Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My ahi value does not fall below 5.
RE: My ahi value does not fall below 5.
I set my pressure to 6. and I limited my ramp to 15 minutes. What is the meaning of flex values? What does 1,2 and 3 mean? What is the purpose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex on Respironics machines is similar to EPR (exhale pressure relief) on ResMed machines. The machine will drop the pressure when you exhale, as some folk struggle with that and it makes it a bit easier.

So, in your case, with a DreamStation, the Flex will drop approximately up to 2 cm pressure when exhaling.
It's a comfort feature... you don't have to use it, but it does help some.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2020, 01:15 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Flex on Respironics machines is similar to EPR (exhale pressure relief) on ResMed machines.  The machine will drop the pressure when you exhale, as some folk struggle with that and it makes it a bit easier.

So, in your case, with a DreamStation, the Flex will drop approximately up to 2 cm pressure when exhaling.

Hi OR - Just trying to clarify.  I thought the three settings for FLEX, 1, 2, and 3, referred to the cm dropped on exhale. Meaning setting 1 drops 1cm. Setting 2 is 2 cm, and 3 is 3cm.  Is that not true?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2020, 01:51 PM)mrmagloo Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 01:15 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Flex on Respironics machines is similar to EPR (exhale pressure relief) on ResMed machines.  The machine will drop the pressure when you exhale, as some folk struggle with that and it makes it a bit easier.

Hi OR - Just trying to clarify.  I thought the three settings for FLEX, 1, 2, and 3, referred to the cm dropped on exhale. Meaning setting 1 drops 1cm. Setting 2 is 2 cm, and 3 is 3cm.  Is that not true?  Thanks!

That only applies to ResMed EPR 1,2 and 3. Not so with Flex.

If you look at a pressure graph with someone using flex, you will almost never see a drop more than 2cm.

With Flex, it is based on Flow and almost never gives a pressure drop of more than 2cm, regardless which setting you use.
The "feel" of Flex will be different depending which setting is used.  See explanation below:  

Flex settings 1, 2, and 3. for PR machines
You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, which is flow based.
• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How can I reach the document that covers titles such as periodic breating and clear airway in detail.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2020, 10:29 AM)josephanzel Wrote: I set my pressure to 6. and I limited my ramp to 15 minutes. What is the meaning of flex values? What does 1,2 and 3 mean? What is the purpose?

Sorry about my first reply to you, Joseph.  I neglected to look at your profile to see that English is probably only a second language to you.

Do you know what 'back-pressure' is?  It is necessary in all types of engine that use pressure against a piston to accomplish work, but the back-pressure is necessary for proper pressure wave function when exhausting the cylinder.  It works for our lungs the same way; they are like pistons, except the lungs are also the cylinders.  Some of us need some back-pressure to evacuate the lungs while keeping our airways open.  Flex and EPR are like back-pressure.  Some of us do okay with very little Flex/EPR, some of us need more.  We each have to find out what our best level is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2020, 04:04 PM)josephanzel Wrote: How can I reach the document that covers titles such as periodic breating and clear airway in detail.

Im sure others will point you in he right direction - but i am finding the sites WIKI to be helpful

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Wiki_Home

the defintions page can help with a lot of the terminology

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions

such as 

Periodic Breathing (PB) - Periodic breathing is defined as three or more episodes of central apnea lasting at least 3 seconds, separated by no more than 20 seconds of normal breathing.

So maybe a good place to get started until someone can point you in the direction of something that has more in depth detail.

hope that helps for now
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2020, 04:04 PM)josephanzel Wrote: How can I reach the document that covers titles such as periodic breating and clear airway in detail.

Visit the Wiki...link at top of page.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_(CSA)

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...espiration

Also this guide is detailed with graphs that show what Periodic Breathing might look like.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I set the minimum pressure to 8 on your recommendations.

I reduced the ramp time to 15 minutes.

I chose my flex value as 2.

I got the following result last night. 

Do you have any other suggestions? 

Thanks for your help.

[Image: VBg9mr.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 239 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,591 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Can't fall asleep with the CPAP. Settings for just getting used to it? hejohoo 4 570 08-23-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Unable to Fall Asleep with CPAP johnnva 1 448 07-24-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Melman
Rainbow Got a VAUTO 6 weeks ago. I haven't been able to fall asleep. squado 3 650 07-10-2023, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can't fall back to sleep with the mask on after waking up in the night NoddingHacker 2 723 10-21-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.