Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Sleep Apnea issue and story ... need advice
Question 
My Sleep Apnea issue and story ... need advice
Hello ... 

So my name is Allen, and ever since my first girlfriend after my first marriage I found out I have sleep apnea. At first I didn't know what it was or how dangerous it can be. I asked my ex-wife and she knew that I stopped breathing when I slept and just never told me.

So eventually I did get a sleep study done. I think it was in 2015. They gave me a CPAP machine. ResiMed S9 AutoSet H5i. I started using, had trouble and the doctor was hard for me to get a schedule because the only days I was available they weren't. I never was able to meet up due to how my asking off works (If i am sick they will remove my time off and if i call in still it counts against me ... and I can't afford that).

Well, my work started a push in 2016 about sleep apnea and changed what they pay for. So towards the end of the year when they sent an email letting everyone know about it I tried it again. They sent me a study in the mail. They then connected me a to a new Doctor (who I also had scheduling conflicts with ...). The new Doctor prescribed me a System One BiPAP® Auto with Heated Tube and Humidifier. However, the Doctor's office has closed in Jan 2017. Since then I just gave up out of frustration. 

Also when i got my new machine the guy who gave it to me mentioned it was odd I was on a CPAP and then put on a BiPAP. I don't know anything about this so maybe it's weird.

Anyway, I started looking around for a Doctor again and found one that see's people on the day I am off. So I should NOT have conflict with scheduling. But i was wondering if it is odd that I was given a BiPAP after my second study and if you think a third study might be needed? During my first study i was dealing with allergies and my nose was clogged up and that was not happening during my second study, so i wonder if that had an affect?

Anyway ... any ideas? Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Sleep Apnea issue and story ... need advice
astraith, we can without doubt help put you on track, but you need to help us. First you need to use the machine with and SD card in the memory slot. For your PRS1 BiPAP auto, it is a slot in the top-center of the back of the flow generator. You will need to download the free #Sleepyhead software and install it on your computer, and finally, you need to upload some results to the forum. The methods for organizing charts and posting them are the subject of links in my signature.

The most important thing you can do is to go back and ask for the results of your sleep studies. The records will still exist as it wasn't very long ago. The records are yours under the HIPAA law, so don't be concerned about asking for copies. Without some kind of diagnostic or useage information, it is impossible to help you. If you have the study you got in the mail, scan it or find some way to post it on the forum. You can redact any personal information. At least we would have a clue where to start.

Finally, you should know what the settings are on your BiPAP machine. This link shows how to enter the clinical menu. You need to copy the the settings for Mode, EPAP min, EPAP max, IPAP max, and post them on the forum. https://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one...structions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI astraith,
WELCOME! TO THE FORUM.!
HANG IN THERE FOR MORE RESPONSES TO YOUR POST AND GOOD LUCK WITH GETTING YOUR CPAP THERAPY ON TRACK; YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE FOR GUIDANCE.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2018, 08:55 PM)astraith Wrote: Anyway ... any ideas? Thoughts?

At this point it doesn't matter much if it's a CPAP or a BiPAP. The most important thing is that you use one of them consistently.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used an auto CPAP for over a year and recently started BiPAP. The machine helps me the same as the CPAP. I've found that the adjustability of the BiPAP is a little better. I've got it tuned very comfortably.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2018, 09:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: astraith, we can without doubt help put you on track, but you need to help us.  First you need to use the machine with and SD card in the memory slot.  For your PRS1 BiPAP auto, it is a slot in the top-center of the back of the flow generator.  You will need to download the free Sleepyhead software and install it on  your computer, and finally, you need to upload some results to the forum.  The methods for organizing charts and posting them are the subject of links in my signature.  

The most important thing you can do is to go back and ask for the results of your sleep studies. The records will still exist as it wasn't very long ago.  The records are yours under the HIPAA law, so don't be concerned about asking for copies.  Without some kind of diagnostic or useage information, it is impossible to help you.  If you have the study you got in the mail, scan it or find some way to post it on the forum. You can redact any personal information.  At least we would have a clue where to start.  

Finally, you should know what the settings are on your BiPAP machine.  This link shows how to enter the clinical menu.  You need to copy the the settings for  Mode, EPAP min, EPAP max, IPAP max, and post them on the forum.  https://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one...structions

Hey Sleeprider,

I will try to get all that done this weekend! Hopefully my computer still works!

(03-08-2018, 02:33 PM)JesseLee Wrote: I used an auto CPAP for over a year and recently started BiPAP. The machine helps me the same as the CPAP. I've found that the adjustability of the BiPAP is a little better. I've got it tuned very comfortably.

I didn't know you can adjust a BiPAP. :'( But that is cool!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 321 5 hours ago
Last Post: pamm777
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 789 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 12 437 04-16-2024, 06:17 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,538 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.