Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
RE: My battery backup setup
(01-30-2016, 02:00 PM)bartbrn Wrote: 1. Anyone find any other good DIY battery back-up solutions for a ResMed AirSense 10 (I guess it's an Autoset) CPAP machine.
2. How do I run this WITHOUT the humidifier? Do I just put an empty tub in, or do I have to turn off "humidifier" on the ResMed AirSense 10?

1. You can now purchase as Airsense 10 - 12V - cigarette lighter plug pack, with female socket and aligator clips included in kit. This was not intially available for the AirSense10 when released (only S9).
From there, its your own choice of AGM\Deep cycle, or other battery equivalent.

2. Yes, just put in the empty water tub, or purchase the 'side panel' separately to close off the tub side (great if you plan to do a lot of use without humidifier \ camping etc on 12v) - in both cases yes, turn humidifer off in settings.
If this cabin stay although month long is not 'regular' event or\and packing space is not an issue, just use the empty water chamber and save yourself some $$$.

Google both items on the Resmed site, then contact your preferred local supplier or one of the supplier on the site list here for pricing and such.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2016, 06:50 PM)DruiD Wrote: ...or one of the supplier on the site list here for pricing and such.

Thanks, DruiD! Where will I find the site list?

Bart

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 10:00 AM)bartbrn Wrote:
(01-30-2016, 06:50 PM)DruiD Wrote: ...or one of the supplier on the site list here for pricing and such.

Thanks, DruiD! Where will I find the site list?

Bart

bartbrn,
Suppliers list at top of page
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 10:46 AM)OpalRose Wrote: bartbrn,
Suppliers list at top of page

Opal Rose and everyone -- Thank you. I'm cursed, by having had my sleep study done at the Middlesex Hospital Sleep Disorder Clinic in Middletown, CT, into HAVING to use Apria Healthcare, which HAS to be one of the most incredibly inefficient retail organizations ever put on earth by a fevered mind. For an organization that would seem to exist for the purpose of making money, their arcane customer service, apparently headquartered in Timbuktu, and staffed by "English as a non-existent-language customer service reps" make it nearly impossible (and today, actually impossible, because of a bad headset mike in Timbuktu, apparently) to understand more than two words out of 20.

Questions:

1. I was hoping to order a PILOT-24 CPAP BACKUP BATTERY POWER SUPPLY (S9 & AIRSENSE 10) at $339 (ouch!), and I'd asked the Middlesex Hospital Sleep Disorder Clinic to write me a prescription for one, in the probably wishful-thinking hope that either Medicare or my United Healthcare Medicare Buy Up Plan might partially cover the cost. I'm NOT optimistic. Anyone had any experience with medical insurance and battery back-ups?

That brings me to question 2:

2. Regarding GeoffD's battery back-up setup at the beginning of his thread:

"The power went out a week and a half ago. This finally prompted me to get myself a battery backup setup for my spare ResMed S9 AutoSet.

"ML35-12 Mighty Max 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery ($63.99 on Amazon)

"ResMed 12v-24v DC-DC converter ($84.95 from an online DME)
0.75 amp Battery Tender Jr.($27.69 on Amazon)"

I need a battery back-up for a ResMed AirSense-10 Autoset with humidifier. I've ordered a NON-CLimateLine hose to use with the battery back-up, and now I know to turn the humidifier OFF when running on battery power, but -- please correct me if I'm wrong -- GeoffD was specifically talking about "a battery backup setup for my spare ResMed S9 AutoSet."

IIRC, the ResMed AutoSet runs on an input from the powerpack of 12VDC, while my ResMed AutoSense S10 Autoset requires -- I think -- 24VDC from the powerpack. Would the "ResMed 12v-24v DC-DC converter" that GeoffD uses be compatible with my AirSense 10?

I already have two 0.75 amp battery tenders (not to be confused with "Chicken Tenders) -- I have three motorcycles.

My situation:

I live on a part of the Connecticut coast that suffers power outages a LOT -- about 3 big storms ago, we lost power, and had no battery back up (and no place to charge it) for 11 (eleven) days. By the 10th day, my uvula had become so irritated and swollen, it lay on the back of my tongue and blocked my airway -- I had to sleep (when I COULD sleep) head-down, and it took me three weeks to recover. There's ONE good reason.

Next Spring, I'm going on a month-long retreat in a cabin in the Upstate New York woods -- no electricity, a privy, and a water pipe coming out of the ground from a freshwater spring; but I CAN recharge this backup battery every day, plus I'll have my car with me, so I can recharge from that, in a pinch.

Does anyone have anything to add to GeoffD's post of 03/27/15? Is there a better solution for my problem? GeoffD's setup for $150 sure beats $340 for ResMed's bespoke battery back-up for the Airsense 10, especially if my insurance won't help offset the cost.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I get something that's going to work. Even ONE night without my CPAP leaves me in bad shape the next day.

Thanks again to all!

Bart

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear of all your problems with Apria, but that seems to be the normal for them.

As far as battery backup system, I've never heard of any insurance policy or Medicare to cover that.

I can't offer help on a battery backup system...don't know enough about them, but there are plenty of folk here that do.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For extended period without power you will need a solar panel charger.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2016, 03:21 PM)bartbrn Wrote: IIRC, the ResMed AutoSet runs on an input from the powerpack of 12VDC, while my ResMed AutoSense S10 Autoset requires -- I think -- 24VDC from the powerpack. Would the "ResMed 12v-24v DC-DC converter" that GeoffD uses be compatible with my AirSense 10?

Regarding the DC-DC converter, you'll need to use the Resmed dc-dc converter made for the A10 (sometimes referred to as the S10) the S9 converter won't work. You can use either 12vdc or 24vdc as your power source. The adapter works with either.

I bought mine from Supplier #26. It is product code 37297.
I also bought the side cover to delete the humidifier from the same place.

PDF on the converter
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
bartbrn -

Both the S-9 and S-10 (screw all that Airsense 10 caca) are 24 V DC. The evil minds at ResMed, however, have made it impossible or damn near impossible in all material respects, to direct power their units off ob battery (bless the folks at PR as I can and do with PRS One - and the DeVillbiss folks too).

You have to buy the ResMed DC-DC power supply at a price approaching $100. It has a "secret handshake" traveling on a third conductor that the units want before they will turn on.

The ResMed DC-DC converters don't care if they are getting 12 or 24 volt DC power.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for responding!

Is the "ResMed DC-DC power supply" you're talking about the same one GeoffD is using:

"ResMed 12v-24v DC-DC converter ($84.95 from an online DME)"

Unfortunately, I'm locked into the Middlesex Hospital System (Middletown, CT), so I'm also locked into the Middlesex Sleep Disorder Clinic, and apparently Apria has an exclusive contract with the Middlesex Hospital System, so anything I order that has even a remote hope of being partially or fully covered by Medicare or my United Health Care Medicare Buy-Up Plan has to be by prescription from the Middlesex Sleep Disorder Clinic, and that means Apria, which means ResMed.

"The evil minds at ResMed..." Truer words were never spoken. To add insult to injury, it took me FIVE DAYS of unreturned phone calls to Apria, but I insisted, during the FIVE HOUR call yesterday, being transferred from department to department to department , and then I finally get someone who told me "Oh, yes. I see you asked for a new ResMed S-10." meaning the whole $800 unit. I DID NOT ask for a new S-10 -- my S-10 is 2 years old; before that, I had an ancient Respironics Solo LX Deluxe (I didn't know I could get a new one every five years -- mine ran for 15, and still runs fine). The only reason I got the ResMed S-10 is that nobody makes (anymore), a humidifier for the Respironics, and I was waking up with a bloody nose most days in the winter.

Maybe I should get a battery back-up for the old Respironics unit for travel and my month-long sojourn in the backwoods this summer -- not likely I'll need the humidifier.. Anyone had any battery back-up experience with the Respironics Solo LX Deluxe?

Thanks to all again, the people on this forum are life (and mind) savers! Considering how difficult and time-consuming -- and almost always wrong -- it is getting info from Apria/ResMed, I'd probably be better off putting together my own battery back-up like GeoffD's for the Respironics Solo LX Deluxe

Thanks to all again!

Bart
Post Reply Post Reply
I was discussing this elsewhere. I am deeply involved with radio controlled airplanes and helicopters. No not drones. We use some pretty good size LiPo batteries. They are lighter than the AGM equivelent. There are also LiFe batteries but they tend to be more expensive. A 3S 5Ah (12V) LiPo is about $27 dollars on HobbyKing. I was trying to mimic the 15 Ah battery pack sold by PR for my machine. So that would take three in parallel.

You can also get 6S 5Ah (24 Volts) but they cost about $100 each.

You also need a special charger. But i already have several high power chargers. So I may put something like this together. I understand that using those types of batteries might be a little DIY for many here but for those comfortable with some electrical stuff, it is an option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 111 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,945 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.