Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Sleep Study Results
My Sleep Study Results
As promised, here are my results. I was going to post these in my previous thread "CPAP or Mouthpiece", but I couldn't find a way to revise the title of the thread. Anyway, since I have no idea how to read these results, and alot of you folks do, please take a look and let me know what you think. FYI, after gathering info on a few different units, and getting advice from some of the senior members here, I'm leaning towards the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. I was able to gain a ton of valuable knowledge, in the short amount of time ive been here. (Just joined yesterday!) Thanks again to everybody here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Sleep Study Results
Interesting results and impressive hypopnea. The first question is why are you not getting a titration evaluation to identify the best effective CPAP pressure?

You have relatively little apnea, and had only 11 apneas. The concern here is that 5 were obstructive, 4 central and 2-mixed. That means the remaining 172 hypopnea (nearly 30/hour) could be obstructive or central. There was no determination. Your diagnosis is obstructive sleep apnea, and regardless of some central elements, we have to go with that for treatment. Even if you had a titration exam, a CPAP or Bilevel would almost certainly be prescribed anyway. There is a lot of information the study does not provide.

I agree with your inclination to use the Airsense 10 Autoset. It has a more responsive auto algorithm to head-off obstructive events and to keep pressure high enough to avoid hypopnea. The Philips machines tend to let more events occur due to a slower response and faster return to minimum pressures. In addition, the exhale pressure relief in the Airsense 10 is more like bilevel with up to 3-cm of exhale pressure relief. This can be used to significant advantage in treating obstructive hypopnea. Because the Airsense 10 Autoset behaves like a bilevel, we can use the exhale pressure (EPAP) for treatment of obstructive apnea, then use the higher inhale pressure to make breathing easier to encourage more complete breathing and avoid hypopnea. Overall this can be very comfortable and effective. The fact you had some central events raises the concern that CPAP pressure may increase those events, so the objective will be to use enough pressure for OA and H events without using so much that CA events become prominent. Many people end up getting an auto-CPAP and using the default wide-open settings of 4 minimum and 20 maximum. I think you might find a more limited range of 6 to 12 adequate to learn what your needs are. It's easy to increase pressure if needed, and the lower maximum pressure avoids discomfort in new users. A minimum pressure of 4.0 is rarely effective and can feel like you're coming up short on air volume.

In addition to a machine, you will want to consider what mask to use. I like to coach new users to start with a minimal mask like nasal pillows, and to move to a full-face only if they cannot overcome leaking pressure through their mouth. A smaller, lighter mask is logically more comfortable and less obtrusive, and is generally easier to prevent leaks due to minimal surface contact area. I like the Resmed Airfit P10 (for her if your head is small), and try to use a larger pillow size than you think you might need. Read the Mask Primer in my signature links for more.

Good Luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 3 24 18 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,378 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 170 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 402 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 197 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,390 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,544 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.