Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Wife Keep Waking up at Night!
RE: My Wife Keep Waking up at Night!
Pressure support enhances ventilation rate and reduces CO2 in the bloodstream. The response to this effect of pressure support (the difference between IPAP and EPAP) varies considerably from person to person, but can lead to hypocapnia, which will directly affect respiratory drive and cause CA. The effect increases at high pressure support levels, and decreases as pressure support is decreased. The effect of of a reduction of pressure support in improving CA is not completely predictable, and it is present at low levels with your wife, however that is the principle we use in suggesting lower pressure support in the presence of CA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Hi Sleeprider,
With SH chart, what should I look for if I want to know the quality of a sleep my wife have? Does it tell me when she woke up at night?
I know the AHI showing the amount of apnea events a person have per hours, but is that also indicate the amount
of time a person woken up at night?
I have been slowly increasing the IPAP pressure on my wife's Bilevel machine, and trying out different FFM and 
soft cervical collar and managed to keep the AHI below 2!
So far so good!

[attachment=7346][attachment=7347]
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sleeprider but I'll answer until he shows up. Looking at the flow chart I'd guess she woke up 3 maybe 4 times during the night. All but one not lasting very long. Now this is all a guess based on the flow rate and no chart can really say how the quality of her sleep was. The best way to know would be to ask her if she felt rested.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla's guess and advice is as good as mine.   Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
After two months with the new Resmed Aircurve 10 vauto and wearing a soft cervical collar, my wife AHI floating between 2-3 cmH2O. The setting of the machine is EPAP=8, IPAP=16.4, PS=4.
The doctor ruled out COPD in restricting her restricted expiration.  
The quality of sleep is not great but tolerating. She keep arousing several time at night, and sometime finding hard to get back into sleep again.
He oxygen blood saturation 95%, and a great improvement from BILEVEL therapy. In 15 September 2015, when she did her first home sleep study, an oxygen nadir of 69% and a desaturation event of 18.6/hr was recorded.
I did tried to reduced the central apnea and obstructive apnea by reducing the PS=3.4. But not much has change in apnea events and the respiratory rate and tidal volume dropped a little.
My question is how can she improve her quality of sleep from here on? Is minimize the complex apnea of central apnea and obstructive apnea the way to do it? Is it worth trying the Resmed Aircuve 10 with backup rate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Your wife's therapy looks good, and you should check if much of the AHI is short duration events as I suspect. We have discussed in the past that your wife's median respiration rate is a slow 9 breaths per minute, or 6.7 seconds per breath. Any pause of 3-seconds above her normal breathing rate can flag an apnea, but may be normal for her.

In this graph, her resp rate is approaching 12 BPM (3-breaths/15 seconds) so during CA clusters, her respiration rate does seem a little higher. The AHI is certainly within tolerable levels and I don't know that it would be helpful to pursue a more aggressive therapy like ASV as there is considerably more disturbance inherent in the varying pressure support with ASV. I'm not sure the events being flagged as centrals are particularly bad in her case, and may be caused by her sleep disturbance as opposed to being the source. Just something to consider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waking up with interrupted sleep for weeks now.. Jiggy 14 500 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Clue to night waking panic attack in data? willo 6 257 12-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: willo
  Lot of RERA; waking during night Linnea 12 666 11-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Breathing w/Nose Pillows waking me up isuckatsleeping 14 949 11-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Matt00926
  New CPAP user frequent waking Spike9726 16 629 11-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Spike9726
  [Treatment] Waking up on BiPap [adjustment assistance needed] rowanbustaman 12 639 10-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: rowanbustaman
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 398 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.