Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
RE: My battery backup setup
OK guys, I am going to apologize upfront. This is a loooong post. I spent a most of the evening reading posts and got up to page 12. I did not even get half way through. I see there are some amazingly smart people posting, so maybe someone can make this simple for me.
I have severe COPD (never smoked short stick I guess). I have always been athletically active. At 58 I am not going down easy. I just had a COPD exacerbation and now need more O2 than I am willing to carry to hike. I tested positive for the flu 4 weeks ago and it was rapid crash ending in 8 days in the hospital and diminished lung function. I want to get it back.

So while in the hospital I thought. I bet I could take my Resmed S9 and hook a lithium ion battery to it and be able to use my liquid portable oxygen into the CPAP with a nasal pillow and hike (ya I am literally a die hard).

I think the deep cell and gel batteries would be too heavy so hoping I could use a lithium ion or like a backup car battery jumper. I do not need nor want over night capabilities. I just want to hike for 2-4 hours without worrying about, augh, going dead so to speak.

It seems the original post started with the Resmed S9 CPAP but after a few pages and a couple years morphed into the S10. I have the S9 and bought a spare as well as a backup in case I break it or fry it. I see where the S10 needs 3.3vdc to make it talk. Did not read anything about this regarding the S9 other than the S9 needs the Resmed DC-DC 12v-24v 90 watt rated adapter to shake hands. At 80 bucks a bit irritating as Ebay has 12-24 converters for under 20. But hey, what can you say. Can't fault Resmed for making a profit on their efforts.

So here we are. I am not real electronically minded but I can certainly solder and understand simple basics. Like buy this, splice this, plug this and do this and the machine will shake hands with the input feed and you can hit the trail.

So can someone give me a simple "lightweight" solution good for 2-4 hours to get my S9 up and running and me out and walking?

Thanks in advance as you all totally amaze me.

Post Reply Post Reply
the ideal of using a CPAP for daytime hiking is a bit far out. If you need supplemental oxygen, just apply it with a canula and go slow. Positive air pressure to apply non-invasive ventilation during wakeful periods, let alone activity is not consistent with the purpose of a CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Their are respiratory exercises to regain some lung function.
Look into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_t...siotherapy
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am already am in hospital PT program and have been for years. I go 4 times a week when they are open and another time or two at home as well as try to stay on my feet for several hours a day. In addition to the PT light weight program, I lift weights at home a couple times a week. I need over 6 lpm to hike. Not going to happen with tanks alone or LOX alone. My docs say it is fine to use a CPAP to work out. The real point of PT is to build more efficient muscles and endurance thus reducing the load on lungs and heart. You have to breathe to do that, if CPAP helps to that end nothing wrong with it. I do not use CPAP at rehab however. I useCPAP occasionally with weights. I am currently going through assessment for LVRS as a bridge to transplant.

So I am thinking of using a 800A Peak 20000mAh Car Jump Starter Battery Booster Charger which is very light weight rather than a jell or deep cell battery. Will that work?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some battery solutions that have been proven to run CPAP or Bilevel for up to 16 hours with enough reserve not to damage the battery. If you look on Amazon for the PowerAdd Pilot Pro 36,0000 mAh lithium battery, it is capable of multiple voltage outputs, including 12 volt, and includes numerous adapter leads. This is a very lightweight solution that would have no trouble powering your S9 for a full day of hiking with a minimal weight penalty.

Your S9 requires a 24 volt power supply, and you will have to buy the Resmed S9 12 Volt power converter to use any 12 volt power source. So, buying the PowerAdd Pilot Pro, and the Resmed up-converter. If you want a more efficient CPAP for hiking and exercise, a 12 volt travel CPAP without humidifier may be your answer. This could be run without the converter directly from the battery, but of course the units are not that cheap.

I wasn't sure whether to take your first post seriously, as it has not come up before, and this was a pretty old thread. Sorry to have doubted you. The solution above is a pretty good answer for light-weight and long-lasting power for your machine, or a more efficient 12 volt CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is exactly the type of information I am looking for. Perfect.
Thank you.
I figured the lithium ions would work from a booster but didn't want to damage my machine. That is powerful battery.

I have no idea if the CPAP hiker will work for me but I have always been a gonzo outdoorsman. I would like to try to stay out there as long as I can. It is good therapy for me. I was good until my last exasperation. That knocked me over the 6-lpm limit on my liquid oxygen. The CPAP cuts my oxygen need about in half.
I guess about a quarter of the people with COPD have not smoked. For me it has been an unexplained and frustrating odyssey. I have always worked out probably more than 90 percent of the population. I still do. It doesn't look pretty but I am still pounding away and love to have my feet connected to dirt and stone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish you the best of luck. You need to test the battery with the CPAP when it arrives. Early batteries had about a 30% failure rate, and would shut down when a CPAP was started. They accept exchanges, and once you find a good battery, they seem to be very good. This is mainly used by the camping and motorcycle contingent out there.

If you get tired of carrying oxygen or equipment, you might want to consider a large dog, or (believe it or not) a goat. We used to do day hikes with pack goats in the Sierra. Wethered goats like La-manchas are large, gentle and capable pack animals, and a lot cheaper than a horse. Dogs have been companion and service animals forever, and service dogs are accepted even in restricted places like airports, apartments and commercial stores. Might be a more fun way to deal with the desire to hike and need to carry equipment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2016, 08:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I wish you the best of luck. You need to test the battery with the CPAP when it arrives. Early batteries had about a 30% failure rate, and would shut down when a CPAP was started. They accept exchanges, and once you find a good battery, they seem to be very good. This is mainly used by the camping and motorcycle contingent out there.

If you get tired of carrying oxygen or equipment, you might want to consider a large dog, or (believe it or not) a goat. We used to do day hikes with pack goats in the Sierra. Wethered goats like La-manchas are large, gentle and capable pack animals, and a lot cheaper than a horse. Dogs have been companion and service animals forever, and service dogs are accepted even in restricted places like airports, apartments and commercial stores. Might be a more fun way to deal with the desire to hike and need to carry equipment.

You know I had not thought about that but that is a good idea. One of my best friends ran a llama outfitting business so I did a lot of hiking with llamas. What a way to go. When my lungs first started declining I would mountain bikejor with my hunting dogs. That was a kick. Now we are down to my wife's miniature poodle. He could be a firm maybe as he is a pretty large miniature. Good idea. I am going to give that some thought and see how things go.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not liking the idea of a miniature poodle doing hikes and carrying oxygen cylinders, CPAP and battery. A Lab, Golden Retriever, or Shepard is something else. Good for both of you. If you did pack gear on an animal, they make longer CPAP hoses. Getting a harness pack is not hard. "Ruffwear Palisades" is a great one. Not that I would wish your problems on anyone, bur working with a good dog to stay active, would put a whole different spin on it for me. Imagine the satisfaction of training a mature rescued dog, and saving each other.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
A refloat of one of the best amateur technological threads.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,907 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 300 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,741 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,030 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 232 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 2,019 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.