Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Old House
Gross 
I should have known not to start it but I did.

There's the original parts of the house. They are sturdy, strong, well built. Then there's the Idiot who came along later. Anything the Idiot touched is borked. And most of them we stand back and scratch our heads as to why he did it this way. Or why they even bothered.

The house was not built with a bathroom so what was done was they moved the doorway to one of the rooms, added a wall, and closed off the end of the hall they created. The bathroom is itty bitty at 5x5. Most of that work was not done by The Idiot. But at some point, the Idiot had a hand in it. There's a kind of false wall between the one room (my office) and the bathroom. It doesn't need to be as deep as it was made and we don't think it is "original" to when the bathroom was added on. Then paneling was added to the hallway, including the ceiling. The hallway is extremely narrow and, at 5'5", I can touch the ceiling and both walls. So the paneling has always been something we've wanted to get rid of. With the pup coming, and with my chair having banged the crap out of the corner where I come out of the office, I decided I would take the paneling down from that wall so she would not chew on it.

What a mess.

The paneling came off easy enough. It was barely held on. Underneath it was several layers of wallpaper, two we had not seen before (or had not in a while). The first two came off easily as they were not glued in place, but nailed. The third is glued on but the wood underneath it is rough in places so it is coming off in smallish chunks. Underneath that paper is newspaper. We had the same thing in the office. We have the entire from page of the Asheville Citizen Times that declared President Harding Is Dead.

I need to clear off that wallpaper and newspaper from about knee high down (puppy reach). In other places where we have encountered this stuff, warm water and making scratches in it was all it took.

Still, a good project for a cold weekend.

If interested, PM me and I'll give you my Instagram link. You can see the pics there of the newspaper bits and the rest.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully you posted pictures of the Harding article on FB or whatever Instagram is. Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
When old wallpaper in an Akron, Ohio apartment started coming off due to a roof leak, I removed it using laundry pre-wash, water, and scraping. The pre-wash is a surfactant which helped loosen the glue so I could remove the paper.

Underneath, the original lath and plaster wall was signed by the plasterer, around 1904.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

The newspaper is in plastic up in the attic. I need to have it framed.

Yes, we used something similar on the parts that were glued too much for simple water. TCP? PCP? Ha, yeah, PCP. That'd make the wallpaper look sooo much better, wouldn't it?
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
How about TriSodium Phosphate (TSP)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Harding, DEAD? . . . .When?

I think whoever did prior renovations to my house must have been related to your idiots. I've come to expect that any simple project will turn into a major renovation to correct the mistakes.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

There is no such thing as a minor construction project or remodel just as there is no such thing as "minor" surgery.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My house was "owner built". Suffice to say that the owner was not a carpenter or builder of any sort. Parts are over built, parts are under-built, parts are just "What the ????". Renovations are always an adventure!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 02:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If interested, PM me and I'll give you my Instagram link. You can see the pics there of the newspaper bits and the rest.

Hey, gimme that link... I'd like to see that. My house was built in 1900 and then "updated" by a relative of your "Idiot" I think. After I bought this house, I find myself asking "what kind of drugs was this idiot taking?"... Oh-jeez
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

(11-21-2016, 02:25 AM)chill Wrote: My house was "owner built". Suffice to say that the owner was not a carpenter or builder of any sort. Parts are over built, parts are under-built, parts are just "What the ????". Renovations are always an adventure!

Our house must also have been 'touched' by a relative of the "Idjit". When we bought it, we did not notice that the 3 piece bathroom in the basement had wood around the base of the shower......WHY......we never figured that out. Every project my husband has ever undertaken in our house has turned out to be a much longer process than it would have been ordinarily. We recently had new windows put in our house after putting up with single pane windows for over 30 years. We look forward to a warmer house this Winter.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keeping My House Clean Schnauzers 5 7 3,036 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
Sad HOUSE MD! Dreamcatcher 14 5,517 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Last Post: mjbearit