Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Sleepyhead data
My Sleepyhead data
This is the Sleepyhead report of my first two months of CPAP. It seems to me that my AHI's are all over the place--but I don't know, maybe it's normal to vary like this. Does it seem like my numbers are low enough, or should I ask to change to an autoset machine based on this?

Thanks!

[attachment=822]
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Sleepyhead data
What was your untreated AHI?

Are the leak rates reported there your total leak rates? On the days where your average leak rate is higher than normal, look at that day's data and see if there are spikes in your leak graph. If so, and if there are nights when your machine's on-screen display tells you your leaks are too high, you may need a chin strap.

Are you experiencing any discomfort due to the CPAP pressure? If not, and if you've got your leaks rate under control, you might want to ask your doctor about raising your pressure a bit to see if you can lower your AHI a bit.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My untreated AHI was 33. I do use a chinstrap, because without it, I did have unacceptable leaking. The high leak rates on the graph are the max leaks. My average and 95% leaks are always within acceptable levels. The high maximums come from taking off the mask and the time it takes for the machine to shut off. Also I do occasionally manage to dislodge my mask for short periods, causing leaks, but not often.

I don't have any discomfort from the pressure I'm at (11). My mask fits well and is comfortable. The only discomfort I get is with the chinstrap being itchy sometimes, but it's tolerable.

I don't know whether I should stay the course for a while, or see about raising the pressure, or the third option, trying to get an adjustable machine, because I do have nights in the 2-3 range interspersed with the higher AHI numbers.

(05-09-2014, 12:19 AM)Sleepster Wrote: What was your untreated AHI?

Are the leak rates reported there your total leak rates? On the days where your average leak rate is higher than normal, look at that day's data and see if there are spikes in your leak graph. If so, and if there are nights when your machine's on-screen display tells you your leaks are too high, you may need a chin strap.

Are you experiencing any discomfort due to the CPAP pressure? If not, and if you've got your leaks rate under control, you might want to ask your doctor about raising your pressure a bit to see if you can lower your AHI a bit.

Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2014, 12:33 AM)kderevan Wrote: I don't know whether I should stay the course for a while, or see about raising the pressure, or the third option, trying to get an adjustable machine, because I do have nights in the 2-3 range interspersed with the higher AHI numbers.
3rd option sound good to me, autoPAP such as S9 AutoSet knows when to increase pressure or do nothing depend on the type of apnea. Snoring and flow limitations are signs which proceed obstructive apnea (not central apnea) and usually dealt with pressure increase
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2014, 12:33 AM)kderevan Wrote: My untreated AHI was 33. I do use a chinstrap, because without it, I did have unacceptable leaking.

Your leak rates are under control. That's the first hurdle, and it's fundamental to CPAP therapy. I have to keep watching my data to make sue my chin strap doesn't wear out. When it gets stretched out I have to tighten it; eventually it loses all its elasticity and I have to replace it. They're supposed to last six months, but I get over a year out of them.

If your chin strap is uncomfortable you can try different types. I've found that the blue ResMed, the one with a single strap, works well for me.

Quote:I don't have any discomfort from the pressure I'm at (11).

Then it's likely they'll want to raise your pressure a small amount and see what happens. It's when you need an uncomfortably high pressure that they'll try a APAP or a BiPAP, assuming there are no other complications.

How long have you been on CPAP therapy? Are you noticing any improvement in the way you feel?

So far you seem to be well on your way to successfully treating your sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An auto-titrating machine would be good, but not necessarily required for you to get good therapy.

It looks like your ahi's have leveled out some in the last month. Have you been doing anything differently?

Can you give us a general overview of the break down of types (apnea, hypothesis, clear airway) for the last several days?
That will tell us if increasing the pressure might work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,653 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 898 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 801 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,285 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 vs CPAP data in Sleepyhead Albercook 8 2,390 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Albercook
  Transferring to new Hard Drive - Sleepyhead data files Mosquitobait 3 1,624 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Two months of SleepyHead Data FirstNoele 4 1,563 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.