Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Old House
My house was originally built in 1903 +/-. After the Spanish Flu epidemic on the late teens (1918 ish), the second floor was added. The second floor consists of two bedrooms, a full bath (not part of a Master suite), and a half bath (attached to a bedroom).

Wife and I had issues with a toilet leaking in the full bath upstairs (discovered that two segments of cast iron drain piping had become unconnected and if the planets are aligned (correctly or incorrectly depending on your point of view), we would be greeted with a "shower".

Most homes of that period were constructed with plaster over wood lath. Not this home!!!! Oh-jeez

Discovered that our second floor was plaster over 1/2" thick gypsum board (precursor to modern drywall). Also discovered they had put tile over 3/4" oak flooring. Oak Flooring and water don't mix usually.

Wife had the vision to convert the full and half bath into a full bath with a walk in shower located where the half bath toilet used to be.

Because we had discovered mold during our demo, we removed everything to the studs. We had to allow for the thickness of the plaster which made putting up new studs really interesting.

We are in the process of tiling the 34 x 48 shower. Then everything in the shower needs to be grouted.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fourteen years ago, my wife and I decided to build a house, so that no idiot would bitter the coexistence, we did without help of several important jobs..
1. Very complex electrical installation.
2. Assembly of the 22 interior doors of cherry wood.
3. iron fence perimeter of the house, (we asked for as much money as if this were the gates of the palace of Versailles in Paris).
4. Hipocaust, (Gloria), underfloor heating with water, tremendously efficient and very very cheap.

Probably we would save for these four concepts about € 50,000 (US$ 55.000). Except the first item, the rest a few days courses, tools and everything ready
Post Reply Post Reply
We'd love underfloor heating. Because of the high thresholds, we have the room to do it on top of the floor we have now. But alas, money is such a big object.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

In Europe, almost all new underfloor heating systems are not expensive, covering the pipes with mortar of 4 inch thick, made of fine sand of very washed river , comfort is magnificent, infrared photo taken two years ago in the dinning room. It was the best thing we did at home.

We have a great winery with rural house. It has a house with underfloor heating of air heated by bales of straw

[Image: c2db5e7905d622c8e5a129743561e4c2o.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keeping My House Clean Schnauzers 5 7 3,036 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
Sad HOUSE MD! Dreamcatcher 14 5,517 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Last Post: mjbearit