Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My battery backup setup
RE: My battery backup setup
Thanks, rhodesengr. Here's the way I see the ResMed captivity:

12V Respironics DC battery adapter cable Respironics (Philips) $39.99

ResMed AirSense 10 DC Converter (This DC Converter connects the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 to a 12V or 24V battery power source, including the battery used in a boat, car or recreational vehicle) $135

Maybe apples & oranges -- what do I know? -- but this seems to be the Resmed (and Apria) way of doing business. BTW, this morning I finally reached the Apria liaison who has a permanent office at the Middlesex Sleep Disorder Clinic (that's how interlinked they are), and told her that the last Apria minion I talked to yesterday in my 5-hour marathon call said to me "Oh, yes. I see you asked for a new ResMed AirSense-10." The Apria rep blew her top (if I worked for Apria, I'd blow my top every 10 minutes): "No, you did NOT order a new ResMed AirSense-10, you ordered a battery back-up, a humidifier tank, and a NON CLimateLine NON-heated hose." I said that's the way *I* remembered it, and she rung off to try to track down the knuckleheads who messed up the order.

I've found, sadly, that the ONLY way to get Apria to do anything RIGHT is to harass them incessantly. I'm retired, I have time to do that, but I sure would love to get back the approximately 10 hours I wasted on the phone during the past 8 days with non-existent, then existent-but-clueless, Apria reps. I feel truly sorry for those who are still working, like my son-in-law -- also an Apria ResMed CPAP user -- who have to hold down a 9-5 job AND try to deal with Apria, ResMed, their sleep clinic, their respiratory physician, their primary physician, and Apria's incredible (in the WORST sense of the word) "automated phone system"... which translates to "a kludged phone system that will automatically turn your brain to corn meal mush"

I urge anyone who has a choice: DON'T DEAL WITH APRIA IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR SANITY.

Rant mode OFF

Bart

Post Reply Post Reply
bartbrn -

That is one reason why I often refer to ResMed as "Evil Basta[oh, you can complete that yourself]" and going forward, will try and avoid anything made by them since 2011 or thereabouts...

You are not locked into Apria or anyone else for the purchase of the DC converter. It is not an Rx item to my knowledge (and even if it is you could INSIST to the sleep lab Dr. to provide you a separate script.

I don't know if the S-9 and S-10 use the same converter box but you can probably just buy it from virtually any of the numbered online suppliers (click "Supplier List" up at the top right of the page).

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
+1. Don't get me started about Apria. Since I go through Kaiser (if i want stuff free on insurance) and Kaiser ( for some unknown reason) uses Apria, I too am stuck dealing with Apria which is always a hassle. But if I am willing to buy things outright, I can just order things online.

I was just talking about battery options. You'd have to get the proper adapter (or at least the right size DC plug) and then adapt the batteries. Since it seems i can post links now, here is a 12V 5Ah Lipo and here is a 5Ah 24V Lipo

[Direct commercial link removed-- instead, do a Google search for "hobby king 12V 5Ah Lipo" and "hobby king 5Ah 24V Lipo"]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2016, 01:06 PM)bartbrn Wrote: ResMed AirSense 10 DC Converter (This DC Converter connects the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 to a 12V or 24V battery power source, including the battery used in a boat, car or recreational vehicle) $135

FYI: Supplier #26 has this for $84.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2016, 01:47 PM)AlanE Wrote: FYI: Supplier #26 has this for $84.

Thanks!

Bart

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to let you all know, Supplier #18 also has this:

ResMed AirSense 10 DC Converter (This DC Converter connects the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 to a 12V or 24V battery power source, including the battery used in a boat, car or recreational vehicle)

for $84, and if you apply the coupon "HOLIDAY" at checkout, you get an additional 15% Off Sitewide (EXPIRES: 04/20/2016), for a final price (no tax and free shipping) of $71.40:

QTY PRODUCT HCPCS PRICE/EA TOTAL

1 AirSense™ 10 & AirCurve™ 10 Machine Series DC Power Converter with Cord $99.00 $99.00
Discount ($15.00) ($15.00)
Package: 37297 - DC Power Converter with Cord

Coupon Code: HOLIDAY: ($12.60)
Shipping: FREE Ground Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00

Total: $71.40

I just hope I ordered the right thing!

Bart
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 01:42 PM)bartbrn Wrote: Just to let you all know, Supplier #18 also has this:

ResMed AirSense 10 DC Converter (This DC Converter connects the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 to a 12V or 24V battery power source, including the battery used in a boat, car or recreational vehicle)

for $84, and if you apply the coupon "HOLIDAY" at checkout, you get an additional 15% Off Sitewide (EXPIRES: 04/20/2016), for a final price (no tax and free shipping) of $71.40:

QTY PRODUCT HCPCS PRICE/EA TOTAL

1 AirSense™ 10 & AirCurve™ 10 Machine Series DC Power Converter with Cord $99.00 $99.00
Discount ($15.00) ($15.00)
Package: 37297 - DC Power Converter with Cord

Coupon Code: HOLIDAY: ($12.60)
Shipping: FREE Ground Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00

Total: $71.40

I just hope I ordered the right thing!

Bart

Nice find. 37297 is the right part #.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 09:21 PM)AlanE Wrote: Nice find. 37297 is the right part #.

I find it nearly impossible to believe I got it right; that so rarely happens!

Per GeoffD's post #1 in this thread, I'm looking at ordering:

"ML35-12 Mighty Max 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery ($63.99 on Amazon)"

OR

"ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery ($63.99 on Amazon)

Mighty Max's customer support isn't open until Monday, so I guess I'll find out then, but though these two batteries have slightly different titles, they have exactly the same specs... and Amazon shows a manufacturer part number for only ONE of them:

Here are the specs on both these the ML35-12 Mighty Max 35 amp-hour battery:

Delivering power when you need it, the Mighty Max ML35-12 12 Volt 35 AH uses a state of the art, heavy-duty, calcium-alloy grid that provides exceptional performance and service life in both float and cyclic applications.

The ML35-12 is an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology with a valve regulated design, that can be used in enclosed and indoor environments without leaking or maintenance, providing a superior performance for thousands of models.

Mighty Max SLA batteries are utilized in a wide variety of applications including; Consumer Electronics, Electric Vehicles, Engine Starters, Golf Carts, Hunting, Lawn and Garden Tools, Medical Mobility, Motorcycles, Power sports, Portable Tools, Solar, Toys and Hobby, Access Control Devices, Emergency Lighting, Security and more.

Specifications:
Voltage: 12 Volt
Amperage: 35 AH
Chemistry: SLA, AGM
Battery Dimensions:
7.68 in x 5.16 in x 7.13 in
Weight: 23.15 Lbs (!)
Warranty: 1 Year

Is this "Sealed Lead Acid" "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery technology the way to go, or should I look for a LiPo or LiIon?

Thanks again to all!

Bart
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2016, 02:12 PM)bartbrn Wrote: Is this "Sealed Lead Acid" "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery technology the way to go, or should I look for a LiPo or LiIon?

Thanks again to all!

Bart

It depends. The SLA/AGM is the most cost efficient of the selection. The LiFePO4 batteries can be quite nice and light but they are ungodly expensive still. Also have to make sure you are getting a true deep cycle LiFePO4 battery and not getting a starting battery if you go that route (primary benefit for the LiFePO4 batteries is weight savings). No opinion on LiIon batteries.

The 35-39 AH SLA/AGM battery is the "Goldilocks" battery around the house for me. 25 pounds is easily luggable and gets me several days of CPAP power. Also have a 140 w solar panel (approx 2.5' x 4.5') and charger that should charge a moderately discharged battery of that capacity in a day.

I primarily use the CSB EVH series battery as it has a 39 AH battery in the same size and at approximate weight as everybody else's 35 AH (25.35# vs. 23.15#). I also like that they are a brand name battery supplier with a long and trusted history in computer UPS applications (the CSBs are not generally sold through Amazon - there are a lot however that come up as "CSB UPS **replacement** batteries" that are sold there - I think there's a reason they are using the CSB name in their description to try and sell their batteries. They might be good batteries and legitimate substitutions but they are also trying to use someone else's reputation ...). I also use the Powersonic batteries. Will also consider MK battery in few years when I buy new ones. And there are other brand name batteries that I would trust. If you are in the US (your profile doesn't say), there is probably an Interstate Battery or Batteries Plus Bulbs store somewhere local or reasonably close.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Found a source not on the Supplier List (or else it's too early in the morning for my eyes to focus): [commercial link removed - instead, do a google search for "atbatt"]. They carry CSB EVH batteries like this one:

CSB EVH12390 Deep Cycle AGM Battery
A 12V deep cycle battery that is designed for deep discharges. Perfect for mobility scooters, golf carts and other vehicles.
SKU: EVH12390

Chemistry Lead Acid
Capacity 39Ah
Rating whr 468 {CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT "whr" MEANS?
Cellnum 6
Length 7.7 inches
Width 5.12 inches
Height 6.09 inches
Weight 25.35 lbs
Upc 880487243554
Warranty 1 Year
Bci Group Size U1
Price: $79.99

Original CSB EVH12390 12 volt 39Ah sealed lead acid battery with Nut and Bolt terminals from AtBatt. The EVH12390 is CSB's deep cycle electric vehicle battery, which is designed for modern hi-tech energy applications such as mobility chairs, golf carts, scooters, and hand system tools. EVH12390 is a long life, deep cycle, low self-discharge rate battery that offers high reliabilty.
Maintenance free
Sealed Construction, mounts in most positions.
With special formula to manufacture lead calcium alloy as well as automatic progresses, dangerous gas will not be generated.
Long life, low self-discharge rate and high reliability.
It has safety, low resistance so recharge is easy and energy output is more remarkable.
Container material is frame retardant ABS with ranking UL 94V-0.
Cycle or standby (or float) use.
High rate discharge construction.
Deep discharge recoverability.
CSB batteries are strictly tested by our patented CCDS (computer charge/discharge system).
ISO9001, 14001 certified.
UL recognized components under UL 924 CSB file number MH14533.
Complies with IATA/ICAO Special Provision A67 for air transport.
Classified per MG Amendment 27 as a non-hazardous material for water transport.
Recognized by DOT as "Dry charge" 49 CFR 171-189 for surface transport.

Shipping: $11.71 Ground

Several other suppliers carry the genuine CSB EVH12390 Battery, but with shipping, they all come out to about $90-$100

Thanks!

Bart

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 113 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,945 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.