Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My article on today's Huff Post re sleep apnea journey
My article on today's Huff Post re sleep apnea journey
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-marqu...69602.html

Hi Friends - Thought some of you would be interested in this article. Thanks for all the help you've given me in reaching a point where I love the benefits of the CPAP (although I doubt I'll ever love strapping that mask on my face each night...). Jane

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My article on today's Huff Post re sleep apnea journey
Hi Jane

Nice article! I think you've given a very fair and detailed account of what life's like as a hosehead. Like you, I don't think I'll ever come to love my machine, but I do respect it in the morning. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
182 days but who is counting and still struggling. Your story is very similar to mine. Same symptoms, problems, and benefits. But, as you said in the article, the benefits out weigh the problems. The part you left out was, the benefits FAR, FAR, FAR out weigh the problems.

P.S. The CPAP does not count as carry on luggage. Laugh-a-lot
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
When you become eligible for US Medicare, perhaps you'll write an article on how difficult competitive bidding has made the task of obtaining expendable supplies.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JaneAM,
Thank you for this article, and also for making many other people aware of sleep apnea.
Keep up the good work, and continued success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jane,
Thanks for the very encouraging article, I am in the early days of CPAP and I just purchased a dreamstation too. It is good to hear the benefits will outweigh the negatives and I will keep persisting with it.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Great article and your journey sounds a lot like mine - your outrage, perhaps even embarrassment at the diagnosis certainly is, not to mention the attempts at acupuncture etc...I am still struggling, on my third machine (others had glitches) and can only say I had one night (4 hours) which went well. I have to keep believing but this is tough - your article and all the support on this great forum is what keeps me trying (not to mention my throat collapsing many times an hour!).
Post Reply Post Reply
Great article JaneAM
Post Reply Post Reply
Great article.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2016, 09:08 PM)JaneAM Wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-marqu...69602.html

Hi Friends - Thought some of you would be interested in this article. Thanks for all the help you've given me in reaching a point where I love the benefits of the CPAP (although I doubt I'll ever love strapping that mask on my face each night...). Jane

Wonderful article, Jane. Articles like this raise awareness and help our fellow humans. Many people may be unaware that SuperSleeper, the administrator of Apnea Board, has this wonderful discussion board here only for the very same reason.

Your experience with sleep doctors and with equipment providers is, sadly, typical. But there are many very good exceptions. It is possible to find caring professionals, but it's not easy. I think part of the problem is that CPAP therapy is different from other forms of medical treatment, and our already antiquated systems of medical treatment are just not prepared to deal with it properly. Equipment manufacturers make their products attractive to the equipment providers, not necessarily the equipment users.

Finally, Jane, I note that in your article you said that you are unsure how much of your apnea is due to airway obstructions and how much is due to the brain simply not ordering the body to breathe when you're asleep. The former condition is called obstructive sleep apnea, while the latter is called central sleep apnea. Obstructive is by far more common, and is sometimes accompanied by at least some central apnea, in which case the diagnosis is "mixed" sleep apnea.

You report your diagnosis as "obstructive", so it's doubtful there's a significant central component mixed in there. Good CPAP machines (the only kind worth buying) make a pretty decent attempt at determining whether your apneas are obstructive or central. Yours will raise the pressure in response only to the former. It's also pretty good at recognizing an impending airway collapse by an analysis of your breathing pattern (called flow limitation) and can raise the pressure in response to prevent obstructive apneas.

People with central sleep apnea need an advanced machine that will sort of force them to breathe (by cycling the pressure) should the brain forget to do its job.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 110 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 197 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 162 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 96 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 185 04-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 124 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,031 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.