatment will change this. 

Thank you all for the direct information that you've given me and for all of your posts, giving me hope for a better night sleep.

Robert.
Thanks
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My New ASV Journey
What helps getting use to the mask is wear it while you are doing things like wathing tv or reading a book before you go to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary, that's generally good advice but I wouldn't suggest it for an ASV. Because of its breath-by-breath reaction the machine will keep giving you increased PS every time there's a pause in your breathing. Won't do you any harm but it will give you the irrits.

The best way to adjust is just to lie quietly and breathe slowly and evenly. The machine will follow your lead. If it gets ahead of itself just blow back hard and it will back off.
Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing,

Even though the advice wasn't directed to me specifically, I appreciate it anyway. I'll be starting ASV tomorrow eve if the DME fulfills the scheduled appointment for "training" and mask fitting/selection, which I'm mostly certain they will.

So I say thanks. I am gleaning all available info that connects to an ASV so I can be prepared to succeed.

Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,355 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 930 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,202 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,399 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 803 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.