Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Sleep Apnea Report?
My Sleep Apnea Report?
Neither my doctor or DME has explained anything to me. Here is the report some of you suggested I ask for.
I've already mentioned some other pages earlier, that i took jpegs of before, such as the prescription and what number my prescription was, etc, but this part I have not yet come to understand.
I am hoping some of you can tell me anything i need to know, what type of sleep apnea I have, for example, etc.

Let me first say that I have gained a lot of weight for the first time in my life due to medication I was on, now off and am just slowly now starting to lose the weight, which will take some time. Bed

My doctor did offer that he thought i might not have SA once i lose the weight.
Up until 3 years ago, i always slept on my sides and NEVER on my back.
I developed a bit of vertigo and can no longer lie on my right hand side with my right ear down on the pillow as that sets it off.
So I have just started sleeping on my back and I seem to stay on it 100% of the time now and it was at this time that i started to snore.

The prescription has me at 13

I might add, I am not impressed to find out I snore ;-) Its not a trait I associate with femininity. I remember that my mother snored as well and so she must have had SA in suspect, in retrospect.

Thank you.

STUDY INDICATION: The patient underwent a CPAP titration at pressures of 5 through 14cm H20. Initially a face Forme full face mask was used but because of air leakage this was switched to a Mirage medium face mask.

SNORING: The patient was noted to snore at a moderate intensity until a pressure of 14cm H20 was achieved

SLEEP ARCHITECTURE:

First sleep onset latency was immediate.
Sleep efficiency was mildly reduced.
The sleep stage breakdown was normal except for a marked decrease in the frequency of REM
REM Latency was
There were 2 REM episode (s) with normal distribution.
Sleep Fragmentation:
The frequency of persistent arousals was severely increased with almost
⅔ due to respiratory events.
The frequency of sleep stage shifts was severely increased.
Alpha intrusions were frequent.

Respitory Analysis:
The frequency of persistent respiratory events was severely increased at 40/hr.
The oxygen saturation was well maintained.

Movement Analysis:
Restless legs during wakefulness were not seen. The patient displayed no unusual behaviours during sleep. Periodic limb movements during sleep were not seen.

Additional Comments:
Cardiac rate and rhythm were normal

Impression:
An optimal CPAP titration study at a pressure of 14cm H20. Other than the persistence of snoring and a few respiratory events, the patient also did well at pressures of 11 to 12cm H20

Second Question

Using the S9 Escape with the very limited data card, is there any reason for me to use Software?
If so, I have a couple MacBook Pros so would need software for a mac if one were to be recommended?

T.I.A.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Sleep Apnea Report?
(03-05-2014, 09:12 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Sleep Fragmentation:
The frequency of persistent arousals was severely increased with almost
⅔ due to respiratory events.
The frequency of sleep stage shifts was severely increased.
Alpha intrusions were frequent.

This means you kept waking up are almost waking up, coming out of the stages of sleep so you became aware enough to engage the throat muscles and reopen the airway on your own.

Quote:Respitory Analysis:
The frequency of persistent respiratory events was severely increased at 40/hr.
The oxygen saturation was well maintained.

This is saying your AHI was 40 although it does not say what kind of events. It could be either Obstructive (blocked airway) or Hypopnea (almost blocked). I would assume none of them were Central (open airway but brain doesn't think you need to breathe). However, your blood oxygen level didn't drop too much, which is good.

Quote:Movement Analysis:
Restless legs during wakefulness were not seen. The patient displayed no unusual behaviours during sleep. Periodic limb movements during sleep were not seen.

This is good, too. Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) happens during the day and often just as we are ready to go to sleep. Periodic Limb Movement (PLMD) happens during sleep and usually happens during an obstructive event as a way to try to wake us up. It's our brain screaming at us to wake the heck up. You not having any is a good thing but may also show you were not able to fall into a deep enough sleep that the brain needed to scream that loud.

Quote:Additional Comments:
Cardiac rate and rhythm were normal

This is good, too. Shows your heart did not undergo too much stress during the events.

Quote:Impression:
An optimal CPAP titration study at a pressure of 14cm H20. Other than the persistence of snoring and a few respiratory events, the patient also did well at pressures of 11 to 12cm H20

What they do during the titration study is increase the pressure until you stop having events. They may drop it back down again to see if where they start again to find that "sweet spot".

[quote]Second Question

Using the S9 Escape with the very limited data card, is there any reason for me to use Software?
If so, I have a couple MacBook Pros so would need software for a mac if one were to be recommended?[quote]

The S9 Escape only records the hours used, also called compliance data. That's all. So software for you would be useless. If in the future you get a different machine, you would use SleepyHead since ResScan is not usable on a Mac.

What I suggest for you, however, once you settle into this, is to check out Supplier #2 in our Supplier's List. You can get an open box or gently used Autoset. They have just the blower unit as well. That's what I did. I had the Escape already so I got the Autoset blower unit and use it with the humidifier I had with the Escape. It took me a while to save up for it but I'm glad I did.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for explaining that all to me. I will have to ask next time, of them, which type of Sleep Apnea I have then.

The first sleep study I did I slept on my back all night, never moved once, without a mask or machine.
I waS TOLD that they should have made me move onto my side so since they didn't, a second sleep study was needed.

Other than about a 20-40 minute time period I was told to lie on my side, I just want to sleep on my back, which is weird for I could never do so before.
But I only slept well the first 2 hours of that second study.
The first mask was great for 2 hours and then leakage came out so suddenly and fast it woke me up.

She tried adjusting it, and going back to sleep but it would not stop leaking. It felt as if I were losing around 50% that way but i don't know what the accurate percentage was,
She kept tightening the velcro until it because so tight i couldn't sleep as it was digging into my face and scalp and they didn't have my mask there to use, so it got to the point where she was coming in every 10 minutes to check the mask but it became a chore, it just wasn't working after that first 2 hour period.
She finally came in and had me lie on my left hand side at one point but I am not sure if I went to sleep or not.

Then at one point she came in and was pleading with me to try and sleep for just one more hour so she could complete the test. IF i gave her the full hour Id be surprised.

But in my own bed, I'm asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and I don't wake up until its time, 8 or so hours later ;-)

Thanks for the input and thats a very good idea on what to do with getting an S9 Auto. I will look into that idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. If you had Central Sleep Apnea, you would have a totally different machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 11:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. If you had Central Sleep Apnea, you would have a totally different machine.

Thanks Paula for clearing that up for me.

In retrospect I don't feel I had 2 proper tests.

Which i don't need to bother getting into but I have my doubts as to their ability to have given me proper sleep tests.
However I am on the machine and doing just fine which is really what counts in the end.

Central Sleep Apnea it is.
I gather the other one comes from the brain within so I shall assume that one I have is the better of the 2 to have ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.