Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
My battery backup setup
The power went out a week and a half ago. This finally prompted me to get myself a battery backup setup for my spare ResMed S9 AutoSet.

ML35-12 Mighty Max 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery ($63.99 on Amazon)
ResMed 12v-24v DC-DC converter ($84.95 from an online DME)
0.75 amp Battery Tender Jr.($27.69 on Amazon)

[Image: 16922865986_c2d4bd28bc_c.jpg]

With a deep cycle AGM battery, you're supposed to be able to draw the battery down to 20%. With a 35 amp-hour battery, that gives me 28 amp-hours of usable power.

According to the ResMed battery guide, with the slimline hose and no humidifier using my settings, it draws about an amp at 12v. I should be able run it on the boat for 3 days and not need to worry about killing my boat's battery bank. With the heated ClimateLine hose and the humidifier running, I should get most of a night out of it.

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My battery backup setup
Good to go. Just remember to ditch the pictured humidificator.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Man that's a gnarly set up!
Post Reply Post Reply
I like it. You might want to put an Ammeter inline with the CPAP 12-24 Volt converter positive lead and test the actual current pulled.
Most DVMs can measure current in the range of interest. My Fluke certainly can.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You could have wired 2 12 volt batteries together to give you 24V instead of 1 battery and the $85 12V to 24V converter... This would double your battery life, and save you $21.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2015, 06:15 PM)player Wrote: You could have wired 2 12 volt batteries together to give you 24V instead of 1 battery and the $85 12V to 24V converter... This would double your battery life, and save you $21.

That apparently doesn't work. There's a third wire on the connector with some undocumented signal. The S9 won't work unless it sees the signal. Someone reported that they monitored it and it was some sort of serial data signal.

I don't know of any source for the connector, either. You'd have to cut the connector off of an existing ResMed S9 power brick or adapter.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also for 24 Volts there are 12 lead-acid cells in series. The Voltage will vary depending upon state of charge from about 25.2 to 23.4 -- the converter compensates for that.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 05:04 PM)GeoffD Wrote: The power went out a week and a half ago. This finally prompted me to get myself a battery backup setup for my spare ResMed S9 AutoSet.

ML35-12 Mighty Max 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery ($63.99 on Amazon)
ResMed 12v-24v DC-DC converter ($84.95 from an online DME)
0.75 amp Battery Tender Jr.($27.69 on Amazon)

[Image: 16922865986_c2d4bd28bc_c.jpg]

With a deep cycle AGM battery, you're supposed to be able to draw the battery down to 20%. With a 35 amp-hour battery, that gives me 28 amp-hours of usable power.

According to the ResMed battery guide, with the slimline hose and no humidifier using my settings, it draws about an amp at 12v. I should be able run it on the boat for 3 days and not need to worry about killing my boat's battery bank. With the heated ClimateLine hose and the humidifier running, I should get most of a night out of it.

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

What kind of boat?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2015, 01:37 PM)justMongo Wrote: I like it. You might want to put an Ammeter inline with the CPAP 12-24 Volt converter positive lead and test the actual current pulled.
Most DVMs can measure current in the range of interest. My Fluke certainly can.

Remember, when it comes to multi-meters, if you find one that works well, it's a Fluke.

OMMOHY
Model 87 V
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 07:13 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: What kind of boat?

Nothing too big...
[Image: Typhoon3.jpg]
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,672 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,937 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.