Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Therapy Thread: [reports+updates]
RE: My Therapy Thread: reports+updates
Resmed graphs flow limitations and uses them in its auto-pressure algorithm. It also uses EPR which is an effective way to treat flow limitation. If you really want to focus on flow limits it is a much better device. I'm not sure, but you may have User Defined Flags in Oscar. These can show flow reductions of 20% and 50%. Maybe that will help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Therapy Thread: reports+updates
(01-08-2021, 10:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  I'm not sure, but you may have User Defined Flags in Oscar. These can show flow reductions of 20% and 50%.  Maybe that will help.

Fantastic idea. I'll prepare the charts with User Def Flags and report back shortly. If this helps identify flow limits reliably then....

(01-08-2021, 10:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed graphs flow limitations and uses them in its auto-pressure algorithm. It also uses EPR which is an effective way to treat flow limitation.  If you really want to focus on flow limits it is a much better device.

I'd get this machine if I indeed have a FL problem. Let me get back with the User Defined flags charts and take it from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Therapy Thread: [reports+updates]
OK, charts attached. I defined:

UF1 (50for5) as flow restriction down to 50% for 5 seconds
UF2 (60for5) as flow restriction down to 60% for 5 seconds

50for5 was 9.77 per hour
60for5 was 5.25 per hour

Also attached is the Resp. Rate, Tidal Volume, Minute Vent and Insp Time for the same 11-minutes sample.

Looks like I have so many mini events that don't match the definition. I'm not sure what to make of that. These don't seem (to my uneducated eyes) to be flow limitations but rather semi-events. Is there anything I could conclude from this info?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That seems to identify the periods of lower respiratory volume. On the detail graphs for minute vent, tidal volume I think you should customize the Y-axis scale. Just right click next to the label and use the context menu for y-axis/override, and put in a more appropriate scale, i.e. tidal volume 0 to 1500, minute vent 0 to 20.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Y-axis fixed

Post Reply Post Reply
As you can see, the tidal volume and minute vent are actually higher where your UF flags occur. This seems to show a longer inspirolatory time rather than strictly a restricted flow. The start of inspiration appears to be a relatively low flow rate, but it amounts to a larger volume breath. I don't get this extent of variation in Vt or Vm when I compare.yours to mine. I think this is one of the benefits of pressure support on my bilevel machine, that each inspiration receives pressure support that seems to even out the volume. The missing graph in your chart is respiration rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Here it is with resp rate included.

So if this is not flow limitation, what is it? And could it be why my cpap therapy hasn't given me better results than I'm experiencing? Or, is it just something normal and I'm lost in the details? I'm seriously confused.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's not what I would define as normal, if such a thing even exists. You have flow limitation to some degree, but I can't interpret why the flow reductions are occurring, only that they are present. My best guess is that you have partial apnea or flow restriction from time to time just as you transition from exhale to inhale. This is why some breaths have an inspiration time of up to 6 seconds, and results in a hypopnea or flagged UF. Your typical respiration rate is somewhere around 15 bpm or about 4 seconds per cycle. Obviously if you are spending that much time in inspiration, you are losing breath cycles that are just short of the definition of apnea. Whether that arises from a lack of pressure support, pressure or other therapy parameter is very difficult to know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
MADAwake, take a look at this from a recent post on the forum http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...epy?page=3 The O.P. took our advise and got a Resmed. Compare his graphs in post 29 to those earlier in the thread that look a LOT like yours.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the pointer, Sleeprider, that's really interesting. Maybe a VAuto is what eventually would help, but before paying for it I wanted to look at different things in an effort to try and verify my issue is just FL and not something else. So last night I upped the APAP to 11-12 and surely AHI went down even further. However my custom flags are still high. But I noticed something very interesting!

What's interesting: The "events" (whether official or user defined), consistently, everyday, gather at periods of reduced respiratory rate. This is cyclic! Last night's chart is a good example that shows the cycles and correlation.

Every night while asleep, when I'm breathing near & above my median rate I get little or no events or flags. Rate slowly goes down to a point when stuff starts happening. Then slowly goes up and no events or flags. Then slowly goes down and the cycles continue.

I'm a noob looking at these charts, so maybe it's the other way around, maybe events are causing the lower resp rate?

Isn't this indicative of events happening at a certain sleep stage? Or maybe chin tucking or something similar?

Oximeter & pulse are on the charts too for last night.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 172 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,362 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,214 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.