Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Story
RE: My Story
Welcome to the group...I'm a newbie myself.

I found it interesting talking to my sleep study tech about weight. She said that weight can be a big factor in apnea, but they have a lot of patients that are not overweight at all. Guess there are a lot of causes for the condition. Good luck when you get the machine. Just had my first night on mine...really was a big help already!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again Lola:
You've come to the right place to seek help and good advice.
Hang in there my friend help is on the way!!
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2013, 06:30 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi LolaBelle,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like you have had quite a time of things.
I know all of this can be overwhelming but hang in there.
You have come to the right place for help with your CPAP therapy.
Hang tight for more responses to your questions.

Thank you for the warm welcome! And yes I have had a bit of a long ride figuring this all out but im so glad im on my way to recovery!

(05-03-2013, 08:01 PM)cbramsey Wrote: Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Thank you for the welcome Smile Im so glad I found this board!

(05-03-2013, 10:21 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Hi Lola,

Welcome

That's pretty much how it starts with some people. The apnea always begins to take it's heavy toll.
I am glad you're headed down the right path.

Cheers & good luck!

Thank you for the welcome and yes it does I cant believe how it can sneak up on you like that, I never knew!

(05-04-2013, 01:57 AM)Tez62 Wrote: LolaBelle, just reading your initial post, you know alot of your symptoms and illness's are typically linked to sleep apnea. I think if you go into this with a positive attitude and use your CPAP correctly some or all the things may lift. It's good that you want to lose weight just for your general health and hopefully can stop the onset of diabeties. The weight think is a catch 22, when people have sleep apnea they are tired and don't exercise becasuse they are too tired too and as in your case maybe sleep too much so with the lack of movement they put on weight. They sometimes also need to eat the wrong types of food for emotional eating, more sugary foods. They get a sudden fix if you like but it isn't good for them in the long run. Hopefully once your on CPAP you may have more energy to be able to exercise and you will need a good meal regime, I don't like saying diet because if you eat the right foods and exercise you should lose weight, anyway good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Yes definitely this whole thing is a major change for me I started making a change before I found out because I wanted to be healthier and than this all happened and it just makes me so glad I started this all and I CANT WAITTT until im less tired so working out isn't such a chore.... doing anything is a chore lately at least now I know why Smile it all makes so much sense now Thank you for the welcome!

(05-04-2013, 09:21 AM)iSnooze Wrote: Hi LolaBelle,
like you I noticed that my ability to think and function normally was going downhill and I was sleeping a lot but never felt rested. I'm so grateful for my cpap machine. I never want to feel that way again.

I don't know what to tell you to stop the air from the mask leaking into your eye. I do know that it often takes trying several masks to find the one that works best for you. Everyone's face and pressure tolerance is difference. What works for one isn't guaranteed to work for others.

I've never tried nasal pillows but from what I've heard is it takes a little bit of time to adjust to. You're not used to having some strange item in both nostrils all night long. If might want to try Lansinoh, which is a product used while breastfeeding. Almost every pharmacy or Wal-mart type stores carry it. It would be in the baby section.

Let us know what happens after you meet your doctor and go over the results.

Thank you for the warm welcome and I will definitely be keeping you updated im sure ill have more questions I still have so many of them lol I know i will be hopefully able to try out a couple of different masks to see what works and what doesn't i don't wanna get stuck with just trying one out I wanna see how the other ones are and I will definitely be trying something like that I never thought of lansinoh I know exactly what your talking about that's a brilliant idea Smile theres so many little things I still don't know all the tips and tricks and everything so thank you for that tip!

(05-04-2013, 01:04 PM)TinyL Wrote: Welcome to the group...I'm a newbie myself.

I found it interesting talking to my sleep study tech about weight. She said that weight can be a big factor in apnea, but they have a lot of patients that are not overweight at all. Guess there are a lot of causes for the condition. Good luck when you get the machine. Just had my first night on mine...really was a big help already!

Hello fellow newbie Tongue We both have so much to learn! I'm so glad you got your machine! I cant wait to get mine actually...I don't understand why people are against using it I know its not comfortable and can be scary but the benefits of having your life together and feeling better and actually being able to function greatly outweigh it and I know ill get used to it as time goes by I know just that small amount of sleep I got with my cpap at the sleep study already felt different when I woke up I dunno how to describe it, I just felt more peacefull and I guess more rested I was still tired but I didn't feel like I had been doing things all night in my sleep and not actually resting so it was good keep me updated on your progress!! Big Grin

(05-04-2013, 01:12 PM)Bompa Wrote: Hi again Lola:
You've come to the right place to seek help and good advice.
Hang in there my friend help is on the way!!
Coffee

Hi thank you for your welcoming message!! and yes im glad I found this place belonging to a community really makes a world of difference its a lot less lonely and isolating when you know theres other people going through the same thing! no one in my family has this accept my birth father had sleep apnea but I don't talk to him ( for good reason) so I have no idea if he ever used a cpap or anything so im the only one in my family who has it and its new to me and my husband weve never been around any cpap machines or anything so theres a lot of little things to learn Smile

Thank you all for your messages it definitely makes me a lot more positive about this all so thank you for the support!! Big Grin

Sarah <3
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2013, 01:04 PM)TinyL Wrote: Welcome to the group...I'm a newbie myself.

I found it interesting talking to my sleep study tech about weight. She said that weight can be a big factor in apnea, but they have a lot of patients that are not overweight at all. Guess there are a lot of causes for the condition.

The 2nd sleep technician I had told me that both he and his wife were cpap users and overweight. They both lost weight and she doesn't need the cpap anymore but he still does. According to him that meant his wife had sleep apnea due to excess weight but his wasn't.

(05-04-2013, 02:28 PM)LolaBelle Wrote: ... theres so many little things I still don't know all the tips and tricks and everything so thank you for that tip!

I've been on cpap therapy for 14.5 months and I'm still learning new tips and tricks.

“The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.” ― Voltaire
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2013, 05:06 PM)iSnooze Wrote: The 2nd sleep technician I had told me that both he and his wife were cpap users and overweight. They both lost weight and she doesn't need the cpap anymore but he still does. According to him that meant his wife had sleep apnea due to excess weight but his wasn't.

I've been on cpap therapy for 14.5 months and I'm still learning new tips and tricks.

Im glad your on your cpap therapy and everythings going well btw i love your hedgehog picture i used to have one of those! he was a cute little albino his name was tucker but we ended up calling him hedgie and I know ive heard that(about the weight thing) I also heard from somewhere ( I read it somewhere I cant remember where Sad...) that sometimes extra tissue can stay in your throat like if its caused my weight gain which causes excess tissue in your throat that some of it can remain after just like excess skin on your stomach arms etc and that eventually it can snap back or it will remain similar to stretch marks and things...I want to know if that's true or not! im still waiting to see my doc to find out for sure if its just my weight or if theres another reason for it but either way im so glad I found out about it and am on my way to being treated because even if it goes away after I lose this weight ( im currently 268 and 5'6" was 293 but started doing jillian michaels shortly before my discovery of this) its going to make everything so much better and easier in the meantime and if it doesn't go away after due to excess tissue remaining or there being a diff reason than im already set up with my machine and good to go and my quality of life will be so much better <3 my point was im happy I found this out because either way life will be better and so much easier and im not gonna be dragging my butt everywhere I go anymore! I just slept 12 hours almost 13 and im still tired I tried waking up earlier after about 8 hours of sleep and I just couldn't do it I had a headache and since I had no where to be today I was like " no im going back to sleep" lol I cant wait to sleep normally! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2013, 12:33 PM)LolaBelle Wrote: ... I also heard from somewhere ( I read it somewhere I cant remember where Sad...) that sometimes extra tissue can stay in your throat like if its caused my weight gain which causes excess tissue in your throat that some of it can remain after just like excess skin on your stomach arms etc and that eventually it can snap back or it will remain similar to stretch marks and things...I want to know if that's true or not!

I don't know if that happens with people but when I was in high school a few centuries ago a friend of mine had a dog who was overweight and snored terribly. The pooch lost the weight but the snoring continued. The vet said that there was a piece of fat in the throat was still there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2013, 08:18 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I don't know if that happens with people but when I was in high school a few centuries ago a friend of mine had a dog who was overweight and snored terribly. The pooch lost the weight but the snoring continued. The vet said that there was a piece of fat in the throat was still there.

That's definitely interesting I think theres something to that!

Post Reply Post Reply
The way obstructive sleep apnea has been explained to me is over millions of years humans have evolved and when you see pictures of cavemen they have large jaws. What has happened through evolution is our jaws have got smaller and too small for our tongues in some cases, so when we are aslepp our jaw relaxes even more and our tongues collapse over our throat and stop us from breathing. If we are over weight and have thick tissue around the throat obviosly it doesn't help, but that is why losing weight doesn't necessarily help. Then you also have Central sleep apnea which is different again and basically nothing can help it except CPAP. The jaws explanation is why cavemen never had sleep apnea but who knows because we weren't around in those days and the reason why animals can never have sleep apnea because of their jaw structure. It doesn't mean they can't snore because I know mine does.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2013, 10:45 PM)Tez62 Wrote: The way obstructive sleep apnea has been explained to me is over millions of years humans have evolved and when you see pictures of cavemen they have large jaws. What has happened through evolution is our jaws have got smaller and too small for our tongues in some cases, so when we are aslepp our jaw relaxes even more and our tongues collapse over our throat and stop us from breathing. If we are over weight and have thick tissue around the throat obviosly it doesn't help, but that is why losing weight doesn't necessarily help. Then you also have Central sleep apnea which is different again and basically nothing can help it except CPAP. The jaws explanation is why cavemen never had sleep apnea but who knows because we weren't around in those days and the reason why animals can never have sleep apnea because of their jaw structure. It doesn't mean they can't snore because I know mine does.

That actually makes a lot of sense just like the whole wisdom teeth thing and how even my dentist said people without wisdom teeth are more evolved lol( I have two Sad I must only be half evolved lol) because our jaws got smaller and we no longer need them
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2013, 11:39 PM)LolaBelle Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 10:45 PM)Tez62 Wrote: The way obstructive sleep apnea has been explained to me is over millions of years humans have evolved and when you see pictures of cavemen they have large jaws. What has happened through evolution is our jaws have got smaller and too small for our tongues in some cases, so when we are aslepp our jaw relaxes even more and our tongues collapse over our throat and stop us from breathing. If we are over weight and have thick tissue around the throat obviosly it doesn't help, but that is why losing weight doesn't necessarily help. Then you also have Central sleep apnea which is different again and basically nothing can help it except CPAP. The jaws explanation is why cavemen never had sleep apnea but who knows because we weren't around in those days and the reason why animals can never have sleep apnea because of their jaw structure. It doesn't mean they can't snore because I know mine does.

That actually makes a lot of sense just like the whole wisdom teeth thing and how even my dentist said people without wisdom teeth are more evolved lol( I have two Sad I must only be half evolved lol) because our jaws got smaller and we no longer need them

It's not just the jaw structure. It's one of the penalties we pay for standing upright. Pretend you are a dog or cat and get down on your hands and knees. In order to see where you're going you'll have to throw your head way back as far as you can. At that point your airway becomes a straight line. When you stand upright your airway becomes L-shaped. The point where the bend occurs is right at the base of the tongue.

However, in spite of having to put up with sleep apnea, I'm happy to stand upright because another benefit of the L-shaped airway is human speech. Animals cannot physically produce the range of sounds required to distinguish thousands of words from each other.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,852 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 901 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,018 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Geer1's Story - It isn't always Apnea (or UARS) Geer1 8 1,128 05-20-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Llort
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,842 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.