Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Phillips Respironics DreamStation Stopped Showing Therapy Hrs and AHI
My Phillips Respironics DreamStation Stopped Showing Therapy Hrs and AHI
This morning, I set the time on my Phillips Respironic DreamStation back one hour to account for the return to standard time. I've done this time changing several times before on the machine both for Daylight Savings Time and standard time and never had a problem until today.  Now I notice that the LCD screen wiped out all of the data from last night's therapy session-- ie, number of therapy hours, AHI, mask fit, leak data, and last night's pressures. All of this data was visible on the LCD screen when I woke up this morning and is now gone and shows all zeroes for those items, as though I hadn't worn my CPAP last night. Now that it's all set to zero and showing I didn't wear my CPAP when I actually did, it will screw up the overall data that my sleep doctor will look at and analyze. I put the SD card into the Sleepyhead app on my laptop and it shows my data from last night as I recall it from the LCD screen  before I set the time back an hour. But, because my sleep dr. downloads my data directly from the modem in my machine and doesn't look at the SD card, he's going to get a false reading. Sure, I can bring him my SD card and tell him to ignore what's on the modem. But, now I've lost faith in the machine because it gave me false readings and is displaying that I skipped a night when in reality I haven't skipped any nights of use. So, how do I know that it's actually providing me with accurate therapy if it willy-nilly just wipes out data? Right now, I'm so disgusted that I've unplugged the machine and am considering not even using it at all since I've lost faith in it.. Even though I believe that this issue is related to my having changed the time, I believe that a machine that can't handle a simple change of a time on its clock isn't very robust and isn't very trustworthy. That's something that I will be discussing with my sleep dr. But, it would be nice to rectify the issue if possible.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with their DreamStation? If so, how did you resolve the problem? Were you able to retrieve the data it wiped out on the LCD screen but that is on the SD card?  I haven't found any information online about whether or not there's a way to get the AHI, therapy data, mask fit, leak data back on to the LCD screen.  I removed both the modem and the SD card, unplugged the machine, all to no avail. I also set the clock back to Daylight Savings Time and am never changing it back again, whether or not it's standard time or DST.

Any insights that anyone in this forum can provide me would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Phillips Respironics DreamStation Stopped Showing Therapy Hrs and AHI
At what time during the day did you reset the time back for Standard Time? It could be that if you did it during the hour that follows day changeover time, which I believe on the Dreamstation is 12 noon, your previous night's session was sucked into a vortex of nonexistent time.

That said, don't let it discourage you into not using the machine anymore for your therapy. Chalk it up to live and learn, and in the future do the time reset later in the day. Or if you prefer, just leave it on either ST or DST and never change it, since it doesn't really matter that much for Sleepyhead, as you've discovered. I guess you didn't use your DreamMapper before the SNAFU, but it might still be worth checking just to see what it says.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sheepish,
Thanks for your reply. I had changed the time in the late morning yesterday, CST, forgetting that the DreamStation operates on GMT. It appears that since I didn't have this problem in the past, in those previous times I must have been changing the clock at a time after the noon changeover time. Lesson learned. I think I'm just going to leave the clock set at standard time from now on since all that matters is number of hours of sleep, which isn't affected by whether or not it's DST or standard time. 

Re: using the DreamMapper app: I had been using that for awhile and had it on my phone and had the Bluetooth on the phone and my DreamStation all synched up.  But then, DreamMapper stopped updating my daily therapy data, even after I would refresh the screen on my phone. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone, and made sure all of the Bluetooth settings on both my phone and DreamStation were synched up and working fine. So, I ended up uninstalling DreamMapper and not reinstalling it. Sleepyhead works alot better even though it's a little bit of pain to have to take the SD card out of the DreamStation to download the data. But, since I don't do this everyday, it's not a big deal. 

I used my CPAP machine last night and it recorded the therapy hours, etc. So now, it's just a matter of whether it will hold last night's data throughout the day or it it's going to zero it out again. If it happens again, I'll be talking with my sleep dr or the place where I got the machine from to figure out if there's a problem with the machine, itself. And, even though my sleep dr doesn't look at my SD card when I bring it to my appointments, depending on only the modem, I'll just request that he also download the data from the card, as well. 

Again, thanks for your reply and shedding some light on this. It's interesting that my DreamStation doesn't automatically make the time change like my husband's does or like my various other electronic devices do. But, I'm not going to fool around with this since I don't want the sleep data to get screwed up and misinterpreted by my doctor as my not using the machine. I'm well past Phillips' compliance requirements of having my therapy hours, etc, reported for insurance purposes and I have been in compliance for the almost 3 years I've used the DreamStation. So, no worries from that aspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to download the DreamMapper app again to my phone and link it up to Bluetooth as I also had done in the past. I was curious to see if it had logged the therapy data before I changed the time on my DreamStation yesterday morning.  I was expecting that it would show no data for Saturday night, 11/2. But to my surprise and relief, it shows the therapy data from that night, complete with the correct number of hours I wore the CPAP. So, somehow the data for that one day wasn't lost, although I'm not sure why the LCD screen showed the one-day data at zero. I'm just glad that that night's data wasn't lost.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the exact same problem with my dreamstation.  I posted a question before I read your post.  I changed the clock yesterday afternoon though. Not before the data refreshes at noon. Like you, it shows zeros for all the one day data.  DreamMapper and Oscar show the normal data however.  I have no answers for why it did this.  My DME doesn’t support Philips products other than to sell supplies so they were no help. The place I bought it from (I moved) isn’t much help either.
Post Reply Post Reply
As in your case, my DreamMapper also showed the one day data for Sunday, 11/3, as did my Sleepyhead app. So, while the LCD screen showed zeroes for the one day data, it appears that the data wasn't actually wiped out. According to Sheepish's reply to my post, since the changeover time is around noon, he/she recommended changing the time on our machines in the late afternoon which is apparently well past the changeover time. Did you change the time on your machine in the early afternoon or in the late afternoon? If you changed it in the late afternoon and it still zeroed out your one-day data, then what you and I experienced either may not be related to the changeover time or, since the internal clock on the machine is based on Greenwich Meantime (GMT), maybe the changeover time in GMT isn't noon.  I might contact the people at the place I got my DreamStation or maybe even contact Phillips and see if they can shed some light on this. In the meantime, from now on I'm going to leave my clock set at standard time all year round since the hours of therapy aren't linked to an actual time of day or whether it's standard time or DST, but rather, are logged on the basis of number of hours of use. 

If I find out anything from Phillips or the place I got the machine from, I'll update this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought just crossed my mind and I'm throwing it out there:

Did you "fall back" or "spring forward"? Thinking-about

And are you sure?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I "fell back" when setting my machine. But, you bring up a good point. Since the internal clock is set to Greenwich Meantime (GMT), maybe I had to actually dial the clock forward and cycle through the time going forward rather than a straight going back one hour from the starting point on my machine's clock. Maybe the user manual should give some instructions. But again, I just decided I'm not changing the time anymore since usage is based on number of hours of therapy and isn't actually dependent on a time of day. So, in that case DST or standard time probably aren't that important or relevant.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2019, 01:34 AM)rr4terps Wrote: I had to actually dial the clock forward and cycle through the time going forward rather than a straight going back one hour from the starting point on my machine's clock.

Aha, so your session did get sucked into a vortex of nonexistent time when you inadvertently activated your machine's flux capacitor. Wink 

But as you say, just leave it be from now on; it doesn't really matter. I don't bother changing it anymore either and the only problem I have now is that I get mild OCD twinges. Blink
Post Reply Post Reply
I fell back also. When I changed it was about 3PM Eastern time Afternoon. I am also in the future going to avoid making any changes to the clock.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.