Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
RE: My battery backup setup
Regardless of voltage, I would be happy if they would just get a way from the logic sensing circuits and non-standard plugs.

I could just as easily hook up a 24 V battery or two 12s in series to get there. But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeVillbiss power management on the Intellipap had it all over both ResMed and Respironics. Plug in 120/240 V AC. Plug in 12 V battery. It would prioritize the AC circuit and switch over to the 12 V battery when AC was interrupted. Then switch back when AC was restored. Uses a simple 5.5x2.5 mm coaxial DC plug you could buy from anywhere to hook to battery. Hook battery to low end wall wart Battery Tender. Done for all failure contingencies. All built in. All user friendly and user pocketbook friendly. And their machines were pretty much bulletproof tough. I still contend that htey were a much under-appreciated machine.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2016, 09:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Oh crap! I've stumbled into an electrical engineer's convention. Rolleyes

Don't get me wrong, I love it when you guys can de-solder a microscopic chip on a board, but I happen to know you're pedantic about circuits and still have a messy garage. Laugh-a-lot

Hey, Mrs. Mongo is responsible for the shameful state of the garage.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2016, 09:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Oh crap! I've stumbled into an electrical engineer's convention. Rolleyes

Don't get me wrong, I love it when you guys can de-solder a microscopic chip on a board, but I happen to know you're pedantic about circuits and still have a messy garage. Laugh-a-lot

You caught us!

But you can help because you know a lot yourself.

You can help answer the question of whether there is any advantage of the ResMed A10 over its competitors that we can ascribe to the voltage or sense circuit.

But before we can do that, we'd have to know if the ResMed A10 is actually better than the competitor's equipment in any way.

Is it?
How is the A10 markedly better than the closest competitor (who uses a standard power supply)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I should probably point out that Philips Respironics has already joined the ResMed proprietary club with the introduction of the DreamStation line.

They use they same type of plug (same dimensions, but right angled) as the A10 but they use a simple 100k ohm resistor to +12V on the center pin. The outer barrel is ground and the inner barrel is +12V. I posted this info in another thread a while back.

I haven't tested for the voltage or resistance limits on the center pin, yet. But I do know that if the signal is missing, the machine doesn't work.

Of course, this hasn't stopped at least one vendor (BPS) from offering a buck-boost converter (for a 12V lithium battery pack) for the DS (12V) or a boost converter (for a 12 volt battery) for the A10 (24V).

Just more info.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay so rife with speculation and the same old "If I can't think of any other reason then it must be what I think it is." This is not logic or scientific in any way.

You ever consider that someone might just mess up their CPAP and deny that they used anything other than a ResMed power supply? You and I might not do this but people do indeed do this. The harder you make it the better.

Do you understand motor drive circuits and that power = volts * amps, so if you double the voltage you have to control half the current? you understand that inductors (motor windings) resist changes in current? So the low the current the easier it is to control the motor?

You understand how much liability insurance for medical equipment costs?

You understand how large of a settlement a jury would award if something could have been done to make equipment safer and the manufacturer decided to not do it because of cost?

Is a ResMed power supply over priced for what it does, you bet! Do any of us understand what product development and testing and citification for medical equipment cost, very few.

Do any of us understand just how much crap and junk used to be on the market that did noting at all, betya a lot of us have laughed at the stuff that used to be sold. It STILL gets on the market and on kickstarter. If everybody was honest and knew enough to actually make good equipment then we would not need government regulation at all.

Until then for the most part I will over pay for medical equipment and still tinker with it to get around their safe guards. I encourage anyone else that knows what they are doing to do this also. There are so many things out there that soak money right out of you pockets that most people don't even know about, ask me about store loyalty programs and big data mining sometime.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2016, 11:25 PM)PoolQ Wrote: There are so many things out there that soak money right out of you pockets that most people don't even know about, ask me about store loyalty programs and big data mining sometime.

Veering off topic -
Does this mean that Safeway and Kroger are going to score my food purchase history that shows tater chips, ice cream, beer, and Twinkies like a credit score and sell it to the health insurance companies?!?! Speaking of tater chips, ice cream, beer and Twinkies, it's almost time for breakfast.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2016, 10:44 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:

You caught us!

But you can help because you know a lot yourself.

You can help answer the question of whether there is any advantage of the ResMed A10 over its competitors that we can ascribe to the voltage or sense circuit.

But before we can do that, we'd have to know if the ResMed A10 is actually better than the competitor's equipment in any way.

Is it?
How is the A10 markedly better than the closest competitor (who uses a standard power supply)?

Okay gotcha covered! The A10 responds faster to obstructive cues to prevent OA and offers a wider range of exhale pressure relief. This works better for some people. On the other hand, the PR machines act more like a CPAP and has more conservative changes in pressure, and routinely evaluates higher pressure by increasing pressure by 1.5 cm every 40 minutes, and this works better for some people.

The easy solution is to own one of each like I do. Take the PR machine on the road, and keep the Resmed machine at home. The choice of power supply is not related to efficacy in any manner I have found. However, regardless of circuitry, this will not help you to find anything in that garage stuffed full of old oscilloscopes, tubes, diodes and obsolete manuals along with an assortment of shop tools and junk you plan to fix someday.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2016, 06:04 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 11:25 PM)PoolQ Wrote: There are so many things out there that soak money right out of you pockets that most people don't even know about, ask me about store loyalty programs and big data mining sometime.

Veering off topic -
Does this mean that Safeway and Kroger are going to score my food purchase history that shows tater chips, ice cream, beer, and Twinkies like a credit score and sell it to the health insurance companies?!?! Speaking of tater chips, ice cream, beer and Twinkies, it's almost time for breakfast.

OMMOHY
+1 Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile big data and stores, sorry for the distraction. Most programs collect strange information about when some unidentified person (they know it is the same person, but maybe not exactly who that person is) buy peanut butter and everything else, what on earth could they find valuable in this information?

As a store I now know exactly how often and by how much I can increase pricing and have the customers still buy product and not complain about my price increases. Some people say that this is only cents per item and who cares and while true, it is cents per item, for every item you buy and several times a year. Increases of 50% a year or even at a time are not unheard of, and I know we are all independently wealthy here so it does not matter, but my income does not increase by 50% a year or even close.

They now know where the pain threshold is and they are indeed increasing the prices for everything as fast as they can. Verified this at the store just recently: salad shrimp went from $6.99 a pound to $10.99 a pound and then back down in 2 days- guy at the counter said "yep and we stopped selling shrimp" so I guess a 57% increase was a tad too much

Back to the thread-a one time purchase of an $85 converter is fine with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2016, 12:57 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Back to the thread-a one time purchase of an $85 converter is fine with me.

I agree. However, what is a problem is when they change what kind of a converter you need for each model. For example, going from the S8 to the S9 to the Air10 you need a different converter.

I don't have personal experience with the S8, but from what I know the S9 and Air10 actually have the same power requirements. Changing the plugs and therefore the adapters required is ridiculous. It reminds me of when cell phones all required different power adapters - at least the same manufacturer generally kept the same plug from phone to phone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 76 10 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,672 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,937 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.