Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My attempts at a custom made mask
My attempts at a custom made mask
Actually, custom-made nasal mask/nasal pillow hybrid might be a more accurate if awkward title.

I have a beard and for some reason, the P10 did not fit my nostrils. I have F&P Eson which only leaks when I'm in any position other than flat on my back. The back pain from sleeping in only one position is actually almost gone. For several days it was pretty bad.

I started my pursuit of a better maks with a company that sells products to make special effects and movie prosthetics. 

[Image: PFuTuLMm.jpg]

The silicone is platinum cured and skin safe.

My first step was to make a mold of my nose. I put earplugs in my nostrils so that I wouldn't get silicone up my nose but that made the casting too wide.

[Image: KLj7Y6am.jpg]

Then I realized that I only needed the nostrils and spent a lot of time trying to attach my custom part to a P10 headband.

[Image: wAjvaNzm.jpg]  [Image: m47vB8gm.jpg]  [Image: IPRGLi1m.jpg] 

They leaked. They seemed to leak whenever they moved side-to-side so I thought I would add material on the sides of my nose. 

[Image: 15Qjtalm.jpg]

I realized that that still moved too much and caused leaks. The end of the nose is just too flexible.

The leaking was because my custom design fit too well.

The more contact area, the more the force of the elastic headband is spread out.  I read somewhere on another thread that someone trying a custom mask found that they had to make it very tight so that it would not leak.  So tight that it was too uncomfortable to wear.

It needs to be stable side-to-side and only make sealing contact at a ring around the inside edge of the nostrils. 

My current plan is to make a mask that; 

• Makes contact over a large portion of the bridge of my nose to limit side-to-side movement. (I don't want to resort to s mouthpiece.)
  • Does not make contact with the outsides of my nostrils (similar to the Eson)
  • Contacts the inside edge of my nostrils for the seal (like nasal pillows)
  • The contact/sealing portion may not have to be as thin as a typical nasal pillow since to should be a very custom fit.  

This plan requires that I kinda start all over with a new full nose cast. 

Collectively, you folks have probably thought more about CPAP mask fitting than anyone else on the planet!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you can give.

Here's to a good night's sleep!
George

(Not sure this is in the correct place. I saw some old threads on custom masks but they were closed or inactive. I didn't put it in product reviews because it is not a product but that is the place many folks discuss masks. If there is a better place for this please let me know)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My attempts at a custom made mask
I have no idea about how to make pillow masks. But the you do have a very majestic nose. Amazing
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to say it is far less majestic without earplugs crammed up my nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Noice!

Your castings seem very rough. you can get a mirror finish on your castings if you polish your mold.

I'd personally go nose scan->CAD->3d printed prototypes->3d printed mold->mold polishing->silicone cast

I can help you with CAD portion if you want. Just get me a 3d model of your nose and I can come up with some design.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! What a wonderful offer. I have access to a 3D printer. Have you ever used the 3D scanner apps for a phone? 

How do you get the scale right on a scanned image? Should I put a dime in the image?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several ways a scanner can achieve the correct dimensions.  One is to use a Part Coordinate System (PCS) by setting a zero point on the object to be scanned and all coordinantes are in relation to that point.  Another method is to use a Machine Coordinate System (MCS) This is the scanner's zero point when first initialized. You would then select one of the scanned points and have all other scanned points report their deltas to that point.  This data can even be adjusted in CAD software, even scaling the actual object.  Because of this an artifact is not required.

I hope you didn't ask the time and I told you how to build the watch.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't need the correct size for the design. Only correct geometry. You'll figure out the scale in your slicing software before printing a prototype to fit into the nose. 

You can try photogrammetry and make alot of pictures of your nose cast like this:
https://youtu.be/fqgKhNq-w-8

or

Go to a 3D shop that has a professional scanner.

I also noticed you use P10. That is a terrible mask. It leaks even when you don't move. The problem are the straps.

After trying P10 i went with Swift FX instead,this one holds great side-to-side. Now I'm using Dreamwear nasal. It holds the best I can move like I want never leaks and the hose is on my head.

I think if you made a custom strap your own molds might work just as fine. Many options, whether the right one is among them is not clear.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd suggest trying the brivida mask from fisher & paykel with the air pillow cushion. might be just what your looking for....
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2018, 05:24 PM)Albercook Wrote: I have a beard and for some reason, the P10 did not fit my nostrils.

(04-23-2018, 03:26 PM)dmeRT Wrote: I'd suggest trying the brivida mask from fisher & paykel with the air pillow cushion.  might be just what your looking for....

Oddly enough, the F&P Brevida, though a good mask when clean-shaven, did not work well when I started growing whiskers oldman  , whereas the P10 has been performing well with my hirsute countenance. It might be that the Brevida would actually be worse for him if he has a beard, but as it's always wise to say, especially in cases of mask fit, YMMV.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid245011
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto Sheepish.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 445 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 398 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  Made a few tweaks , trying to analyze FordGuy84 0 401 06-05-2023, 04:16 PM
Last Post: FordGuy84
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,639 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Any chages to be made to CPAP machine? No real guidance msb1xr 1 634 12-21-2022, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,321 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Made (Therapy Thread) Made 37 2,031 08-12-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.